Author Topic: Did I REALLY just see that?  (Read 20427 times)

Offline Armyguns

Did I REALLY just see that?
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
Yesterday, within about a mile after refueling and getting back out on the freeway I caught what I though was a "flash" on the Multifunction Display of "FI".  If I really did see it, it was for a split second.  I was in 6th and doing 75+ so I really wasn't watching the display. It didn't happen again or I didn't see it.  The bike was running fine.  Today, on my way back from the ARC class, in hard driving rain, I was at highway speed, 65+, and I thought I caught both directional lights on the dash flash on just once almost like the four way flasher button was pushed.  My right hand was no where near the flasher button and I wasn't doing anything but concentrating on getting home. 

I know others have talked about the FI display, but I never paid much attention.  I don't recall anyone mentioning the directional lights flashing. 

Any idea what's happening with these events?
2010 C14 ABS

Bob

Re: Did I REALLY just see that?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
With the heavy rain, you might be getting water in the switch housing, which might have effected the flashers (short). I would check for moisture in the switch.
 As far as the FI. I heard quite a few people now say they have had the light come on. (IIRC 2010-maybe 11) But I don't think it's been staying on or creating problems for anybody. Again, IIRC!

Offline GREEKWARLORD

• GTR 1400 '08
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:41:51 AM »
POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL INDERFERENCES.....
I'VE NOTICED THAT FOR A SHORT TIME A YEAR AGO IN CITY LIMITS....
NO ERROR CODES THOUGH..........
72000 KMS,ANOTHER 428000 LEFT WITH GTR 1400!! I HOPE..

Offline curly

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:01:18 AM »
Your bike is possessed? :)
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:11:27 AM »
How many miles have you done? I experienced this around the 600 mark and others have commented as well. There are some theories behind it.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
I would suggest pulling out the battery, removing and CLEANING all the cables, and tie points, and re-install, thightening all the CLEAN connections.
Then you will KNOW they are all ok.....

and you will likely have no further "flash-backs" 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RadarTF

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »
There was a thread on this.  Mine (2010) and others have flashed the FI error with the red light coming on as well.  Mine did it around 500 miles.  Others have had them come on at different intervals, but nothing has come of it.  The consensus is that the internal system is doing some sort of check, but nothing happens and the light goes out quickly.  It does unnerved you and you keep wondering if the bike will die or not start when you turn it back on.  But so far no one that I know of has had any issues pop up after this FI flash. 

As far as the 4-way flashing lights coming on, I have not experienced anything like that even riding in driving rain for several hours on a long ride.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »
There was a thread on this.  Mine (2010) and others have flashed the FI error with the red light coming on as well.  Mine did it around 500 miles.  Others have had them come on at different intervals, but nothing has come of it. 

Yep- I recently posted that my new 2011 did it at about 420 miles or something.  Popped up and disappeared so quickly, the only thing I saw was just the "FI".  So far that is the only time it happened- I was just driving along, nothing special or noteworthy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »
Just saw this on mine this morning. 2010 with 1300 miles. Only flashed once and nothing since.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »
Your bike is possessed? :)

I absolutely believe the bike is posessed.  Something evil takes over my right wrist every time I get on the bike!
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
How many miles have you done? I experienced this around the 600 mark and others have commented as well. There are some theories behind it.

The bike was at about 2700 miles when the FI flashed, and at 3000 the next day when the directional lights flashed.  I did some 'light reading' of the factory shop manual last night about it and I can say that the display ONLY flashed "FI", no "FI ERROR" or warning light ever came on.  I tried running the error code self diagnostic test today but no error code came up. 

This week I will pull the battery and check those connections.  I really doubt they are anywhere close to loose as I was especially careful when installing the aux fuze block to make sure all battery connections were TIGHT. 

I'll just keep an eye on it and take note if it happens again. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
I seem to get it every 2 or 3 thousand miles. Doesn't seem to be a problems though.

Offline Wile

• Kawasaki is Japanese for "Money Pit"
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
I've had 3 in 11000 miles on my 2010.  Latest was today on Blue Ridge Pky.  This last time it came on for a few seconds and went back to normal.  Then about 5 seconds later it came back on for even longer... I thought I was screwed but it went off and was good the rest of the ride.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.
Past Bikes...  A bunch.  Current Bikes 1975 Z1 (the rat bike) and a 2010 C14

Offline booger

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 04:44:23 AM »
a two wheeled Christine    :yikes:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
my '10 has done that every few thousand miles since I owned it. >32,000 miles now and no issues to report, actually if the bike goes a while without the light I start missing it.

on the old forum you could've ran a search and seen a plethora of the same comment i just posted it is so common. no worries, no need to call ghostbusters lol
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

RobQc

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 07:24:13 AM »
I've seen that FI flashing once at about 4000 miles on my 2010.  I was in mountains and going up in altitude,  a sudden temperature change ... a 20F drop.  It stays on flashing few times and again minutes later.  I though that it was due to these ambiant changes detected by a sensor probe.  This is the only time that happened with my bike up to now.   

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »
My 2010 has done this 6 times so far, at 298 miles, 434 miles, 1543 miles, 1837 miles, 6680 miles, and 10,125 miles.  Bike has 12,224 miles on it now.

I had the dealer check the ECU for any EFI error codes, and there were no saved error codes.  Since all codes are supposed to be saved, I suspect the code has to be persistent for some minimum time period before it is stored.  I never saw a FI error last more than 4 seconds.

The zip file below is the Google cache version of the old thread on this.  For those who are curious, unzip and open the .htm file in your web browser to read all the prior discussions.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline dbird29

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
My 2010 had done the FI Error message twice in 4K miles.

Both times it was about 38 degrees F and raining.
There was no change in engine performance so I figure it must be a sensor tripping the error message.
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »
I just had my second FI error on my 2011 a few days ago.  I was coming out of a tunnel, around 658 miles.  As before, it was gone so fast, there was no reading it, other than a glimpse of "FI".  I noticed no problem, no hesitation, no issues.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »
i have had my '11 ABS for 1.5months now and 3000 miles and no lights.......