Author Topic: No ABS or KTRC  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Kazairl

No ABS or KTRC
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:58:49 PM »
So Tuesday I had the bike parked outside and about 10:00 PM a hail storm rolls through. I ran out and went to put it in the barn. Fired it up and started going and I get warning lights on the dash about the KTRC and ABS systems. Bike tried to go into Traction control mode for a second and then went liek normal. I kept the throttle open on it because I was getting pounded in the head by quarter sized hail.

So I been riding it around with the warning lights blinking. No Traction control, ABS or linked brakes(yay!). I was fooling around with the display today and discovered I could read the trouble codes by performing the two finger salute. Sitting still I got error Code B 43  and after I started moving I got Code 27.  Anybody knows what these mean?

The bike is still under warranty so I may just take it to the shop but I can't do it tomorrow. The nearest Kaw place is an hour away and I promised a friend I'd help him finish his roof tomorrow. Bike runs like normal, just no electronic nannies.

Offline C14PAINKILLER

Re: No ABS or KTRC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:29:12 PM »
My 2010 service manual lists:

B43  Front wheel rotation sensor wiring (wiring shorted or open, connector bad connection)

Code 27  Front and/or rear wheel rotation sensor signal abnormal (sensor or rotor missing, too large clearance, rotor tooth worn or missing, wiring open)

Hope this will help in some way.
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:11:17 AM »
Looks like a trip to the dealer is in your future

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »
Done anything to the front wheel area?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Maybe a hail stone hit the sensor?
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
I would have to have been substantial to damage it but anything is possible.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »
Looked at the front wheel sensor this morning and found the problem. About 8 inches from the wheel sensor the wire has been severed. Why or how I haven't figured out yet since it is fairly well protected and there were no scratches or marks on the surrounding bodywork. I'll take a pic in the A.M. I wonder how much a new wheel sensor costs because it looked like the sensor and wire were all one piece.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »
Is yours is a 2010?  If so then the part number is 21176-0130.  2011 may be the same, but I didn't look.

Ron Ayers has it for $81.57 plus shipping (http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/1273422).

Riders Choice Racing has it for $87.61 with free shipping (http://www.riderschoiceracing.com)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »
Could have been damaged during manufacturing or assembly at the dealer. Take some photos of it (especially if you decide to try to get it working before you go to the dealer) and then take it in to see if warranty will cover it.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »
Yes mine is a 2010. That is exactly what I need Thanks.

And It wasn't the dealers fault. I'm pretty sure I know what caused it. It's about 18" tall, Black and white, and definitely does NOT answer to the name of "Stupid Mutt".

Anybody want a dog? Slight Chewing problem.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:26:46 AM »
Take it out of his allowance....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
Sorry to hear the pup chewed through the sensor wire on the bike. But whatever you do, don't tell us (mostly me) if you punished the dog 'cause I have a soft spot for the little furballs. Even the ones I haven't met yet....  ;)  I always carry a bag of dog treats with me and have gotten to meet some really fantastic dogs along the way. Occasionally the human on the other end of the leash is OK but the dogs are great.  :D

Brian

And It wasn't the dealers fault. I'm pretty sure I know what caused it. It's about 18" tall, Black and white, and definitely does NOT answer to the name of "Stupid Mutt".

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »

Well, that chewing problem is actually a cry for attention, screaming "Take me for a ride!"..   ;D  Obviously your mutt loves your C14 too, just doesn't understand it needs to hop up on the seat and wait patiently.

Or it could be that beautiful Candy Neptune Blue is just irresistible to dogs.  I know it attracts bugs like crazy.   ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »
I think it's jealous I spend more time on the bike than with it. Funny thing is, It's a (YEAH RIGHT!) free dog. I came home from a weekend trip to Kansas about a month ago and found him laying under my Bronco. Small white and Black Aussie. We figured he is about 6 months to a year old. Somewhat Malnourished. For some strange reason I took pity on him and fed him. Hasn't left since. One of these days I should take him to the Vet and make sure he has all his shots.

For the most part I do like the dog. I just need to cure a few bad habits.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
what is the 2  finger shuffle i hear about?
  i had the low fob battery warning the other day ...
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »
It's where you push the two buttons on the dash at the same time. If you just push and release, it stops the warnings flashing on the LCD screen and the Big Red light comes on. If you hold them for a few seconds it displays the Error Codes.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
Aaaah ... thank you.
  i tried a few different things ... but i guess i didnt get it right.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
Aaaah ... thank you.
  i tried a few different things ... but i guess i didnt get it right.

Press and hold the top button, press and release the bottom button, release the top button.  It will clear the nag screen, and turn on the nagging red light.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
Oh great, now everyone knows how to do it....  :D

By the way, the LCD will clear the error when the bottom button is released rather than when the top button is released.

Brian

Press and hold the top button, press and release the bottom button, release the top button.  It will clear the nag screen, and turn on the nagging red light.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com