Author Topic: Best helmet intercom set-up?  (Read 39206 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Best helmet intercom set-up?
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
This is always a good topic for debate, info, and knowledge...

I have the Scala G4 powerset for me and my wife's helmets, we love it, works great! Blue tooth phone, FM radio, mp3, GPS, and helmet to helmet bike to bike communication...  :thumbs: :thumbs:

What are you guys running??

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
Re: Best helmet intercom set-up?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:06:35 PM »
in for replies!  thanks ZG! 8)

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
I am in the market for a Bluetooth intercom set-up and it looks like its down to the Scala G4 and the Sena SMH-10. One big plus for the Sena is that I prefer earbuds and the Sena offers that. I can buy the SMH-10 dual system, everything for 2 riders for $269.
I would also like to hear some input from others on this.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
I heavily researched this last year, and it was down to the G4, Sena, and BlueAnt F4...

Here's the site I used... though THIS direct comparison didn't exist when I was looking http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/2010-motorcycle-intercom-comparison.htm.

I originally liked the Sena's ability for earbuds, but then decided that one of my motivations for this was to get rid of wires... not just limit them to my helmet. I also wasn't completely sold on the large knob and how low the boom installed below the helmet. I also needed a flat (wired) mike (not the boom) which eliminated the Sena beck then. Sena now has a flat (wired) mike available. I recommend putting your hand inside your chin bar to see how much room you have between your mouth and helmet, this is how I decided I needed a flat mike.

The F4 takes a hit for more than 2 riders, but that was not a concern for me. I'm either riding alone, or with one other.

Both the Sena and F4 were rated very well for sound quality.

So, I ended up with the F4, and have had zero* complaints since then. I paired it with my iPhone flawlessly... took 3 tries with my old RAZR. Also paired it to a friends Zumo, first try. Sound quality is excellent. I've found I need to wear ear plugs, as the speakers seem to be calibrated assuming you're wearing plugs. Automatic sound leveling works great, tho sometimes it seems to go up and down randomly (*only on the Ducati... not on the Connie). I've made phone calls while on the freeway, and I was told the call was clear, and they didn't realize I was on a bike until I said something. The buttons are actually not to bad to find while riding, even with my winter gloves (I've only had heated grips for a couple months now). Battery life it great. The F4 easily lasts a few days. I did pick up a cigarette charger, just in case. Range is fine. Better in line of sight... but when I ride group, line of sight is no issue. I did ride beyond the range, and the sets connected again without any input by me. Bike to bike communication works great... clear and easy to use. Single button press allows comm or music.

So, in conclusion... I have nothing but props for my F4, but would probably go with the Sena if I was purchasing today.

That's my 4 cents.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
thank you RBX.  you did all the hard work for us!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
Sena for me. I like the fact the controls can be adjusted with gloves on, plus the 3.5mm plug for headphones.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Starcom1 Digital. I tried a BlueAnt and an Autocomm Pro AVi and didn't really care for either one. The BlueAnt was difficult to change modes (intercom, FM, etc.) and tell where you were. It was a 'round robin' type of one button device and it ended up with both of us (my wife and I) saying 'Hello'? in all four modes until the other party answered (and it was never an FM radio station). The Autocomm was OK but did not have the ability to have two separate music inputs, one for each of us, at the same time nor did it have independent cell phone inputs for each of us; the Starcom has both as independent inputs (we don't have to listen to the other's music or phone calls). Both of the other systems also had a VOX setup which required either a fairly long 'uhhhhhhmmmmmm' to activate the intercom circuit or say the first few words of each sentence over again. The Starcom has true full- duplex and the mics are hot all the time so the intercom grabs the first sound properly.

The Starcom is not perfect and it isn't cheap but it is the best system I have used so far.

Brian

This is always a good topic for debate, info, and knowledge...

I have the Scala G4 powerset for me and my wife's helmets, we love it, works great! Blue tooth phone, FM radio, mp3, GPS, and helmet to helmet bike to bike communication...  :thumbs: :thumbs:

What are you guys running??
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
edit... The BlueAnt was difficult to change modes (intercom, FM, etc.) and tell where you were. It was a 'round robin' type of one button device and it ended up with both of us (my wife and I) saying 'Hello'? in all four modes until the other party answered (and it was never an FM radio station). ...edit... Both of the other systems also had a VOX setup which required either a fairly long 'uhhhhhhmmmmmm' to activate the intercom circuit or say the first few words of each sentence over again. ...edit...
Brian

I believe the older BlueAnt model is what Brian is referring to. The F4 is newer (came out late '09 or early '10), and is full duplex. I was finding the same bad reviews of the older BlueAnt when I was searching last year. The F4 doesn't have these issues at all. I've done 300 mile rides in full duplex. The F4 also has no FM... just the comm or the phone/GPS/iPod.

I just looked at the BlueAnt website... looks like they're getting out of the helmet comm business... the F4 isn't even listed anymore. So... choose your products accordingly.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Darknesses

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 12:28:31 AM »
I have had the Scala G4 for about 2 weeks now.  I love it.  The sound quality is far better than I expected.  I stream my iPhone 4 to it with no problems.  Most people have said that it doesn't sound like I am talking to them at 80mph. 

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 03:12:32 AM »
I started with the Q2, then went to the G4 and now have the Sena SMH10 for the wife and I, and she rides her own bike.  The Sena works for us and offer a base plate to use your own ear buds and also has a 3.5mm input for something that isn't bluetooth.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
I have the senas and all my friends have/had the scala g4. once they experienced the senas ease of use coupled with superior sound and lower price its was a no brainer, they all switched over!   8)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »
Yep, probably was an older model as it was a few years ago when I tried them out. These types of technical things change and improve over time so everyone should take reviews and opinions like mine with a grain of salt and consider that a newer model(s) may have addressed any problems mentioned.

Brian

I believe the older BlueAnt model is what Brian is referring to. The F4 is newer (came out late '09 or early '10), and is full duplex. I was finding the same bad reviews of the older BlueAnt when I was searching last year. The F4 doesn't have these issues at all. I've done 300 mile rides in full duplex. The F4 also has no FM... just the comm or the phone/GPS/iPod.

I just looked at the BlueAnt website... looks like they're getting out of the helmet comm business... the F4 isn't even listed anymore. So... choose your products accordingly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
I have only used the Sena and the SO and I like them.  I did replace my original base with one that has the "flat mic" when I switched to a different helmet with less chin bar space.  16 months so far and still happy.
T.S.R.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
J&M Audio's Nolan setup is working fantastic for me.  The sound quality and volume is outstanding, and their customer service is top notch.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
What is your opinions re ear buds vs speakers?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »
I did replace my original base with one that has the "flat mic" when I switched to a different helmet with less chin bar space. 

Excellent point TM, thanks for bringing that up...  :thumbs: :goodpost:

Depending on what type of helmet you have also makes a difference with what intercom set-up to go with. My wife and I both have Arai Corsair's and they fit too close to the face for a boom mic, we had to get the "wired mic's" for our set-up. They do work great though but something to definitely keep in mind because in our case the wired mic's are an option for additional $ of course, not all options out there are available in a wired mic...

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
I started with the Q2, then went to the G4 and now have the Sena SMH10 for the wife and I, and she rides her own bike.  The Sena works for us and offer a base plate to use your own ear buds and also has a 3.5mm input for something that isn't bluetooth.

I have the Q2 and use it only a few times a year on rides with my brother. They work but I got spoiled with a bluetooth interface to my blackberry for music too with a cheapo I bought on black friday.  Does the G4 work this way or the Sena?  What did you do with your old units? I'm looking for one more Q2 unit, cheap.  ;D

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »
I used to use earbuds.  I cant remember what brand but I spent about $70 on them.  It drove me NUTS when one would work its way out while I was on the road.  The switch to speakers really has brought something back to my rides.  I tried Chatterbox and one other, but just couldnt hear them well.  The J&M setup has amazing volume and sound, and I have ridden up to about 15 hours before recharging (it hadnt quit yet, I just found the energy to plug it in that day.) 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
I have the Q2 and use it only a few times a year on rides with my brother. They work but I got spoiled with a bluetooth interface to my blackberry for music too with a cheapo I bought on black friday.  Does the G4 work this way or the Sena?  What did you do with your old units? I'm looking for one more Q2 unit, cheap.  ;D

Yes, I blue tooth the mp3 on my Garmin to my G4, works awesome!  :thumbs:

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
I was surprised that the Q2 didn't have the bluetooth for music...kind of crappy. BUT these work WONDERFUL for phone calls (via bluetooth!) and of course the intercom is impeccable as long as you are under a mile (or so) of separation.  It's funny how long I spend trying to convince someone that calls me that I'm REALLY riding my bike on the freeway at over 70+ speeds. They just can't believe it since they can't hear any sounds to "prove" it, and they hear me perfectly, like I'm in a quiet room in the house.  Pretty awesome job Cardo folks did on these.