Author Topic: Cam Chain Tensioner noise????  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Cowie

Cam Chain Tensioner noise????
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
I have a 2008.  At about 8k, I started to get a rattle in the engine when started cold that last for about 3-5 seconds.  The dealer told me it was the cam chain tensioner and it is of no concern.  Is anyone else having this problem?

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner noise????
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
The dealer is right and it's not a 'problem'.  Annoyance, yes.  Problem, no.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cowie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
Thanks!  Is it common with bike?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »
Yep, your dealer is correct. Nothing to worry about, just a 'no cost extra' that comes with a C-14.

Just to clarify, the noise itself seems to be coming from the cam chain itself as it slaps against the right hand engine block. The cam chain is loose for the first few seconds of running because the cam chain tensioner is hydraulically operated and pressurized by the engine's main oil system. The noise usually only occurs after the bike has been sitting overnight; the oil drains out of the CCT very slowly. Also the cam chain usually only makes the rattle when the bike is started on the sidestand.

A manual cam chain tensioner cures the noise but they require additional maintenance because the factory CCT is fully automatic and requires no maintenance.

Brian

I have a 2008.  At about 8k, I started to get a rattle in the engine when started cold that last for about 3-5 seconds.  The dealer told me it was the cam chain tensioner and it is of no concern.  Is anyone else having this problem?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com