Author Topic: My New Custom Seat Being Built  (Read 15658 times)

Offline Loren

• Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
My New Custom Seat Being Built
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
I have been slowly working on a new seat for the Concours.  It is starting to take shape.  This will be my 3rd generation design for the C14 seat.  I still need to do a little more shape work on the pillion and then install the heating pads.  I just pinned the heating elements on today to see how they would fit with this design shape.

Loren
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline EpicBadass

Re: My New Custom Seat Being Built
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Looks awesome!!!  I recently decided to put my upholstery gear to use and tackle this once the weather gets worse!  ;D

Can you say which type of seat heater you are using, and what kind of cover are you going for? 

Keep us updated I'd like to see the finished result!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
Will it a little softer than the one I got a few months back??  :P

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Gsun

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »
Looks like a Russell.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:13:06 AM »
Looks like a Russell.

Was thinking the same thing!  :o  ;D

Loren, keep up the good work!

:popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rudy

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 06:07:34 AM »
Please keep us up to date. Any idea on pricing yet?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
His will be better than a Russell.......just sayin.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
Nice project!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Loren

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
Can you say which type of seat heater you are using, and what kind of cover are you going for? 

I use Check Corp heaters.  The cover will be leather and I'm still kicking around some design ideas.
Will it a little softer than the one I got a few months back??  :P
It will be more supportive because of it having more surface area than earlier designs.  I'm sure it will feel better than my first generation saddles. 
Looks like a Russell.
Thanks, I guess.  Russell certainly sets the bar for touring comfort.  I plan on going over the bar.   ;D

Please keep us up to date. Any idea on pricing yet?
I need to get this one finished to see were I'm at with time and materials, but will be competitive.

His will be better than a Russell.......just sayin.
Yah...What he said......LOL

I had a little time today to revise the shape of the pillion to put more support under her thighs.   I also cut in pockets for and installed the heating pads.  Next up is designing and fabricating a pillion backrest support bracket into the seat pan.

As a comparison My seat naked next to a naked Russell.  I bought the Russell sometime ago and gutted it.  ;D

Loren
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
When you put the two side by side it is a huge difference.  Your new seat looks like it will be a great alternative for the people that want an all day uber comfortable seat with out having to look at the Russell  :-X.  Can't wait to see the final product!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
I think the biggest complaint about the Russell is getting your feet down in traffic. The passenger seat does not matter and can be wide, but the rider has to have some balance between getting your feet down and riding comfort. Looks like Loren's may be harder to get the feet down.

Offline Loren

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
I think the biggest complaint about the Russell is getting your feet down in traffic. The passenger seat does not matter and can be wide, but the rider has to have some balance between getting your feet down and riding comfort.

Yes, I know this.

Looks like Loren's may be harder to get the feet down.

I'm 5'-9" with a 31" inseam.  This is my saddle, for my Concours.....I can get my feet on the ground.

Mine is on the right.   
Loren
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
Loren, how is it for sport riding?  As a "Rounder" here in the PNW I do all types of riding from LD to the fantastic twisties and a coupla trips to the track a year.  It has been known to get moist once in a while as well so the vinyl has me interested.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »

I'm 5'-9" with a 31" inseam.  This is my saddle, for my Concours.....I can get my feet on the ground.

Mine is on the right.   

[/quote]
Actually, what I was commenting about was the width of the saddle at the horn and the horn being short. The height is probably fine. I am just your size and have some trouble even with the stocker.

Offline westkyguy

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »
 great project where did you get the foam?

Offline koval68

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
Loren, how is it for sport riding?  As a "Rounder" here in the PNW I do all types of riding from LD to the fantastic twisties and a coupla trips to the track a year.  It has been known to get moist once in a while as well so the vinyl has me interested.
+1  ???
I, too, am interested in your finished 3-rd.generation product. I would welcome a vinyl cover option or a decent rain cover for your leather saddle!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »

This will probably answer your question.

www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Loren runs Baldwin Saddles.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Loren

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
Actually, what I was commenting about was the width of the saddle at the horn and the horn being short. The height is probably fine. I am just your size and have some trouble even with the stocker.

The width at the nose is still the stock width.  I can lower 1/2" and narrow the nose up and have done that on a number of seats for riders.  I left mine at the stock height because I want the leg room to the pegs.  I may still narrow the nose before covering, but undecided at this time.

As a "Rounder" ....

Being from the midwest, I have no idea what a "Rounder" is.

For me the C14 is my two up touring bike.  She wanted a Goldwing.  I told her even though I have a LOT of gray hair, I'm not that old and I know a guy that will fix her up a with an awesome pillion saddle.   So understand that I'm not riding the bike in a way that I'm hanging off the side of the saddle through the curves.  I hold that back for reserve when needed to dodge...wildlife, farm tractors....etc hanging out in blind curves.

If I was riding the bike solo and wanting to be able to move around in the saddle I would reduce the lift on the outsides of the saddle shape knowing that I would be giving up some of the support and comfort that it provides to have a more sporting type shape.   It is all give and take in the design.

Jeremy hit the nail on the head.  I buy foam from the manufacturer in bulk.
Loren
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
"Rounder", ride year round, also a well rounded rider who rides all types of roads with a trip to a track once or twice a year, not for racing, but to be a better rider (not road racer). 
You did answer my question, I am not a knee dragger, but I do use a lot of body english to transfer weight when I'm feeling frisky on an empty stretch out in BFE.  I really like my Corbins feel, but a bit more cush for the tush would be nice, a sentiment I get from SWMBO most every ride over 30 minutes.  What I would be looking for (an idea just in case you're interested) is a rider seat more aggressive then the one pictured, and a pillion seat set for the gentiles of our community.  If I was more into the tour aspect I would be all over your design, it really looks great, more appealing then the other brand mentioned ;)

Offline Loren

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:43 AM »
What I would be looking for (an idea just in case you're interested) is a rider seat more aggressive then the one pictured, and a pillion seat set for the gentiles of our community.  If I was more into the tour aspect I would be all over your design, it really looks great, more appealing then the other brand mentioned ;)

Sure always looking for rider input.  For what you want I would flatten the rider's position a little side to side to make sliding to the outside easier.    Then leave the pillion as is for two up riding. 
Loren
www.MotorbikeSaddles.com