Author Topic: Is KiPass undefeatable? Or 'Now for the Scotch test'  (Read 6905 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Is KiPass undefeatable? Or 'Now for the Scotch test'
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
It certainly does seem so.

For those who have been following along, I have been conducting highly scientific tests to see how impervious a KiPass fob is to liquids commonly consumed by humans. We obviously start with water, which was no problem.

The next tests used soda, beer and wine. The fob sorta' failed during the wine testing in Wellsboro, PA but only because I had soaked it too long- something more than two hours. Even then it did not damage the fob but it did drain the battery (due to the internal short) and I had to replace the battery. Finally, we got to the Scotch test on Thursday night at the COG National. These photos were takes by Steve Smith.

http://omnismith.smugmug.com/Concours-Owners-Group/COG-National-Rallies/2011-COG-Green-Mountain/18427028_9F69SF#1427357430_mXFRKbd

Yep, that is my fob soaking in a glass of Scotch whiskey.

http://omnismith.smugmug.com/Concours-Owners-Group/COG-National-Rallies/2011-COG-Green-Mountain/18427028_9F69SF#1427357434_wt94g5g

This photo shows the glass of Scotch sitting on my fuel tank and the LCD in the background clearly shows that the system recognizes the fob, even through the Scotch.

This test was actually much harsher than I had intended; I tried to get a double of J&B for my fob soaking experiments but was only able to get Dewar's at the banquet bar. Nasty stuff. I also have to report that while liquids taste better after having a fob in there for a while, even a genuine Kawasaki fob could not really 'fix' the taste of a Scotch that bad to begin with. It was better than straight Dewar’s but it was not as good as a real whiskey so we can give Kawasaki 1/2 credit on that one.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Is KiPass undefeatable? Or 'Now for the Scotch test'
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:43 AM »
I wonder if it would pass the Zima test?  I've seen Zima turn ordinary men into... uh... crying, blithering babies.  :o  Oh, wait... I know it can't pass the Zima test... it's not sold anymore!  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »
For those who have been following along, I have been conducting highly scientific tests to see how impervious a KiPass fob is to liquids commonly consumed by humans.

Wow- that is a potentially expensive test you are performing for the sake of curiosity!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline roland

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
Great to know kpass is the perfect system and weather proof. I did an untended test in my swimming pool while vac. the bottom and slipped in. Kpass was fine but wallet and cell phone suffered some damage :yikes:

I do have a question, in picture 40 at the rally, what kind of seat is on the silver connie in the left foreground?
looks like a good back rest for driver and more level seat for passenger. Thanks for any help.
Al

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »
Not curiosity but humor. This bantering has a long history and for the folks who were around on the old forum this is just another step in the humorous chain.

Not really much risk either- the fob is pretty well sealed but even if water gets in it is not likely to damage anything beyond the battery. As long as the liquid is not corrosive it should not be a problem. Sea water is the only thing within reason that I can think of that might, and probably would, damage the internals of the fob. Pure water is <reasonably> kind to electronics and ethanol alcohol is actually very electronics friendly. Pure ethanol (grain) alcohol would be a find fob testing material but I don’t think I am tough enough to drink it afterward….

Brian

Wow- that is a potentially expensive test you are performing for the sake of curiosity!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
If I am looking at the right photo, that is a Corbin saddle. It is not quite the stock seat though but instead the smooth version with no external stitching. It is a two- piece saddle, of good quality but very hard and quite heavy. I use one myself for the seating position and saddle shape but cover it with an Airhawk so I can use the bike for more than 1/2 per day; a stock Corbin reduces me to tears in well under an hour.

Brian

Great to know kpass is the perfect system and weather proof. I did an untended test in my swimming pool while vac. the bottom and slipped in. Kpass was fine but wallet and cell phone suffered some damage :yikes:

I do have a question, in picture 40 at the rally, what kind of seat is on the silver connie in the left foreground?
looks like a good back rest for driver and more level seat for passenger. Thanks for any help.
Al

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
KiPass  <---mad pow-ah of the gods  8)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
Kirby explains KiPass well.....
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »
Kirby is still in a huff over not going to the COG national. He is being quite rigid about the whole thing.....

Brian

Kirby explains KiPass well.....

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:31 AM »
Kirby is still in a huff over not going to the COG national. He is being quite rigid about the whole thing.....

Brian

yeah, we know he's kind of stiff lately...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 03:14:11 AM »
yeah, we know he's kind of stiff lately...

He might be a little board too...   ::)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:53:41 AM »
Friends dont let fobs drink and ride 8)  All you are is an enabler ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
Nope, I just verified that the fob still worked even dunked in liquid, took a couple of photos and went back to the hotel. Actually we went back to the patio behind the hotel where we made fire and drank alcohol just like our cavemen ancestors. I actually consumed that Scotch even after someone put a marshmallow in it (!!); whiskey gets cloudy if you put marshmallows in it…. who knew?

It is not like crimes were not committed that night (you should have heard some of the riding stories told!), it is just that DUI did not seem to be one of them.  ;D

Brian

Friends dont let fobs drink and ride 8)  All you are is an enabler ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »
Nope, I just verified that the fob still worked even dunked in liquid, took a couple of photos and went back to the hotel. Actually we went back to the patio behind the hotel where we made fire and drank alcohol just like our cavemen ancestors. I actually consumed that Scotch even after someone put a marshmallow in it (!!); whiskey gets cloudy if you put marshmallows in it…. who knew?

It is not like crimes were not committed that night (you should have heard some of the riding stories told!), it is just that DUI did not seem to be one of them.  ;D

Brian

No DUIs but uhmmm... anything else happen  ;D

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 11:48:48 AM »

It is not like crimes were not committed that night

I think Paul Blart would disagree with you LOL  :D :D :D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
A double negative- it means that crimes <were> committed but I was talking about all the fibbing about motorcycle riding prowess. I forgot about the infamous "Wood displacement" issue of 2011. Paul is probably dusting the woodpile for fingerprints as we speak (type?).

Brian

I think Paul Blart would disagree with you LOL  :D :D :D

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 07:16:11 AM »
I think he's upset cause we insinuated that his Segaway can't keep up in the twisties!! LOL

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
My riding lawn mower broke today but my Concours didn't.   The mad pow-ah of KIPASS!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
OK but did you have your fob with you on the lawnmower? If not, shame on you....  :D

Brian

My riding lawn mower broke today but my Concours didn't.   The mad pow-ah of KIPASS!