Author Topic: Throttle Locks  (Read 18951 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Throttle Locks
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »
OK, so this can be the resurrection of the throttle lock threads (lost in the forum crash).

I, for one, have CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome) from way too many years of keyboarding.  What this means is that after 15 or 20 min of trying to hold the throttle, I my fingers will start to go numb, and/or I can get pain in my wrist.  This is actually not an uncommon problem with motorcycle riders.

A throttle-lock is a device that will hold the throttle open so you can momentarily remove your right hand from the handlebar and "shake" the feeling back into the hand.  Or just reduce the gripping force which also helps.  It can also help with hand cramps even for people without CTS problems.

There are many types of throttle locks.  Most of them fall into three categories- those that clamp on the bar end, like the Throttlemeister, those that grab the handle on the outside, like the Go Cruise, and those that grab the throttle tube near the inside, like the Vista Cruise or NEP Cruise.  The bar-end ones are invisible and long-lasting.  But they are harder to use and can be very expensive.  People claim the Go Cruise is cheap and effective- but it does have issues with certain covers, and robs some hand space.

I have my eyes on the Vista Cruise.  There are two types- the universal, which is bulky and ugly, and the non-universal, which is sleek and small.  The Vista is relatively inexpensive, simple to operate, and the non-universal doesn't rob the operator of control space.

I don't have a Vista on the C14 yet (did on my old ZRX a long time ago).  From previous forum research  it seems the correct Vista model number for the Concours is the Yamaha version, model MCVICY-P.  But I am not sure it will work properly with the 2011(/2010) which have heated grips, so there is a larger lip and a wire where it would mount.  Has anyone installed a MCVICY-P on a 2010/2011?  Was it successful?  Please share installation and use experiences and pictures.

Of course, postings about other throttle locks are welcome.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tralfaz

• Twice removed from yesterday
Re: Throttle Locks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »
That looks like the vista cruise I used. In the the old forum there was postings on the mods needed to install it, witch was a little bracket you made to hold the bottom in place and a little work with a dremel tool. HTH   
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MOioVueRFboJ:forum.concours.org/index.php%3Ftopic%3D64809.0+site:concours.org+vista+cruise&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com
2009 C-14
AMA MEMBER

Offline varnado

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:40 AM »
I have the Throttlemeister and it works great.

But.....

I later bought one of these for my other bike and it works great too. Easy to use, easy to remove and simple design. Best yet it is less than $20.
http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html
Ride Safe, Randy

08' Concours 14
08' B-King

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »
That looks like the vista cruise I used. In the the old forum there was postings on the mods needed to install it, witch was a little bracket you made to hold the bottom in place and a little work with a dremel tool. HTH   
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:MOioVueRFboJ:forum.concours.org/index.php%3Ftopic%3D64809.0+site:concours.org+vista+cruise&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com

The problem is few people say what year bike (you didn't either!) and those that did, said 2008.  The photos, for example, are of pre-2010 installation.  Because of the heated grips on 2010/2011, there are some significant differences.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
+1 Throttlemeister, took some time to learn to use it, now it's great.

Offline booger

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »

But.....

I later bought one of these for my other bike and it works great too. Easy to use, easy to remove and simple design. Best yet it is less than $20.

I use the GoCruise also.  It's about as simple as you can get.  Works great.  It just irritates me to pay $20 for a 50 cent piece of plastic.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »
I use the GoCruise also.  It's about as simple as you can get.  Works great.  It just irritates me to pay $20 for a 50 cent piece of plastic.

I just ordered one today, and I have no problem paying $20 for it. The Cat oring works just fine, but this looks just like the ticket for me. The Crampbuster's are also cheap plastic, but they too really help on the slab. I may very well invest in a Throttlemeister eventually, but going cheap for now will suffice. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
I use the throttle meister on the c14 and have a gocruise on the SO's v-star.  Both work well.  I didn't mind paying the 20 bones for the gocruise.  I was a little upset that I didn't think of the idea though. 
T.S.R.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »

The Crampbuster's are also cheap plastic, but they too really help on the slab.

I've never used the Crampbuster myself but I see them on alot of bikes. Are they in the way for just normal riding? Do they really help on long flats?

Thanks.

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »

Bob

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »

I've never used the Crampbuster myself but I see them on alot of bikes. Are they in the way for just normal riding? Do they really help on long flats?

Thanks.

I've used both the crampbuster and throttlerocker brands. They allow you to loosen up your grip while maintaining throttle pressure. They do work well. But they do not allow you to totally remove your hand from the throttle to shake it out a little like a throttle lock. These are good, but not as much by themselves.
 If you use decide to use one. I recommend the throttle rocker over the crampbuster. Although the crampbuster gripping the throttle grip is better. The Carampbuster is a straight piece of plastic that's not ergonomically shaped to fit your palm. I use to tend to give me a sore or blistered palm after use. Where as the throttle rocker is shaped with your palm and thumb in mind. So it tends to fit your hand better and not make your palm sore. So I recommend the throttle rocker over the cramp buster.
 But like I said, they are good, but use them in conjunction with a throttle lock or cruise control for much more versatility in riding comfort. Of course this is just my opinion!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »
I've used both the crampbuster and throttlerocker brands. They allow you to loosen up your grip while maintaining throttle pressure. They do work well. But they do not allow you to totally remove your hand from the throttle to shake it out a little like a throttle lock. These are good, but not as much by themselves.
 If you use decide to use one. I recommend the throttle rocker over the crampbuster. Although the crampbuster gripping the throttle grip is better. The Carampbuster is a straight piece of plastic that's not ergonomically shaped to fit your palm. I use to tend to give me a sore or blistered palm after use. Where as the throttle rocker is shaped with your palm and thumb in mind. So it tends to fit your hand better and not make your palm sore. So I recommend the throttle rocker over the cramp buster.
 But like I said, they are good, but use them in conjunction with a throttle lock or cruise control for much more versatility in riding comfort. Of course this is just my opinion!

Thanks Cap'n!

I have "Hotgrips", so my options are somewhat limited regarding a true throttle lock I think...

It looks like the Crampbuster's do make both a "palm shaped" one and a longer skinnier straight-type one as you mentioned. I just found this on ebay and show's in the ad the different models and sizes available. FYI, if you have "Hotgrips" like I do then it would require the larger 1&3/8" one I think...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290413759999&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »
It looks like the Crampbuster's do make both a "palm shaped" one and a longer skinnier straight-type one as you mentioned.

I have something similar in concept I used on my ZRX- it is a rubber, "strap-on" type of thing.  I don't use it though, because it really didn't help much.  In my case, I have to remove my hand totally and rotate my hand around a few times to get feeling back.  I also felt less in control with this type of thing.

I attached a picture of it if you are curious.
EDIT:  Oh, it has a name on it- it is called "Throttle Boss"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:15:28 PM by maxtog »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »

it is a rubber, "strap-on" type of thing. 

??? :-X ...

;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
??? :-X ...

;)

LOL!  Didn't even cross my mind until after you forced me to re-read what I wrote.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 06:17:09 PM »
Like some of the others, I bought the "Go Cruise" and have no issues with spending $20 for it, since it works so well - for the purpose of giving your throttle hand a break. It won't hold a set speed like electronic cruise control, and it has a tendency to back off a bit over time, probably due to vibration, but I think it's great for stretches of highway, or even short but quiet secondary roads.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »

But.....

i will be getting one of these super soon for the connie and the SV.  one question do i get the smaller one for the connie?

Offline t2sfd

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
 Is the throttle tube stiff enough not to be deformed by the pressure from the Go Cruise, in turn causing friction between the throttle tube and the handlebar when turning the throttle?

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
Throttlemeister...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
I had Vista Cruise on 2 other bikes. When I got the '10 C14 I was afraid to mess with the heated grip to move it for a Vista Cruise so I got a Throttlemiester. I never got used to it. I missed the instant on/off of the Vista Cruise. So eventually I carefully moved the grip out 1/4 inch and installed the Vista Cruise. Now I have both and I haven't used the Throttlemiester since.

I later also installed a Rostra electronic cruise control. I love the Rostra and use it all the time but I still use the Vista Cruise when I just want to take my hand off for a few seconds to stretch, scratch whatever. The Throttlemiester is now nothing more than expensive end weights.