Author Topic: Lubing cables  (Read 7020 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Lubing cables
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
After extended time riding in the rain, just about everything that moves or rotates on my bike started feeling pretty stiff (easy boys!). So I lubed all the pivot points, cleaned the throttle tube and yet the throttle still felt kinda' draggy. So I lubed the cables with this new-fangled "dry" spray lube from Liquid Wrench. It is some kind of ceramic dry lube suspended in a solvent that evaporates. After using that I think the cables felt even worse. So back to the tried 'n true silicone spray. The throttle felt a lot better for about a day and then started to get sticky and draggy again. Silicone spray leaves some kind of waxy film behind and I know better than using that on cables but I did it anyway. So finally I used some graphite lock lube that is also in some kind of petroleum vehicle; the lube goes on wet but dries quickly and leaves behind a fair amount of graphite. I just drizzled it down the cable ends and now they are about 80% of the way to perfect. The lube probably didn't make it all the way to the end of the cables so I will do it again.

The moral of the story is not to use the incorrect lube on cables or things might get even worse than they were when you started. I seem to be slow learning this one but maybe someone else can catch on quicker....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Re: Lubing cables
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
Yep, I have one and was using it when using aerosol lubricants. But my post was about the lubricant itself, not the tool used to install that lubricant.

Silicone spray comes in a pressurized can along with the red tube that fits the cable lubing tool but it is a lousy cable lubricant IMO. So are most types of oil and all greases, again IMO.

A couple of people have asked me what type of lubricant I used- it is this stuff but in a much older, rustier can: http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Ease-Graphite-Lock-Fluid-3-4/dp/B0006MWPZA

The same company also makes an aerosol lube but I have not used it. The liquid stuff is so thin it readily runs down the inside of the cables and I find it very easy to just apply it to the end of the cable sheath and let gravity do the rest.

Brian

The right tool for the job.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
I may have consulted with Kirby first  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
Kirby seems to be anti- lubricants; he says they make him slide around too much. Something about not having pads on his feet anymore and having to walk on his claws....

Brian

I may have consulted with Kirby first  ;D

Offline Ga. Cycle Rider

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »
Try using cable life from protect all. power injected cable lubricant. also dont forget to clean up the inside of the throttle tube and handle bar end under it.

The best Thing I have found is to use a combo of the cable life along with steel wooling the bar and then using a little silicone di-electric grease on the pivot points and inside the throttle tube and on the little nubs on the end of the cables as well. Keeps everything nice and slick. The silicone grease on the cable ends and inside the track around the throttle tube also prevents corrosion in case your washing it a lot or riding in wet conditions.

Never had a cable failure or throttle stick using these methods. But I do service my bikes like they service a stealth fighter....thats all the time, by the book and over the top.
Riding big bore in line fours and v-4 hondas and such since 1976. Lost count of the miles, but it is more than 500 thousand. Currently in the garage...1999 vfr800, keeper forever. 2006 klr 650, forest road thrasher, 2011 C-14 ICBM.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
back in the 70's, when we were all riding enduro bikes, and subjecting them to mud,muck, and goo, every opportunity we could, cable flush/lube was needed...today is different.
Modern bike throttle cables have come a long way, and are plain old super tech now. They are designed with teflon/polymer coatings impregnated onto the inner sleeve and cable surfaces. Adding the wrong lube simply makes them gummy and non-functional.
The only recomendation I have for cables that appear to become sticky, is to completly remove the cable, hang it up, and repeatedly flush the thing using WD-40, and the red snooter tube. It really is only to flush out any grit in there, and the residual film that remains will not deteriorate the factory applied coatings.
Modern cables are really lube free, and lubes are actually frowned upon in lieu of simply replacing a 4 year old cable when the coatings wear off.
We all learn by experience tho..... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline bikelee

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
I use this stuff. I used it on my Triumph Speed Triple clutch cable and it works great !  http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
I use this stuff. I used it on my Triumph Speed Triple clutch cable and it works great !  http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Concours' has hydraulic clutch...wer'e talking throttle cables....spray it on your throttle cables and give us a report on how that works. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
This isn't pertinent to the discussion at hand...

Did you know that teflon can cut steel?  We used to pack Haliburton water pumps (called "twins") with this as a sealant for the water pod shafts.  Pack it too tight and it cuts through the steel. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion
T.S.R.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Gentlemen, it's lubing cables and it's nothing to get perturbed about..  If it works for you, that's great.  It's all good.  Let's all have a nice day and remember greater things.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
I apologize for the side bar...My post wasn't an inference to any wrong doing by any other or to minimize others experiences.  I just never knew that something so slick could cut steel until I ruined two pot shafts packing them too tight.  I have always found that fascinating is all.
T.S.R.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 05:24:12 PM »
No worries...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 01:39:48 AM »
Try using cable life from protect all. power injected cable lubricant. also dont forget to clean up the inside of the throttle tube and handle bar end under it.

The best Thing I have found is to use a combo of the cable life along with steel wooling the bar and then using a little silicone di-electric grease on the pivot points and inside the throttle tube and on the little nubs on the end of the cables as well. Keeps everything nice and slick. The silicone grease on the cable ends and inside the track around the throttle tube also prevents corrosion in case your washing it a lot or riding in wet conditions.

Never had a cable failure or throttle stick using these methods. But I do service my bikes like they service a stealth fighter....thats all the time, by the book and over the top.

My 2012, bought NOS in 2015, is exhibiting signs of a sticky throttle cable. Ordered a can of this stuff and will try it out. Not quite ready to buy a new throttle cable. Bike has but few miles on it....
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 01:41:33 AM »
Forgot to add that I will attempt to use a bore snake to clean out the throttle tube. Will try to report back how that works.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline katata1100

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
I’d run alcohol or something through that cable to get rid of the crap that is affecting your cable.
I recently installed a mcruise and they state in instructions that properly lubed throttle cables are crucial for the system to work properly. They even supplied a small bottle of oil . I don’t remember the viscosity but do recall reading that if you used motor oil, it’d mess it up ( too high viscosity).
I’d use either a commercial plain oil ( no dry additives added) or sewing machine oil.
Btw, after lubing the cables and the bar end, throttle feels great .
I think I’ll do this everytime I change oil.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:52 AM »
This is the best stuff I've found for lubricating control and throttle cables on either motorcycles or bicycles.  It's graphite based with a very thin carrier that gets it all the way down a cable if you squirt it in the high end of the cable.  The carrier evaporates and leaves the slick graphite behind to provide the lubrication.  The graphite doesn't collect crud the way petroleum-based lubes can:

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Aid-Bike-Dri-Slide-Needle-Nozzle/dp/B001F2Y25G

But if the cable is gummed up with something else, it may not work well.  So you may need to clean the cable first.  Remember that not all cables can be saved, so if yours is too far gone you may need to replace it.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
I use Motion Pro cable lube on my BMW with cable operated clutch and it works great.  Motion Pro is a well respected company that also makes cables, so they should know a thing or two about cables.  Plus, they make it with Red Line oil which is also a well regarded.  Before they came out with this, they recommended silicone spray to lube cables.       

https://www.ebay.com/p/Motion-Pro-15-0002-Cable-Lube/171242556?iid=312134773321&chn=ps
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS