Author Topic: R&G "Adventure Bars" and RIVCO Highway Pegs  (Read 14571 times)

Offline rosser

• El Cuervo Gordo - 2011 Concours
    • Rosser's Home Page
R&G "Adventure Bars" and RIVCO Highway Pegs
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
Well, here it is - my 2011 Concourse with highway pegs installed! The key ingredient to meeting the challenge of a mounting platform for the highway pegs is the R&G Racing Adventure Bars (fairing/engine guards), sourced from R&G's US distributor, Twisted Throttle. Installation time 1-2 hours depending on level of mechanical skills. These bars are 22.5mm - 7/8" and that presented the second challenge of how to mount the highway pegs. The Kuryakyn and RIVCO peg mounting units I was interested in are primarily designed to be mounted on bars that are 1"+ in diameter. I wanted to use the RIVCO mounts because they move the pegs 6" forward and the Adventure Bars are set too close to the rider to get any real leg extension if the pegs are mounted directly on the bars. The fortuitous solution, which appeared after a lengthy series of internet searches, is a 22.5mm - 25mm (1") adapter sleeve from Ilium Works, an aftermarket accessories operation that caters primarily to the BMW "Adventure" set.

I used the RIVCO pegs because I already had a set in both chrome and black. I decided to use the chrome because the mounting arms are chrome. RIVCO also makes a much larger/flatter footpeg similar to the big Kuryakyn pegs. All RIVCO pegs and mounts are 3/8" bolt size in contrast to Kuryakyn which uses 1/2". A very nice feature of the RIVCO pegs is an allen-head "jack" screw that allows you to easily adjust the angle of the pegs.

The cost for the components I have listed below and as shown in the photos is about $550 if you include shipping costs. Since I installed them myself, there was no labor involved. My Kawasaki dealer (Twigg Cycles, Hagerstown, MD) gave me an estimate of around $150 to install the Adventure Bars (1-2 hrs). Once I had the adapter sleeves in hand, the installation of the peg mount arms and pegs took about 1.5 hours with adjustments. It is tight getting an Allen wrench in between the fairing and the mount in order to tighten the clamping screws. These have to be tightened very securely to keep the mounting arms from rotating when you have your feet on them. Once tightened adequately, however, they are very secure.

Parts List for Highway Peg System

Twisted Throttle  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/
R&G Adventure Bars Kawasaki GTR1400 Concours '08- 
Twisted Throttle Item No: RG.AB0002BK $330.00
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6763/602/
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Kawasaki/GTR1400_Concours/2010/AB0002BK.aspx

RIVCO  http://www.rivcoproducts.com/
1" Highway Peg Mounts for Honda GL1800  SKU: GL18004 $139.95
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=29&cat=221&page=1

Anit-Vibration Pegs - Chrome (pair)  SKU: PEGS $44.95
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=55&cat=221&page=1

Ilium Works  http://www.iliumworks.com/
22.5MM-25MM SLEEVE, HIGHWAY PEG  19-XXX $10.00
http://www.iliumworks.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=230519&InfoID=5919&ShowLarge=True

Since you can only upload 4 photos, I have posted more photos showing more views and details on my website:

http://rosser.rsf3.com/concours1400highwaypegs.htm

Offline vivo

Re: R&G "Adventure Bars" and RIVCO Highway Pegs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
A bit cruiser-like for my tastes but certainly different....

vivo

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
A bit cruiser-like for my tastes but certainly different....

Yeah.  I would love to have something for a change of position, but that is way too far forward, too far out, and too far up for me!  It does match the tupperware helmet, though (that is what my friend calls those Harley non-protective, pseudo-helmets)

Gotta hand it to Concours owners... we are a really creative bunch!!  Thanks for sharing, Rosser  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rosser

• El Cuervo Gordo - 2011 Concours
    • Rosser's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »
Not to put too fine of a turn on it, but that is an HJC, DOT-approved, half-helmet, not one of those Hog-rider-esque scull caps. In other words, your basic motorcycle cop helmet. >;o)

However, when I go up to Pennsylvania with my girlfriend we stop just over the line and...

...exchange our 1/2 helmets for doo-rags! Yup, as my grandma always said, "There aint' no accountin' for taste!"

As my late Uncle Elmer told me when I got my Triumph Bonnevile back in '67, "Bobby, you won't be alive two weeks from now."

Offline vivo

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
Is it comfortable? I would imagine downshifting might knock you off the sucker...  I suppose feet that far forward would take pressure off of butt parts that the standard position keeps in contact with the seat... I sometimes think my pegs are too low for my liking ... so I begin to ride on the balls of my feet and it takes pressure off my butt... I should look into adjustable pegs, up and down so I can see what works best for me...

vivo

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:07 AM »
those pegs don't look right, can they be hidden when not in use?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:54:45 AM »
Whatever.
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:53 AM »
they are definitely not my taste, that's for sure, but I can imagine after 500 miles on one go I could change my mind...  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
The idea behind it is good....but no!  Not on this bike.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
I did 807 miles yesterday on a key west and return run. Never once was i wishing for something like that on my bike.

Then again, I find the stock seat comfortable and manageable, maybe I'm weird.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
I did 807 miles yesterday on a key west and return run. Never once was i wishing for something like that on my bike.

That is a brutal one day ride!.  I liked the stock seat also but I changed for the Sgt. low.  The highway pegs are not my taste on the this bike but I would probably use them on a ride like this.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
In looking at the picture, it appears 'awkward'.  It may feel fine to the OP but this kind of bike doesn't lend itself too well to highway pegs.  If you have any lean at all toward the bars when you extend your legs you feel like the letter 'U'.  At least that's what I felt like on a C10 (stock bars) when I installed mine.  Wound up not using them much.  But what the hey, if it works for the OP then alrighty then.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
In looking at the picture, it appears 'awkward'.  It may feel fine to the OP but this kind of bike doesn't lend itself too well to highway pegs.  If you have any lean at all toward the bars when you extend your legs you feel like the letter 'U'.  At least that's what I felt like on a C10 (stock bars) when I installed mine.  Wound up not using them much.  But what the hey, if it works for the OP then alrighty then.

+1

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
Appears to be a stock seat, I bet that helps with the sliding forward...  ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
Appears to be a stock seat, I bet that helps with the sliding forward...  ;)

my '10 has the stock seat and I did over 7000 miles in the last 2 weeks, and then 807 additional miles yesterday for Key Lime Pie at Key West, FL.  Works great for me

Offline vivo

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
Maybe I should just pad my ass. Then every seat will feel like a DayLong...ahhhhh.... Got to try some gel pants with sheep skin tacked on the butt... then those high pegs and my chaps will do just fine....

vivo

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
That's an interesting mental image I don't want to remember...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »

No, you are just robotic :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 05:33:48 AM »
Maybe I should just pad my ass. Then every seat will feel like a DayLong...ahhhhh.... Got to try some gel pants with sheep skin tacked on the butt... then those high pegs and my chaps will do just fine....

vivo

I think that more than a few guys have been doing just that.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn