Author Topic: Voting  (Read 2142 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Voting
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2020, 12:55:19 pm »
We plan on taking the day or as much of it as we need. If it is cold out, we will take turns standing in line and sitting in the car. Not really sure why though as the state we live in is heavily weighted for the 'other' side and our votes are basically meaningless, especially at the national level. Still, at least they show up in the final, national count and if enough people did pass on voting because they thought it pointless then the total returns would be skewed and give the incorrect snapshot of what the population actually voted for.

There is early voting here at town hall that already started and will be open through election day. We might take a ride over to see if there is a line or not.

Also, the polling places are very short staffed this cycle due to the fact that the volunteers are almost all elderly and of course many are wary of Covid 19.... or Coquish nineen if their dentures fit poorly. Sorry, I could not resist.

Well said about both sides coloring outside the lines.  :thumbs:

I suggest you vote early.

We went and did our early vote on Wednesday.
Got there about 8:00 and home by 9:00. Wasn't bad at all.
Kinda shocked me, as I hope for a extra good turnout this year.
Houston had a record turnout that day too... (guess i just got lucky).

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2020, 01:42:32 pm »
However, this thread was about "voting", that is the actual task of it, not which party is more desirable (the sword awaits, flaming and on high).

Actually...  I believe the thread topic-leading question was eclipsed by the second question/statement, which was most certainly loaded, if not outright political:

And the rest of you bought into the fraud claims?

I interpret that as disdain and ridicule, worded as such as to encourage an argument.  Let's not pretend otherwise.  I don't mind debate and argumentation, especially when grounded in facts, and when it doesn't become personal attacks or uncivil.  Thus far, the latter hasn't occurred... yet.  But based on past observation, it is probably just a matter of time...

Anyway, had the "question" been worded "What are your thoughts on voting fraud?" or "Are you concerned about fraud with unsolicited, main-in ballots?" then it would be a different picture.  However, one could easily read what was written as:  "The rest of you who choose not to vote by mail are suckers because you bought into false fraud claims."  And then....

Voting security a veil for voter suppression.  Only a problem when Trump cannot win without suppressing the votes.
Republicans are up to their old tricks, suppressing votes

Does it seem like a genuine question at that point?  Or a political accusation from the start?  I think the latter.

The word "fairness" is always a warning sign for me because it can be so distorted by beliefs that we will never agree on what it actually is.

Indeed.  "Fairness" is usually (or at least often) a moral concept, which is not something that can really be objectively argued. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 04:13:57 pm »
Best statement I ever heard about voting was from Gallagher (the watermelon guy) who I used to go see every year- much better in person IMO. But anyway, he said that we should all spend some time finding that person we know who is going to vote exactly the opposite of us on every politician, issue, fund and everything else on the current ballot. Then, on voting day, the two of you go fishing together. That still makes me smile.....

I've seen him in person and totally agree on the going fishing together or even riding together.  Take away the politics and find something in common.  I've been doing that for years and it works for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2020, 07:26:44 pm »
Well, that was not really the point- the point is that the two votes cancel each other out so once you find that person all you have to do is to not vote and keep him / her from voting as well. The fishing part was a metaphor more about killing the day and busily NOT voting :-)

I've seen him in person and totally agree on the going fishing together or even riding together.  Take away the politics and find something in common.  I've been doing that for years and it works for me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline DC Concours

• 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2020, 09:10:25 pm »
26+ million ballots already cast. This is an astounding amount of voting that has already taken place. Interesting stats for anyone who's curious. I wonder how many of these votes are fraud.

https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2020, 09:26:38 pm »
I hadn't even looked until yesterday- VA does have early in-person voting already.  I think it is new.  In my city, there are 5 locations, open all week, each week.  Maybe I will take that option instead of risking being stuck in a multi-hour line.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2020, 09:32:52 pm »
Definitely take advantage of early voting if you can. Way better. Imagine how crowded Nov 3rd will be. We are having great weather here so do it while it is warm and you can stand in line on a sunny day than in snow/rain and wind.

I hadn't even looked until yesterday- VA does have early in-person voting already.  I think it is new.  In my city, there are 5 locations, open all week, each week.  Maybe I will take that option instead of risking being stuck in a multi-hour line.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:02 am »

They've been doing it for awhile in all the localities I've been visiting.  It's a mixture.  In my county of King George, they have voting booths at the registrar's office and you can drop off your ballots as well directly or put them in a lock box.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2020, 07:05:57 am »
I don't think there is a lot of "fair" emanating from either party.  And what the media is doing is especially not "fair."

As opposed to the lies that come out of Biden and Harris?  Lying about systemic racism nonsense.  Lying about shooting statistics.  Lying about Trump not condemning white supremacists.  Lying about Biden family not accepting money for from foreign interests.  Lying about not being opposed to fracking.   Lying about not raising taxes if discontinuing the Trump tax cuts.  Lying about Trump's vet comments.  Biden lying about his education.  Lying that Trump would threaten Medicaid.  Lying that the pandemic outcome would have been much better under Democratic leadership.  Biden essentially lying about his mental health status while still hiding from unscripted interviews, thinking he is running for the Senate, not remembering the name/order of his running mate, the pledge of allegiance, the preamble to the Declaration of Independence, his previous President, what state he is in, who he last ran against, any statistic numbers.  Lies about a drunk driver killing his wife and daughter.  Possible lies about his own sex scandals.  And now instead of outright lying about not packing [ruining] the supreme court, they just refuse to tell us what we already know they will do.

Trump says a lot of poorly-worded, and sometimes even stupid stuff, that is for sure.  And few cringe over it more than I do.  But I will take his poorly-articulated but well-positioned and executed policies, any day, over well-worded/articulated but poor positions and policies of Biden/Harris.

Please tell me one thing Max. how many American lives have been lost as a result of Biden's alleged lies? 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2020, 08:32:17 am »
Please tell me one thing Max. how many American lives have been lost as a result of Biden's alleged lies?

I don't think any such metric is valid or possible on either.  And to think, in retrospect, it would much different had they been swapped the past term, is folly.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2020, 09:37:15 am »
Trump proclaims 'National Character Counts Week' Oct 15 - 21.

President Trump declared the week of Oct. 15-21 National Character Counts Week in a proclamation Friday.

"We celebrate National Character Counts Week because few things are more important than cultivating strong character in all our citizens, especially our young people," Trump said. "As parents, educators, and civic and church leaders, we must always work to cultivate strength of character in our Nation's youth."

"Character can be hard to define, but we see it in every day acts — raising and providing for a family with loving devotion, working hard to make the most of an education, and giving back to devastated communities," the statement continues. "Character is forged around kitchen tables, built in civic organizations, and developed in houses of worship."

:o

Nothing like setting a good example for our young people, thank you Mr President.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 09:58:56 am »

LOL- OK, that is funny!

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 10:01:32 am »

I don't think any such metric is valid or possible on either.  And to think, in retrospect, it would much different had they been swapped the past term, is folly.

Mr C. if you are referring indirectly to Covid caused deaths because of something the President said.....that would be hard to show. Truth is people can be very stupid regardless of who they listen too. If Hillary had been president we can speculate that she probably would not have touted Qualaquin as a valid covid treatment. However we have no idea what her actual response to covid would be. Chances are that people that have listened to the current president for their health choices (and died) would have instead listened to some other crack pot's recommendations if he wasn't president. People acting stupidly were doing that well before the current president.  However, if you are referring to deaths caused by something other than covid related deaths and caused by orange faced presidential lies...I would like to hear more, either here or through a PM. I recommend the latter because as I said earlier, I can feel the radiating heat and hear the air sizzle of the flaming steel above our heads.  ::) ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

President Trump declared the week of Oct. 15-21 National Character Counts Week in a proclamation Friday.

"We celebrate National Character Counts Week because few things are more important than cultivating strong character in all our citizens, especially our young people," Trump said. "As parents, educators, and civic and church leaders, we must always work to cultivate strength of character in our Nation's youth."

"Character can be hard to define, but we see it in every day acts — raising and providing for a family with loving devotion, working hard to make the most of an education, and giving back to devastated communities," the statement continues. "Character is forged around kitchen tables, built in civic organizations, and developed in houses of worship."

:o

Nothing like setting a good example for our young people, thank you Mr President.

So true, I remember fondly sitting at the kitchen table with my loving mother and father getting advice about the opposite sex. My dad said, "  Son, just go up and grab them by their pussy." My mom chimed in, "Oh yeah, they really love that." Of course that did contrast with what my minister said, " I like to watch my wife with other men." Yes character development is so important, not something to be left to chance. :P
I'm sure having a week devoted to character development it will fix all the future problems. ::) ::) ::)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Officially no, you cannot change my mind with facts and logic, not because I'm an idiot, but rather because I already voted. All you can do is show that you are too damn late with the information I needed before I voted. It's all your fault!"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 12:32:07 pm »
More lies. Where is the evidence, besides in Trumps fevered mind, of voter fraud concerning mail in ballots?

Mail-in or Internet-based voting is very insecure.  This just came out yesterday- it would appear that anyone in Oregon can change the vote of anyone else in Oregon.   All you need is a person's name and DOB.  Oh, and an Oregon laptop was stolen earlier this year with exactly that information on 650,000 Oregonians which is already on the dark web.  Several online have already confirmed it is possible.  Will it make the news?  Will it be investigated and in time?  Will it be patched or corrected?  Will this type of thing cause loss of faith in our systems?  Who knows.  I have seen many stories like this.

I am not so much concerned about the number and severely of the already reported examples of remote exploits, but mostly that the possibility exists.  In-person voting (or drop-off) with ID check is the only reasonable security for the masses with something as important as elections.  And perceived security is, perhaps, just as important as actual security- if enough faith is lost in our systems, regardless of "side", it could lead to chaos.

Security and convenience are just as much at opposition with each other as freedom and safety are.  There is a balance that has to be maintained, and I don't think that is being considered carefully in this artificial and fairly recent rush to make the voting process "easier" and more "convenient."  It is literally the ONLY check that citizens have on government power and direction.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »
Yeah, following this thread is like watching the cold war- it heats up and scares everyone with what appears to be a certain mass- launch, then comes off the boil just enough to hang in there until the next hot cycle.

:-)

As far as the 'go ahead and try to change my mind' idea, well I think that train has sailed as Andrea would say. What we need to do now is try and stay out of the water while squatting in the trench, looking over the sights...... Any chance for reason, compromise or anything even remotely like it are in the rear- view mirror. Going forward, I believe we will see all issues hotly contested by both sides with the side that has one singular more vote winning.

<snip>

I would like to hear more, either here or through a PM. I recommend the latter because as I said earlier, I can feel the radiating heat and hear the air sizzle of the flaming steel above our heads.  ::) ;)

<snip>

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2020, 01:32:04 pm »
Because you TDS people just don't get it, this young lady explains it fairly well....It's short so you can probably follow along.

https://youtu.be/QihpwDe2WeU
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2020, 02:02:40 pm »
Meh, it was kinda' long for me. Especially since it was a tight shot (Easy Boys!) and I could not see.... the rest of her.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That is OK though, I used the time to look up what TDS means. It is tough for us old guys to keep up with you kids' vernacular. :-)

Just got back from a store and we were noticing all the signs on all the lawns on who and / or what to vote for (and a few against). Like I said before, lots of people gonna' be unhappy after the election no matter who wins (and in reality, I fear we might all lose but that is for another thread).

And on a serious note, you 'fired-up' folks really should try and calm down just a tough.... all that stress is bad for you and will make your flesh taste bad in the event you happen to become food for someone after the apocalypse.

Because you TDS people just don't get it, this young lady explains it fairly well....It's short so you can probably follow along.

https://youtu.be/QihpwDe2WeU

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 02:18:46 pm »
Have not been paying attention for a while only to stop by and find this thread! Unbelievable! It seems some of you dufusseseses are actually going to vote for THAT GUY! Incredible! He has more nuts than I do and I have been collecting them all this year! Betcha' he cannot even find the few nuts he did manage to squirrel away.

Then again, the OTHER GUY ain't looking so hot either. He seems a little short on nuts. Is there no happy medium?

There are 328 million of you humans and these two are the best you could come up with?

With a little sympathy and a fair amount of disgust,
Kirby
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 03:53:17 pm »
Then again, the OTHER GUY ain't looking so hot either. He seems a little short on nuts. Is there no happy medium?

Nope, A or B.  There are infinite issues and infinite views, but somehow everything has to be boiled down to a single choice of two with every election.

We need ranked voting, badly.  As far as voting goes, nothing could be better.  You end up with more choice, better choice, more representation, and more parties possible.

https://fairvote.org

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2020, 03:57:52 pm »
Mail-in or Internet-based voting is very insecure.  This just came out yesterday- it would appear that anyone in Oregon can change the vote of anyone else in Oregon.

Unfortunately, it now looks like the same or similar system with the same problems is in use by Alaska and Washington.  Proof was offered that votes can be changed just as easily there, too, today.