Author Topic: loose mainstay  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
loose mainstay
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »
How many bolts hold the mainstay on, is it only 3? left right and center, the center has become loose with play but the nut is tight, all 3 bolts are tight yet i can grab the front under the headlight and move the entire thing up and down, i can see it moving every time i hit a bump and i'm afraid its gonna snap the center bolt, this all started a month ago when the right bolt snapped, i replaced that bolt and check the other 2 made sure they was tight so why is there still play, am i missing a bolt i don't know about?...

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Leo

Re: loose mainstay
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Sounds like something is broken.  The headstock tab has broken off the frame on a few bikes.  One of our members in Illinios machined up some replacements to be welded on that are a lot stonger.  Check to see if the tab is still attached.   Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »
Steve Pronto makes the fairing stay replacements and they are very good quality, but not cheap.
They used to be $75
prontorides at yahoo dot com
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556319820QrfnGK

This is not my photos, but I saved them when I needed to do mine.
The process worked perfectly.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »
hey thanks guys, after taking a closer look i seen a crack at the bottom head tab' Exactly like the first photo in your link, this looks like an easy fix but an all day process removing everything, problem is i'm no welder nor do i have a welder. do you think a welding shop could make that little tab and weld it for me? $75 seems like alot of $$$ for such a small tab piece but if my faring could fall off at 70mph i guess its not that bad after all. last month i was on a freeway that had bumps every 100 feet, after hitting about 80 of these i had a feeling something like this could happen and it did, the right side bolt either came lose or snapped and fail out, i guess that put to much pressure on the tab and cracked it before i got home.
                                                               :-\

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:13 AM »
I know what you mean about the tab being expensive. Somebody could surely make it, however. This tab is off center, and not a normal shape. $75 is a bit much, but I think once you receive it, you'll see why. Just make sure no matter what you do, have the welder take his time as you don't want to cook the grease in your steering head bearings.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
gotcha, this might be a good time to replace the head bearings while i'm there after the weld.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
After I did all of the disassembly and dressing with a Dremel tool, I had a welder come to my house for $70 (Northern VA price).  He put a few good "tacks" in and then filled the whole under side up and added some rod stock to the bottom for more strength.  I painted it black when he was done.  So far so good - almost two seasons.  The original mount is a horribly weak design - it probably looked good on paper.  Every break i've seen has been pretty much idetical.  I little chunk pulls from hte bolt collar and then the tube proceeds to pull out from the mount.  You can tighten the bolt all day and it won't matter.

I'm currently testing a fix that does not involve welding (yes welding would be best).  This could be something that could be done on the road and trusted, contrary to rope and/or cable ties.  My dad's bike that i'm refurbishing has this same problem.  The test i'm trying involves a good u-bolt, an exhaust clamp cross piece, a few fender washers and nuts, and a robust "S" hook.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Looks promissing for the moment.  $7 so far.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:04:49 PM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
That's a good idea, I might try something like that first so yea keep us posted.

enim57

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »
I completely removed the original lug and welded a length of steel from top to bottom, this enabled me to weld a support onto the mainstay and bolting to the bottom of the length of steel. I do a lot of my riding without the bottom half of the fairing and this adds considerable strength to it all.

Regards, Russell

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:49 AM »
OK, so here’s what I did – your results may vary.

I used a 2” x 5/16” thread u-bolt (overall it is about 3-1/2” from the bottom of the “U” to the end of the threads), an exhaust clamp (1-7/8”) cross piece, wheel nuts (nut with a washer attached), a few 5/16” Nylock nuts, and a robust "S" hook (I’ll have to look up the size).  Plus a scrap piece of steel bar stock (1/2” wide x 3/16” thick 3” long).

I bolted it on in this method.  Everything was painted black to prevent rust before assembly.  The u-bolt goes around the back side of the steering column, under the clutch line connection so the threaded ends a facing forward.  The exhaust cross piece is pushed onto the u-bolt.  A wheel nut followed by a Nylock nut is put on both sides and finger tightened to the cross piece for the moment.  This creates two studs facing forward to add the rest of the assembly.  Two holes are drilled (about 2” apart) into the bar stock to replace the wimpy cross piece that comes with the u-bolt. Push this piece on followed by a wheel nut on each side – but just start the threads on the nut – don’t screw them down yet.  The “S” hook can now be added and tighten the nuts you just put on to keep it in place.  It should be put on so it goes down around the cross piece and upwards to grab the weld between the two tubes on the fairing frame just ahead of where the stay bolt goes thru.  You may need to adjust (bend) the “S” hook to grab the cross piece nicely (I had to use a vice and a hammer - if you can do it with channel locks, your "S" hook maybe too weak).  Now you can tighten everything up and add a Nylock nut to each threaded end sticking forward.  I felt no “give” so it should not be affecting the steering column.  My thinking was it would be best to let the wheel nut have the holding power and a Nylock there to keep it from loosening.  I then added a 6” piece of vacuum line to connect the two threaded end sticking out so nothing would catch on them (keep an eye on that brake line).

For an “on the road” repair, you could just use a 2” u-bolt, 1-7/8” exhaust clamp cross piece, large “S” hook and electric tape to keep the brake line away from it.  I would think any hardware store would probably have what you need.  Worst case, you need a hardware store and an automotive store (or just hide it on the bike somewhere now).

I think it cost about $7 total (I had some parts laying around already).  Hopefully this will help someone in the dark of night.

Oh yeah, dad's bike had a little piece of steel he added when he epoxied the stay mount 15 years ago - I added it back because he made it - it's not required.

Oops - the pictures aren't of the final design - I added that exhaust clamp cross piece and got rid of the fender washers.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
The weld where your S Hook is does not look like much to me and i think it might break, I need to look at mine a little closer because i think the weld there is cracked as well.  :o

if it is cracked maybe it will be easyer to just have someone add a little more weld right there, your fix looks like the best way to go for the time being, i'll check out the weld again and let ya know.

RFH87_Connie Thanks for the help and photo's cause i really did not know how to approach this.
Thanks to all and if anyone has more photo's and idea keep'em coming.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »
I'm still comtemplating turning the u-bolt around 180 degrees and threading it thru the two holes in the fairing frame where the bolt goes thru.  That may require straightening and rebending the u-bolt though.  It may not actually crunch everything donwn tight if done this way - that's my concern.  This connection should have no wiggle or it will just get bigger.