Author Topic: Steering Head Bearing Tightening Procedure  (Read 12817 times)

Offline lolife

Steering Head Bearing Tightening Procedure
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
I've searched & found a little information but could someone tell me how to check the tightness or the steps to tighten the steering head bearings?  Mine feels loose.  It seems to me like it takes too little effort to turn the handlebars.

Is there a special socket required?  Pics would be awesome...if someone hasn't taken pics, I'll post pics of mine when I do it.

Thanks in advance

Offline mikegy

Re: Steering Head Bearing Tightening Procedure
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »
This is for an 08-09. Not sure your model year. You do need a special tool. See attached.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
It takes a special tool similar to this one, I think someone on the forum sells them. Also here's a photo of what's in there.

Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »
Seems to me that Kawasaki took a step backward by using ball bearings instead of tapered roller bearings in the steering head.  When the time comes for me to lubricate mine I would like to replace the balls with tapered rollers.  Does anyone know if a conversion kit is available?  Does anyone know where the tool mentioned by Phil Ham can be obtained?
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
Seems to me that Kawasaki took a step backward by using ball bearings instead of tapered roller bearings in the steering head.  When the time comes for me to lubricate mine I would like to replace the balls with tapered rollers.  Does anyone know if a conversion kit is available?  Does anyone know where the tool mentioned by Phil Ham can be obtained?

Tapered bearings can be found here:  http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html

Think that guy quit making those tools, but a small spanner wrench (like the factory tool referenced in the attachment above) will work just as well.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
Agreed- the angular contact ball bearings originally supplied just do not provide enough damping IMO. I replaced mine about 30K miles ago with a set of tapered roller bearings from All Balls Racing and I like the new bearings much better. I do not put as much preload on them as the stock bearings though; stock calls for 17 ft. lbs. of torque while the tapered bearings seem to perform better with 10 ft. lbs. of torque.

There was a guy making a very nice stem tool for the C-14 for something like $46. He donated one to the COG national so I assume he is still making them. His e-mail is: ehcycledude@yahoo.com   The tool is very well made and a buy at that price IMO.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lolife

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »
Thank You for all the information & especially thank you to mikegy for the link to the adjustment procedure.  I'm going to email the guy about the socket.  I'll post any information I obtain here. 

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
You lose a lot of steering feel with roller bearings. Granted, on a big heavy bike it might not be a big deal, but its real.  Plus, the rollers are not as forgiving when it comes to a tight or loose adjustment.  You get  a much better feel for steering when either bearing is adjusted correctly and a steering damper is used . The roller bearings give  a very dead, heavy feel if they are adjusted even a little too tight.  Not so much with the ball bearing.

For the correct adjustment, one of the fist scales helps a lot.  Something like this.   http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_13327_100011004_100000000_100011000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

Its not much help on the first adjustment, but once you decide how much tension you like its easy to repeat the next time.  I use 4.5 lbs on my dirt bike measured from the end of the handlebar.  In other words, it will take 4.5 lbs of pressure to bring the bars from the full right position to straight position.  Plus, if you are one of the folks who likes more tension on these bearings, it gives a good baseline measurement to add or subtract from.

Offline lolife

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »
I received an email from the guy who makes the sockets.  He's still making them & they're $47 shipped. 

Thanks for the fish scale recommendation.  My father-in-law is a semi-professional fisherman so I'm sure he has one laying around.  I'll ask him about it & see what I can come up with.

I like my handlebars tight.  I like to have to use a little force to turn the bars.  I'll play around with it & see what I come up with.  Does anyone know if someone makes a steering damper that will fit this bike?  Mine is an '09.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
Thanks to all for the tapered roller bearing information, I will be ordering them tomorrow.  As for the socket, I will do what I have done in the past, just make one myself.  Concerning the type of grease to use for this application, I have been using grease specified for lubricating constant velocity joints for years and don't see any reason to change now.  Any comments on this choice?
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »
I had mine at the required 17 ft. lbs. and they felt too tight. Backed them off and tightened by feel.  Easy job, 1/2 hr. tops. I don't even remove the handle bars from the top clamp.
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
At 17 mine were still a bit too loose.... Have them at 23 now and they seem right... (Thanks again to Brian for demonstrating on my bike at the National how this should be done) :)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »
Why I don't search the forum first!!  I just took mine to steelership and they charged me $147 to adjust and lube them.  They said next service they would recommend they be replaced completely.

Note to self - Search forum for answers before paying steelership prices!! 

Oh well - Live and learn...  I guess I thought it was a difficult procedure.  So is the procedure to completely replace them more difficult?  The dealer makes it seem so....

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
If anyone still has an interest in this socket, I have one available.  Bought it few years back to do the steering bearing/adjustment on my 2008 c14.  Ended up trading the bike in before I ever got to use.  It's in brand new/unused condition.

$SOLD shipped to the lower 48.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:10:37 PM by chi-gpz1100 »

Offline Coomers

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »
If anyone still has an interest in this socket, I have one available.  Bought it few years back to do the steering bearing/adjustment on my 2008 c14.  Ended up trading the bike in before I ever got to use.  It's in brand new/unused condition.

$50 shipped to the lower 48.

PM Sent
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:10:56 PM by chi-gpz1100 »

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
Socket no longer available.  (Wow that was fast!)

Offline Freddy

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
This guy in England made one for me recently - fits perfectly.  He has an ebay store but hasn't got them listed just yet.  Email him here if you would like details. 

mailto:vince_goosey@hotmail.com

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kawasaki-GTR-1400-Swing-Arm-Nut-Socket-Tool-/120790267765?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c1fa93775
The best substitute for brains is .............what?