Author Topic: Dash LED darkening  (Read 5682 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
Dash LED darkening
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:16 AM »
OK, this has happened to me twice now on this trip.  Both times it has been in the sun WHILE I am riding. My Dash display has gone dark while I am riding.  Today while crossing the desert heading east into Las Vegas my entire dash started to darken up.  I have a photo of it browning out.  In all fairness, it was HOT!  We were crossing the desert from California to Las Vegas (NOT Death Valley proper, but close)

I noticed that after parking it, it is better.   Anyone else have this issue?
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Re: Dash LED darkening
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
Sounds like either a design defect (non robust thermal margin) or some variation in the LCD heat flow due to assembly error or piece part variation.

Could be a recall or warrantee item.

Mazda Similar Issue.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-mazda-3-discussion/4174-info-screen-dimming-hot-weather-2.html

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Shoe

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
stlheadake,

Actually its an LCD not an LED. I think this issue has been discussed before and it's heat related.  :)
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:40 AM »
Heat will cause it to do that, noticed  it on mine a few months after I got it and it was parked in the sun while I was eating lunch. I made a shade for the dash out of an old trash can, some have used a GPS shade to put over the dash. I attached a piece of Velcro to the top of my shade and put my gloves on it so they cover the dash when I'm parked.
I used 2 way tape to hold it in place, the rag WAS used to hold it in place so the tape would stick

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »
On my previous bikes, it was all analog and I would go out and spend the $3 for a cheap digital LCD clock that I would stick onto the dash. You know, those 1" diameter cheap plastic clocks. Well, every time that thing is exposed to the sun when it's above about 70 outside, it would do the same thing and I had it go totally black so you couldn't read it at all. Allow it to get out of the sun and heat and it would be fine.

Oh, and So Cal Joe, is that a metal trash can you used a section of?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »
Thanks, so far it has returned to normal.  I wasn't too concerned as long as it was a temporary thing. 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:57:04 AM »
Yep, been there done that. It's normal for a LCD readout. As soon as it cools off a bit it returns to normal.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2540.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn