Author Topic: I've been Flashed by Guhl Motors, and I like it  (Read 7835 times)

Offline stewart

I've been Flashed by Guhl Motors, and I like it
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Actually my 2010 C14 ABS ECU was flashed.

Same Post with Cog-Online Forum http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,28401.0.html

Completely stock - except for Risers, GPS, Techmount, Starcom1, E55, Phils Rack, Fuzebox, PR3's and me.

I only had time for a quick ride around the neighborhood running some errands and will post more feedback once I get out on the open road, and have a chance to ride 2 up.

But...I like it, like it alot as Dr Seuss would say.

I have the map with the Aggressive Secondary Fly opening and fuel mapping via the Dyno and adjusted with the input from Fred Harmon and his PCV /AutoTune flashed C14.

Before you ask, I don't have a before/after Dyno run.

Switching between the new Map and the Std ECO map on the fly gives you a pretty good idea of the difference, its very noticeable. the HWY roll on's in 4th/5th gear from 4k/5k RPM pulls stronger and smoother than the original map (compared to ECO Mode). You really feel the pull in the seat of the pants. How much better this is beyond a straight line run, I don't know, but so far I'm happy.

Idling through town is where I actually noticed a big difference. In 2nd/3rd gear around 2k-3.5k RPM, the power comes on instantly and just pulls from the get go in a very smooth linear manner. Switch back to ECO mode, and there is that delay you've come to expect...power isn't on tap instantly, it takes a moment to spool up and when the revs get there, you have go. Yes I know its not a long time, but compared to the new map is very noticeable and its on from the get go. I can see this being the biggest improvement for slow corners out on the open road and for idling through traffic 1-up or 2-up where having the torque down low really helps.

As for 1st gear...didn't get much room to play with cars around. But it felt good. I'm very curious given space if the front wheel will come up without popping the clutch. I can only dream. Note: I've never had the front wheel up as I think popping the clutch on this heavy bike is way too much risk for me.

Lastly...I think I heard an improved growl from the exhaust. It may just be in my head, but switching between ECO mode and back again, I noticed it.

Why did I choose the Flash? Well I heard so many good things about the Fly-ectomy, about adding a PCV about adding a Autotune (with O2 sensor)...but the impact to the Traction Control on my 2010 and the effort was not very appealing compared to pulling the ECU sending it off and getting it flashed. The business case for the Flash just made sense.

Would I recommend it? Yes for someone who hasn't pulled the fly's etc, definitely a worthy bang for buck exercise.

Why did I choose Guhl? Primarily because its my understanding they performed all the work locally from Reverse Engineer, Mapping to Flashing, versus sourcing from a 3rd party. Just a personal preference of mine, and has nothing to do with the quality or customer service of any other offering.

Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: I've been Flashed by Guhl Motors, and I like it
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »
Thats great to hear your happy with it on the '10, I've been thinking about it.  AWESOME that ECO mode remains unchanged.

Can you tell me if ma Kawi still warranties it after a flash?

I've been thinking about this as well because i'm particular about max distance between fuel stops, and this solution may be the only mod i would consider that doesn't threaten MPG because of the sweet map selection option on the '10s.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
Can you tell me if ma Kawi still warranties it after a flash?

I can't answer that. I don't see it any different than fitting a TRE, PVC, Autotune or any other mod like pulling the fly's, they all change the bike from Original spec. I'm taking some risk, but I felt it was far less physically intrusive than the other mods.

If my engine blows up...I'll take it on the chin, but given the amount of other people flashing their bikes, cars, snowmobiles etc...I think its low risk.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
Nice write up.
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Can you let us know what if any mileage difference there is?

Offline stewart

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
Can you let us know what if any mileage difference there is?

On the list, as I'm curious also. Its my understanding with the new map that fuel 'in general' was taken away. So assuming I ride smooth, I think it should be better than ECO mode. But only time will tell.

But while riding today I held the throttle steady on a flat road and switched modes. Going from ECO to New Map (need a name for it) I saw a drop of 1-2 MPT on the dash. I'm not too concerned about that and will take longer more qualitative readings.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
As long as ECO mode doesn't change why would we care, thats the mode we use when MPG is a concern.  In the flashed mode, I'd hope that thing dumps more fuel/air than ever :)

Offline stewart

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
As long as ECO mode doesn't change why would we care, thats the mode we use when MPG is a concern.  In the flashed mode, I'd hope that thing dumps more fuel/air than ever :)

I agree, but I think its worth looking at.

Regardless of mode, when I ride hard I expect the bike to drink fuel like an Australian drinking beer on a 42 degree (Celsius) day. When I want max MPG I'll ride accordingly, and with that I'm curious how the map will perform on the HWY cruising.

Besides, I don't argue, fuss of KIPASS, Tires, Oil, Air Pressures like you guys...so I need something to talk about.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »

Regardless of mode, when I ride hard I expect the bike to drink fuel like an Australian drinking beer on a 42 degree (Celsius) day. When I want max MPG I'll ride accordingly, and with that I'm curious how the map will perform on the HWY cruising.

Besides, I don't argue, fuss of KIPASS, Tires, Oil, Air Pressures like you guys...so I need something to talk about.

:rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »

Not "you guys".....   some of us never "fuss of KiPass". 

We realize Kipass is all POW-AH and heavenly things

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
Stewart- Congrats on the reflash.  I have almost 3000 miles since my reflash (I was the Donor Bike) and all I can say is there are absolutely no regrets on my decision to go with it. 

To all others asking about fuel mileage....Depending on how hard I twist the right wrist I get between 40 and 42 without going to ECO mode.  I've kept pretty good records and actually calculated mileage as opposed to using the digital readout.  I've found some pretty serious differences between what the display says the Avg Mileage is versus what it actually is.  Other than occasionally kicking it to ECO to experience the difference I have not put any serious miles on in that mode. 

I am leaving on Sunday for a trip up to Nova Scotia and will put close to 3000 on the bike in the two weeks we are gone.  I plan to alternate tanks between ECO and Standard modes and keep records of usage.  By the end of the trip I should have some pretty good numbers to compare the modes.  All this will be with the bike fully loaded and riding two up. 

2010 C14 ABS

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »
ummmmmm is this available for the 08?  I'd reeeeely like to have something like that....!  I'm a little put off at the whole pulling the flies and adding the commander.  It just seems like the reflash is a better option (for me) all around.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stewart

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
I am leaving on Sunday for a trip up to Nova Scotia and will put close to 3000 on the bike in the two weeks we are gone.  I plan to alternate tanks between ECO and Standard modes and keep records of usage.  By the end of the trip I should have some pretty good numbers to compare the modes.  All this will be with the bike fully loaded and riding two up.

Great now I can just enjoy the riding and not have to do any homework.

Where are you starting from and what route are you taking? I'm wondering if you'll ride past my place, corner 495 and 90 in Mass.

ummmmmm is this available for the 08?  I'd reeeeely like to have something like that....!  I'm a little put off at the whole pulling the flies and adding the commander.  It just seems like the reflash is a better option (for me) all around.

Yes 08/09 are supported, that was the 1st to come, we had to wait on the 10 and I'm 80% sure the 11 works as well.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
Where are you starting from and what route are you taking? I'm wondering if you'll ride past my place, corner 495 and 90 in Mass.

PM Sent.  ]
2010 C14 ABS

Offline stewart

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
Quick update.

Rode for about 2 hours tonight while out for dinner 2-Up with the SO. Mixture of Hwy, backroads and city blocks.....I'm just loving this flash.

Extra low end torque for slow riding, and when its time to pass....giddy up!!! The SO even noticed the difference.

Now I just need some time in the twisties.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stewart

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
Quick update.

I attended another Track Day at the New Hampshire Speed Way on Monday and this was the first time I could really open up the bike and see what improvements the ECU flash has made.

Firstly, let me start by stating this was my 2nd track day ever, I'm by no means an expert rider or racer for that matter and lastly, hauling the big arse connie around this tight technical track is a challenge. In fact I heard plenty of comments that people were surprised it could go that quick.

The key comparison I can make is I was able to ride most of the track in 3rd gear and felt I had plenty of power (more than I could use) and was well in the mid rev range to drive out of most corners. Power came on strong and smooth from low down which gave me plenty of confidence. I'm not sure how this compares with other bikes, I know a few riders (some slower) suggested they were in 4th a lot of the time, while another on a 250 was going through all his gears when I was behind him, while I was able to power on behind him from 2nd to 3rd up a hill and into the next corner.

The weight of the bike and my own skill were really the only limitations I hit, oh and the pegs. 1st time at the track I scrapped pegs in only one corner, now I scrapped pegs and boots in most of the corners. In talking to the Instructors a lot of this comes back to my body position which I improved over the day, but at some point the hard parts are just too low. Which is ok by me, since I like to tour and the 2 hr ride home was a breeze.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380