Author Topic: When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?  (Read 15469 times)

Offline shreveportSS

Re: When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
My 2011 is very smooth. The very slight "buzz" is consistant through the rpm range after 4k or so.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »
My '11 C14 is so smooth that it feels like an electric motor! I think the difference in opinion might be due to variations in engines, specifically throttle synch. If you got enough buzz to bother the hands, you should get a synch.
FWIW, my other bike is '91 katana 1100 that I have had for 13 years. Despite using my morgan carb stix  for a perfect synch, gel grips, neoprene grip wraps, finger less gel gloves worn under regular gloves, my hands would still hurt after long rides as would my feet. Doubling up on Celebrex helped, but I knew that my wee age mandated that I get a smoother ride.The C14 hasn't failed.
I still ride the old katana every now and then (like yesterday), but just for maybe 30 minutes or an hour (not 12 hours!)

Offline Restless

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »
"Doubling up on Celebrex helped"

:o :yikes: :rotflmao:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline OPUS

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37:01 AM »
Just came off a 2800 mile ride on my 2010 C-14 ABS bike has been very smooth since day 1 started to notice buzz/vib in right hand at approx 4k miles (currently have 15k miles)@ 4-5k rpm.  On this trip I tried to isolate its origin. It seems to be in the metal guard that protects the throttle side heated grip wire at least I think that is what it is for. This only applies to 10's and 11's I don't think the 8' and 9's have this part. If I put my thump on this part as I notice the buzz it goes away and I never get the buzz if I accel with my thumb on it. Tried tightening it but it was secure and it did not help. Going to try a rubber washer or something like it to fix it. Anyone else notice this?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »
My 2010 has a lot of buzz at the bars between 3500-5000 rpm, bad enough to cause the tingles. Unfortunately, this is also a section of the powerband that you're in a lot.

Coming off a Honda ST1100 which was glassy smooth, it's the one thing I don't like about the C14.

Throttlemeister fixed that on my '10, and several have reported the same results on 08-09 models.

Of course a HONDA will be smoother. I bought a rough Kawi because thats the price I pay for going faster. Had i wanted swiss watch quality, i'd have went with HONDA.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
Throttlemeister fixed that on my '10, and several have reported the same results on 08-09 models.

Of course a HONDA will be smoother. I bought a rough Kawi because thats the price I pay for going faster. Had i wanted swiss watch quality, i'd have went with HONDA.

You HAVE a Honda. A slow red one that you ride while wearing Top Siders.

And I have the ThrottleMeister. No difference.

Offline OPUS

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
I have a throttlemeister on my 2010 it did not stop the buzz but my thumb does so I will pursue the rubber or nylon washer on the mounting hardware for the guard on the grip heater wire.

Offline OPUS

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »
Finally fiddled with the heated grip wire protective cover, the buzz on the throttle side at 4-5k RPM was driving me nuts. Took it off one screw, tucked some foam under it. Between it and the throttle housing. Now no more buzzing. Fixed the issue for me on my 2010 ABS C14. Also found its plastic not metal.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
You HAVE a Honda. A slow red one that you ride while wearing Top Siders.

And I have the ThrottleMeister. No difference.

heyyyyyyy  lmao!  slow and honda shouldn't live in the same sentence. for a dual sport its the fastest in its class...and about half the weight of a KLR
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mkorn

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »

heyyyyyyy  lmao!  slow and honda shouldn't live in the same sentence. for a dual sport its the fastest in its class...and about half the weight of a KLR

Doesnt a KLR weigh the same as the C14?    ;D
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »

If you ever got it in the dirt it would weigh more ;)

Only time my '14 vibrates is when I put in fresh batteries :yikes:
Currently running LSL bars with no bar ends.  Smooth as a well oiled sewing machine, all RPMs.

Offline PilgrimsDad

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »
I have a 2011 with about 900miles on it, I do notice some buzz even with throtlemeisters. I assume she should smooth out with some more rideing. I also have a 2008 ZX14, I know for a fact it has an adjustable ballencer on the right side of the engine which I did adjust @ about 6000 miles, it now runs smooth as silk. I would think the C14 would have the same thing since the engines are similer. Does anyone have a Service manual on the C14. The hardest thing to do is take off the plastic, and you must do it when the engine is hot.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »
I came from several Concours 1000s and all I can say is the C14 is like an electric motor compared to the C10. 

Does anyone find it weird that people always want smooth-running bikes to be ever more vibration-free and "shaker" bikes (like Harleys) to vibrate more?  Why can't everyone just appreciate their bikes for the things they do well and quit obsessing over the things their bikes don't do as well?  Cripes, the C14 is nearly a full-on sportbike with luggage -- evaluate it in that context.  Does it accelerate like a sportbike?  Does it corner like a sportbike?  Does it brake like a sportbike? And can it cruise comfortably down the highway with all your gear in tow?  Then it is what it was intended to be:  A sport-touring motorcycle !!!!!
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 06:21:53 AM »
+1!  :thumbs: :goodpost: :chugbeer:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
I came from several Concours 1000s and all I can say is the C14 is like an electric motor compared to the C10. 

Does anyone find it weird that people always want smooth-running bikes to be ever more vibration-free and "shaker" bikes (like Harleys) to vibrate more?  Why can't everyone just appreciate their bikes for the things they do well and quit obsessing over the things their bikes don't do as well?  Cripes, the C14 is nearly a full-on sportbike with luggage -- evaluate it in that context.  Does it accelerate like a sportbike?  Does it corner like a sportbike?  Does it brake like a sportbike? And can it cruise comfortably down the highway with all your gear in tow?  Then it is what it was intended to be:  A sport-touring motorcycle !!!!!

As the original poster of this thread, and someone who never meant to imply that this bike suffered from excessive vibration, I agree that this is a great post.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »

Second fastest and kinda heavy.   KTM 530 EXC -- WINNER.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »

I've been purposely staying out of this thread, because I've been battling the bad vibs from my C14 from the first day I bought it, and don't really have anything positive to contribute.  But now, you've sucked me in, thanks. 

Some C14's vibrate more than others.  My C14 is far worse than my C10 ever was, even when the C10 was at it's worst.

When I first got my C14, I could not ride it above 4K RPM for more than 2 minutes without my hands going completely numb, to the point that I literally could not feel the brake or clutch levers when I grabbed for them.  Shortly after that, I could not feel the throttle in my hand, which results in not riding.

Limiting the C14 to only riding it under 4K RPM is not a good answer either.  I don't expect the bike to be completely smooth, but there is a point where the vibrations are just too much.  Mine was there, but I've made some progress with it, to a point that I could ride at higher RPMs for longer periods, without my hands going totally numb.  Recently I made a change that made things worse (a minor setback), but I do believe it can be fixed.

I do have a problem with those who don't experience a problem saying 'there is no problem'.  I'm not trying to sling mud here, but for some, there really is a problem with the bike.  And as one would expect, due to the potential can of worms it would open, the manufacturer will not even begin to acknowledge there might be, or offer any help in resolving it (believe me, I've tried, and I'm not the only one).

Personally, after spending a lot of time looking into this issue, I'm less inclined to think it's a mechanical balancing issue, and more of a fuel mixture + fuel timing and ignition timing issue.  I still have a long ways to go before I'll put this problem behind me, but so far, the things that have made a significant impact were things that affected the intake and exhaust flows.  It was an unexpected side effect of the changes, but very real.

And for the record, mine really starts vibrating / buzzing  at around 3500 RPM, with the peak at about 5K, and no real decrease from then on.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
I've been purposely staying out of this thread, because I've been battling the bad vibs from my C14 from the first day I bought it, and don't really have anything positive to contribute.  But now, you've sucked me in, thanks. 

You're quite welcome...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Some C14's vibrate more than others.  My C14 is far worse than my C10 ever was, even when the C10 was at it's worst."

+1  I think different bikes *can* be different.  My C14 is very smooth compared to how my ZRX was.  World of difference.  I don't think I have any problems at all with buzzing or vibration on the Concours.  But some people might.

Interesting the other post about "syncing".... I think that was a carburetor-only type thing...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline OPUS

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:59 AM »
Mine has always been silky smooth it just developed the buzz in the trottle due to the heated grip wire cover vibrating at 4-5k. But I must say I am glad I got rid of the vib it was getting on my nerves.