Author Topic: Exhuast baffle removal  (Read 20751 times)

Offline Eric119

Exhuast baffle removal
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »
Anyone else drill out their baffles yet? Well I did. Nice sound.   8) It's louder but too loud. I drilled out the solid baffle. Upon inspection I could see a second screen baffle or perforated baffle. Think I'll drill that one out next. Performance wise there is no noticeable change, not that I expected any without an air-box mod completed.

Anyone else out there tried it yet. Its a poor man's way of changing the sound. all that's needed is an 1 1/4" hole saw and a extension rod. Home depot sells a rigid hole saw. Both items were about $30.  ;)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Exhuast baffle removal
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
I cut two of the chambers off when I chopped 9 inches off my bazooka.  I has a nice burble at idle and it sounds less like a vacuum when I get on it.  Good luck drilling the rest out.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
I'd like to offer some real-life experience concerning this post and another than said (I'm paraphrasing), "more exhaust flow equals more power".
I build scale models of old engines, steam & Internal combustion. The last one I built was a double-acting, single cylinder, 6-cycle gas engine that, in addition to the normal 4-cycles, performed the exhaust stroke, held the Ex. valve open for an additional intake & exhaust stroke to purge the cylinder, then did the usual intake-combustion stroke. The cylinder is approx. 1.250 diameter and the plans specified a restriction in the exhaust pipe of .048 diameter! That's smaller than a pencil-lead!  Well my instinct told me "more is better", I knew that had to be wrong so I made it a 3/8" pipe. Long story short I could not get it to run. As a last resort after days of tinkering, I put in a restriction smaller than specified in the exhaust pipe and it ran perfectly. Even with the full exhaust-intake-exhaust through that tiny hole, and one additional revolution of the flywheel without a power stroke, it would not run with a free flow of gases!
Sometimes intuition isn't correct and just maybe the engineers building today's sophisticated engines know what they're doing. It's easy to equate more noise with more power, just ask the Hardley owners.  :o
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »

It's easy to equate more noise with more power, just ask the Hardley owners.  :o

:rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
Anyone else drill out their baffles yet? Well I did. Nice sound.   8) It's louder but too loud. I drilled out the solid baffle. Upon inspection I could see a second screen baffle or perforated baffle. Think I'll drill that one out next.

I still fail to understand why someone would WANT to make a vehicle louder.  It is just more noise, and more annoyance.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
I'd like to offer some real-life experience concerning this post and another than said (I'm paraphrasing), "more exhaust flow equals more power".[...] I put in a restriction smaller than specified in the exhaust pipe and it ran perfectly. Even with the full exhaust-intake-exhaust through that tiny hole, and one additional revolution of the flywheel without a power stroke, it would not run with a free flow of gases!
Sometimes intuition isn't correct and just maybe the engineers building today's sophisticated engines know what they're doing.

I already suggested, in the other thread, that perhaps the Kawasaki engineers knew what they were doing and matched the muffler with the rest of the exhaust system... 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
I still fail to understand why someone would WANT to make a vehicle louder.  It is just more noise, and more annoyance.

Oh come on now, you're just being rational.  Stop That!   :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »

+1... boring...

Offline Zteve

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
I live in an area with a lot of deer and have noticed my louder Muzzy pipe has them running back in the woods. With the stock pipe they just stand on the side of the road and I'm not sure what they're gonna do.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
I live in an area with a lot of deer and have noticed my louder Muzzy pipe has them running back in the woods. With the stock pipe they just stand on the side of the road and I'm not sure what they're gonna do.

Kewl Avatar!!!!!!!!!  Love it!!!  OK, I hate mine now.  Let's try this new one and see (a zoom with a bit of Gimp "painting" effect).  It is interesting, although a tad bit scary looking.

As far as the deer go- they are so unpredictable, it is hard to say what they will do, regardless.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »

Yeah, I have been accused of being related to Mr. Spock before :/

Offline Zteve

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »
Kewl Avatar!!!!!!!!!  Love it!!!

As far as the deer go- they are so unpredictable, it is hard to say what they will do, regardless.
Thanks!

Yes, they are unpredictable, but my experience over the years tells me to stick with the louder pipe. I've had many close calls with deer and even hit one when in stock stealth mode. With a louder pipe I see them run the other way. If I can make them just a little more predictable it might put the odds in my favor.

Aside from running better, it gives me another excuse to have a loud pipe and oh yeah almost forgot, they sound cool too. 8)

Offline landofahhs

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I jus' sits
    • Taylor Town
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »
Years ago in the dark ages when I was a kid...I owned a loud Harley and several Mustangs including a '65 and a '69.  One of my learning experiences was when I took the stock mufflers and cross-over exhaust pipes off my '69 Mustang and replaced them with single pipes with glass packs attached to new headers.  Result: I wasted a lot of time and money but had a vehicle that sounded loud and cool but with poorer performance in the end...Not to mention no longer being able to carry on a conversation inside the car or hear the radio when on the hiway.  I Found out the hard way some engines need some back pressure to work better AND there is a reason mufflers are called 'mufflers'.

The moral of the story (as stated well by Phil at the beginning of this thread) more air flow does not relate to better performance nor does a substantial increase in db's mean you have a better performing machine....UNLESS you are perhaps driving or riding a model-t or a harley and/or have an insecurity complex or poor social life with a demand for attention.  Personally I can't say I have any desire to have any vehicle I drive or ride so loud it requires ear protection nor any vehicle that is so low in HP that you have to remove the baffles from the exhaust to enhance your low social personal esteem...so why mess with a good thing?

I also live in an area filled with deer...and honestly there is NO scientific basis to believe deer are frightened by noise or that they avoid it (I see people with those 'deer whistles' with just as many totaled cars as those without).  If a person counts road kill you'll find just as many deer are killed on noisey hiways (with loud semi's) as are killed on dirt roads in my area of Kansas.  Anyone that thinks a bike making more noise is some sort of means of making yourself less inclined to a collision with a deer or anything else must be one of those Harley dudes that think cars will hear them and therefore keep them safe from collisions.   ::)

Offline Zteve

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
Years ago in the dark ages when I was a kid...I owned a loud Harley and several Mustangs including a '65 and a '69.  One of my learning experiences was when I took the stock mufflers and cross-over exhaust pipes off my '69 Mustang and replaced them with single pipes with glass packs attached to new headers.  Result: I wasted a lot of time and money but had a vehicle that sounded loud and cool but with poorer performance in the end...Not to mention no longer being able to carry on a conversation inside the car or hear the radio when on the hiway.  I Found out the hard way some engines need some back pressure to work better AND there is a reason mufflers are called 'mufflers'.

The moral of the story (as stated well by Phil at the beginning of this thread) more air flow does not relate to better performance nor does a substantial increase in db's mean you have a better performing machine....UNLESS you are perhaps driving or riding a model-t or a harley and/or have an insecurity complex or poor social life with a demand for attention.  Personally I can't say I have any desire to have any vehicle I drive or ride so loud it requires ear protection nor any vehicle that is so low in HP that you have to remove the baffles from the exhaust to enhance your low social personal esteem...so why mess with a good thing?

I also live in an area filled with deer...and honestly there is NO scientific basis to believe deer are frightened by noise or that they avoid it (I see people with those 'deer whistles' with just as many totaled cars as those without).  If a person counts road kill you'll find just as many deer are killed on noisey hiways (with loud semi's) as are killed on dirt roads in my area of Kansas.  Anyone that thinks a bike making more noise is some sort of means of making yourself less inclined to a collision with a deer or anything else must be one of those Harley dudes that think cars will hear them and therefore keep them safe from collisions.   ::)
Yeah, I guess all those tuned aftermarket exhaust systems really don't produce any more power and those big ears ;D aren't hearing much either.  :deadhorse:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
Yeah, I guess all those tuned aftermarket exhaust systems really don't produce any more power and those big ears ;D aren't hearing much either.  :deadhorse:

Well, there is a big difference between a complete, tuned exhaust system (usually combined with a better filter and FI reprogramming), and just swapping a muffler with a slip-on or drilling out baffles.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
Well, there is a big difference between a complete, tuned exhaust system (usually combined with a better filter and FI reprogramming), and just swapping a muffler with a slip-on or drilling out baffles.

:goodpost:

+1 to that Max!

Offline curly

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
This thread is worthless without pictures! Show us wot u dun :P
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Zteve

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 07:16:22 PM »
This thread is worthless without pictures! Show us wot u dun :P
Full 4-2-1 Muzzy.
Notice, there are no deer around. ;)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
The deer excuse doesn't work for me either.

A. You are coming toward them, and the sound is projected out the back of the bike, away from them, so all it's going to do is make them stop munching grass and look up sooner.

B. If you are sane, you'll be on the brakes when you see the deer, not the throttle, meaning the sound will be much lower anyway.

C. I have really loud exhaust right now (I'm working on it), and 4 of the 8 deer I saw last weekend ran in front of me (to be fare, 2 were not near me though, so it's more like 4 of 6).  The last one didn't really run across the road, more like pranced.  As I was passing it, I beeped the horn to get it to hurry up a little.

My buddy has those deer whistles on his bike.  One of these days I'll take him with me, and let him lead.  Then I'll see if they run from him.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Full 4-2-1 Muzzy.
Notice, there are no deer around. ;)

Very nice Z!  :thumbs: 8)