Author Topic: Front engine mount bracket doesn't line up  (Read 19599 times)

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Front engine mount bracket doesn't line up
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 05:38:07 pm »
For what it's worth, I removed BOTH  left and right  Y shaped brackets while doing both my valve adjustments. Some unknown time after the first adjustment, both  lower bolts FELL OUT and were lost! I went 30,000 plus miles between first and second adjustment, when I discovered the missing bolts. I have to assume I did not properly torque the bolts or failed to apply appropriate thread locker, causing the loss. The good news is that ridind the bike  without these bolts caused no permanent problems or even any noticeable handling issues.  The bad news is that does not really help the OP.

I agree with Brain that you probably need to follow the full engine installation bolt tightening sequence prescribed in the manual, including starting with loose rear mounting bolts.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:37 pm »
Use the right tool to make it line up

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »
Steve is right- never force anything, just use a bigger hammer.

But really, that situation you have there is puzzling. Maybe it is as you mentioned and it was misaligned and misassembled at the factory and it really wasn't problem until disassembled?

Brian

Use the right tool to make it line up

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Freddy

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »
Steve is right- never force anything, just use a bigger hammer.

Laughed til I cried.  Never thought of that b4.   :offtopic:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline vortex2

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 06:24:48 am »
The unusual thing about this whole problem is that there is no 'play' in the mounting system that I can discern. As another poster pointed out, he was missing both front bolts and had no apparent problems. From what I can see, the frame and engine are manufactured to fit together with fairly close tolerances, and when something goes wrong, there is no easy solution.
I lifted the whole bike using just one front engine mount and the engine didn't move a mm.
I wish we had a Kawasaki tech to refer to.

Offline lather

• Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:16 am »
The unusual thing about this whole problem is that there is no 'play' in the mounting system that I can discern. As another poster pointed out, he was missing both front bolts and had no apparent problems. From what I can see, the frame and engine are manufactured to fit together with fairly close tolerances, and when something goes wrong, there is no easy solution.
I lifted the whole bike using just one front engine mount and the engine didn't move a mm.
I wish we had a Kawasaki tech to refer to.
Have you studied pages 8-9 thru 8-11 of the service manual. There are seven sequential steps for installing the engine including the rear mounting bolts and ADJUSTING COLLARS and the left front engine bracket bolts which begins with step 3: "Thirdly, install the left engine bracket [A] and temporally
tighten the left engine bracket bolts "

I am guessing the rear engine mounting bolts are not adjusted properly, either wrong at assembly or they have loosened. If you do not have the manual I will send you these pages.

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 07:49:52 am »

(Already had it hosted from a previous thread...)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:01 am »
hammer beats reading the manual any day
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline vortex2

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 12:47:35 pm »
OK looks like we are getting somewhere, thanks to all, esp. Lather

However, despite what appears to be a method to correct, does anyone have a theory for
how the engine apparently moved UP in its mounting position?

I can understand moving down when mounts were removed (gravity), but up?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:13 pm »
Any kind of tension in the system could cause the engine to 'shift' in any direction once the brace(s) holding the engine in place are removed. It is a fairly complex sequence to install the engine in the frame on a C-14 and there is always the possibility it was not done correctly, even at the factory, and there is some residual tension in the mounts.

The odd part here is that the engine did not just move upwards if the right / forward motor mount is still aligned. The engine would have to twist in the frame, clockwise by the sounds of it.

If that is what happened, the fix is still the same though- go back through the engine installation sequence and see if you can get everything to align properly.

Brian

OK looks like we are getting somewhere, thanks to all, esp. Lather

However, despite what appears to be a method to correct, does anyone have a theory for
how the engine apparently moved UP in its mounting position?

I can understand moving down when mounts were removed (gravity), but up?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
I'm kinda surprised my idea didnt get any traction, I'll 'splain it a bit differant, up on center stand, weight on back tire so front is off the ground and see if pulling the front end toward the motor relieves the slack.  As I understand it, the motor is part of what ties everything together, right?

Offline lather

• Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
I'm kinda surprised my idea didnt get any traction, I'll 'splain it a bit differant, up on center stand, weight on back tire so front is off the ground and see if pulling the front end toward the motor relieves the slack.  As I understand it, the motor is part of what ties everything together, right?
Yes, I am pretty sure the engine is a stressed frame member but the idea is for it all to be very stiff - there should not be ANY slack.

Offline lather

• Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 03:48:02 pm »
I just had a thought. It is a strecth but Vortex, do you by any chance have the cast aluminum battery cover removed?

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 04:03:36 pm »
Interesting thought Lather....Now that you mention it, I wonder if that hole would allow enough flex to let the engine kant.
T.S.R.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 04:35:54 pm »
Given how twisted the rear section of my frame was from the factory, I would have to wonder what the alignment tolerances are to begin with for the front (main) frame.

Perhaps this is just normal for these bikes, and some are straighter or align better than others.  After all, how many on here have actually removed both mounts at the same time?  I'll bet that number is in the single digits.  That could explain everything, except why it was not spec'd better.   ::)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250