Author Topic: woops, found out about the FJR  (Read 25868 times)

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
Re: woops, found out about the FJR
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 04:29:17 pm »
Yeah, I think I will go to Oxford's dictionary site and ask if there is any reason I should NOT go to Webster and get a dictionary....

;)

Brian
Don't mean to be a smartaxx , Brian , but he is on the "other bikes" section... ::)
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »
thanks to this forum, I realized the FJR1300 existed. I really like the blue '05. I like my C10, but ever since riding that C14 I can't get the taste of the instant power out of my mouth. tell me why, if I DO upgrade, I should NOT buy a FJR? is it a good bike? I like the twin pipes over the C14 plus, I saw an '05 for $5500 on ebay.

As already stated the biggest gripe with the fjr is the 5 spd tranny.  I test drove two different fjrs on two occasions and both times it bugged me - especially since my last two bikes ( both yamahas ironically ) had 6 speed gear boxes.  It also didnt feel as sporty as the c14 either.  Of course with that said had there been a clean fjr for sale in my area for $5500 when i bought my c14 this spring there is a damn good chance I would have jumped on it.  Up here is WI c14s are a lot more common and are much cheaper new or used.  Looking back I'm very happy I ended up with a connie even though originally it wasnt my top choice because of my prior brand loyalty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »
When I went from 26 years on 6 different Gold Wings I looked at the FJR, ST1300 and the concours. In my opinion the concours was a clear winner. The FJR and ST1300 only have a 5 speed tranny and both in my eyes were ugly. The C14 had  almost everything I wanted, I wish it had a 7.7 gas tank like the ST1300 and of course a cruise control.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline booger

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:40:33 am »
The FJR and C14 are both good bikes. I have had them both. go ride em both and pick the one you like. they are pretty much Ford Chevy
we can go on and on and about this one has that and that one has this. it comes down to which one you like
they both have more power than most of us can handle

Actually it's not like Ford/Chevy.  It's like Kawasaki/Yamaha. ;D

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:08 am »
When I was doing my research on sport touring bikes, I came across a few reports on a fuel injection bug (I think) on some of the earlier FJRs. So, if you are thinking of picking up the 05, check on that first.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline GTRrob

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 08:09:58 am »
When I was doing my research on sport touring bikes, I came across a few reports on a fuel injection bug (I think) on some of the earlier FJRs. So, if you are thinking of picking up the 05, check on that first.

That's true. I don't think Yamaha fixed that until the 06 or 07 models. I good buddy of mine had an 05 FJR and couldn't make it up Mt St Helens until he got a PC3 added. His bike would bog down and cut out before we would get even half way up!

Good luck with you decision OP. It came down to the FJR and Connie for me too, and I prefer Yams and Hondas. This is my first Kaw and I am very happy. Eats up the miles like nothing else.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:47 pm »
I think you should go out and buy one, they are obviously a superior choice over the C14......look at all the awards and shootouts it has won since the C14 came out?

Pokey, you done forget to include the sarcasm icon again . . . :P

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:37 pm »
Go for it, FJRs taste just like chicken ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »
The thread was started in Open Forum and moved to Other Bikes by a moderator.

Either way, this IS a Kawasaki Concours forum so I find the question regarding why someone should not buy an FJR to be on the 'trolling' side. Nothing terrible about it but I would not go on a forum about the German language and ask why I should not choose French as my primary language.

In the end, no big deal either way but I just happened to have that trolling photo handy when I tripped over this thread anyway. I would not have bothered to look it up just for this thread so think of it as a 'no cost extra'.

;)

Brian

Don't mean to be a smartaxx , Brian , but he is on the "other bikes" section... ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »
Re: 5 speed tranny- I actually prefer the 5 speed (all 4 bikes have 5 speeds) as I have less shifting to manage in daily driving. On the road a 5 spd ends up about the same rpms, just less effort to get there. BTW the FJR has enough torque to never care about the wider gear ratios.

Re: Bugs in the FJR- the gen1 (03,04,05) has a ticking in a (very) few models, and excess heat. The gen2 (06+) has the altitude issue, some ignition issues, and less heat.

Overall both are great bikes...more newer gadgets = C14   lower prices for used = FJR     YMMV
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 06:12:36 pm »
The thread was started in Open Forum and moved to Other Bikes by a moderator.

Either way, this IS a Kawasaki Concours forum so I find the question regarding why someone should not buy an FJR to be on the 'trolling' side. Nothing terrible about it but I would not go on a forum about the German language and ask why I should not choose French as my primary language.

In the end, no big deal either way but I just happened to have that trolling photo handy when I tripped over this thread anyway. I would not have bothered to look it up just for this thread so think of it as a 'no cost extra'.

;)

Brian
\

Cool Beans ! ;D
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 06:19:13 pm »
Pokey, you done forget to include the sarcasm icon again . . . :P

I just figured that most of ya have figured me out by now. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »
Comparing the two bikes, in '11, the C14 is ahead.
The FJR is a 10 year old design that was updated in '06. The C-14 is a fresh design from '07 with some redesign to fix issues in '10.

If you're considering used, the '03 - '05 FJR were pretty reliable bikes. The major issue was heat and valves ticking in '03 - '05 bikes. The same issue (heat) is reported for the '08 - '09 C-14. Some reported second degree burns. I wouldn't buy an '05 because of that.
I would look at the second generation FJR, '06 or newer if heat bothers you.
I'd say all the major issues were fixed in '09 and on. Having a sixth gear would be a nice to have.
I'd rather have a factory installed cruise control.

Personally, I chose the FJR in '09 because of the heat issue in the C-14, larger gas tank and lower seat height.
My choice could have been different if I'd waited another year. Both are great bikes.
Ride safe!

COG 7292

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
Both are certainly fine bikes but I don't think Yamaha has ironed out the problems with the second generation series. In fact, there is a recall coming for 2011 models regarding the front brake switch. There are numerous other ongoing recalls for that model well beyond the start of the second generation.

Brian

Comparing the two bikes, in '11, the C14 is ahead.
The FJR is a 10 year old design that was updated in '06. The C-14 is a fresh design from '07 with some redesign to fix issues in '10.

If you're considering used, the '03 - '05 FJR were pretty reliable bikes. The major issue was heat and valves ticking in '03 - '05 bikes. The same issue (heat) is reported for the '08 - '09 C-14. Some reported second degree burns. I wouldn't buy an '05 because of that.
I would look at the second generation FJR, '06 or newer if heat bothers you.
I'd say all the major issues were fixed in '09 and on. Having a sixth gear would be a nice to have.
I'd rather have a factory installed cruise control.

Personally, I chose the FJR in '09 because of the heat issue in the C-14, larger gas tank and lower seat height.
My choice could have been different if I'd waited another year. Both are great bikes.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline booger

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 06:15:56 pm »
If you want a FJR over a C-14,  Iwould go for it.

Probably one of the bigger mistakes you will make in your life, but at least it's reversible.

You can trade it in on a C-14 next year. :-\