Author Topic: ZX-14 throttle body info!  (Read 18418 times)

Offline GTRrob

ZX-14 throttle body info!
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
This was a great thread with a lot of info. I just started thinking about doing this and the forum goes down!  :'(
To the hand full of gurus that have done this:
Pics?
Tips?
Prices?
Resources?

Thanks from Western WA! ;)

Offline jholt8

Re: ZX-14 throttle body info!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:55:29 AM »
I did this mod last week. Highly reccomend it, it pulls hard to the rev limiter and wheelies really easy in first, be carefull, you cannot keep it pinned in 1st gear, you will have to chop the throttle. The Kawi engineers must have choked it on purpose because the in take runner boot measures just over 43mm inside and has a 40mm body on it.

Area P full system, PCV, BMC, 44mm bodies flies out. I'm running it without  map in the PCV until it's dynoed based on  the info from 9SecVMax.

Paid $220 for the TB's on ebay including shipping.

Removal- After tracking the part FedEx I took the old TB's off the night before the new ones arrived. Took me 1.5-2.0 hrs. Remove tank & both side farings. You'll need to remove an engine brace on the LH side. Pull the rubber velocity boots out the airbox/frame access holes. Remove the rubber gasket around the velocity boots will give you another 1/4" clearence on the bottom side to get them out, you'll need it. I fished them out the LH side.

Install- took me about 3 hrs. I swapped the fuel injectors and had to drill & tap the throttle linkage for the cruise control. The cruise control addded 30-45min to the job since the cable brackets had to be removed and re-installed. After getting the throttle bodies in position they are a little tough to get down on the intake boots. I put a piece of 1/4" nylon block I had laying around between the tops of the TB's & the airbox/frame. This way I could pry & apply pressure evenly across all 4.

Test ride- better than prom night.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
GTR, were ya at?  I have the TBs ready to go, just havent had the time.  I'm in Port Orchard, maybe we could learn from each other?

Offline Coomers

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
My wife just called to tell me my ZX 14 TB’s had just arrived. ;D This would be the perfect weekend to install them seeing as it’s going to rain all weekend, but I’m going to wait till someone has a Dyno or Autotune map available for the PCV.

I know some are running it with a zero or FuelMoto’s Area P map but my bike is running so strong and getting such great gas mileage right now, I just don’t want to mess with it till a good map is available.

Offline jb4xx

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
my zx14 tb arrived today.

anyone sharing a map for flies out zx tb?

Offline Coomers

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
my zx14 tb arrived today.

anyone sharing a map for flies out zx tb?

What pipe are you running?

Offline jb4xx

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
What pipe are you running?

stock, aftermarket is too loud

Offline Coomers

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »

I think most that are doing the TB's upgrade are running a full aftermarket system. you may be forced to create your own with either adding an Autotune to your PCV or getting it Dynoed.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »

Turn your music up...  :loco:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
I would hazard an opinion here-adding air in requires an exit, the stocker w/cats may prove that the ZX TBs will have no gain, and may prove to hamper performance.  Kinda like throwing on a 750 double pumper on an ol 350 chevy with stock exhaust, trust me, it ran like crap.  Engine is nothing more then an air pump.  The larger TBs will definately increase what goes in, but you will still have the restrictive cats and stock exhaust.  I dont see much of a gain if all you add is a slip on, dem cats are still there.  If a person plans on doing this mod, it is best served complete.

MHO and YMMV

Chet

Offline jb4xx

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »
going to zx14 exhaust, flow better without being too loud.

Offline Rudy

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
Just finished installing my zx14 throttle bodies and it started to rain. Sh*t! I too bought them on Ebay for $218.00 including shipping. Took about 6-7 hours. It's a tight fit. I ran into some trouble trying to re install the velocity stacks onto the tb's. There are some little **** that hold the clamp onto the velocity stack so the clamps don't turn when tightening. No way I could get them on the tb's that way. I recommend cutting the **** off of the velocity stacks where the clamps go so it will assemble easier. I probably spent 45 minutes fighting that before I cut them off. Went right together then. I have a full Yoshimura zx14 pipe, a PCV with Fuelmoto's full system Area P map and will probably install the Autotune soon. Now if the rain would only stop so I can get out and try it.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
GTR, were ya at?  I have the TBs ready to go, just havent had the time.  I'm in Port Orchard, maybe we could learn from each other?

I'll bring the beer. Tacoma

Offline Coomers

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »
Anyone have a Dyno tune or Autotune map for the ZX14 TB’s, Area P set up yet?

If not now, does anyone have plans to produce one in the near future?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »
Anyone have a Dyno tune or Autotune map for the ZX14 TB’s, Area P set up yet?

If not now, does anyone have plans to produce one in the near future?
Maybe Sunday still looking for a clock with more then 24 hours on it.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
Maybe Sunday still looking for a clock with more then 24 hours on it.

Hey Pappy,

How is Sunday looking for the TB's install?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 01:26:38 AM »
Not sure if you followed my ZXTB thread, they are installed and a short run.  Once I get a few miles on it I'll have a MAP ready for the asking.  If there is anyone from 'round here that wants to do this let me know, I have space in the shop and I'm sure it will go much quicker.  And since I'm still home recovering I have lots of free time.

Offline DuneDevil

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
If there is anyone from 'round here that wants to do this let me know, I have space in the shop and I'm sure it will go much quicker.  And since I'm still home recovering I have lots of free time.

First off, I hope you recover FAST!

Second, where is "round here"?

This would be a fun project if I had some spare time! Plus to meet new friends would be a big bonus!

DuneDevil

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
First off, I hope you recover FAST!

Second, where is "round here"?

This would be a fun project if I had some spare time! Plus to meet new friends would be a big bonus!

DuneDevil
Port Orchard, WA.  Still an open offer, once the ice leaves anyway.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
You really need to take a vacation and come down here to Phoenix, AZ...  Get out of that weather and as a added bonus you could help me install all my farkles that are on there way....

ZX14 Throttlebody's
Full Muzzy exhaust
Autotune
Radiator Guard
Galfer Brake/clutch lines
New Brake Pads
Throttle Meister
Helmet lock
Big Foot
Axle Sliders

Damn I have my work cut out for me....  What was I thinking ordering all at once.