Poll

I just GOTTA know.  You should:

Give your standard wave or otherwise cool hand signal.
61 (85.9%)
Check to see if anyone is looking and THEN wave.
2 (2.8%)
Follow them til they stop and see if they will tell how much they REALLY paid.
2 (2.8%)
Fein vision problems and stare straight ahead.
5 (7%)
Go buy one yourself so you can see how they feel.
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?  (Read 20454 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 08:53:42 pm »
I give all bikes the the two finger down salute (I consider trikes and Can-Ams bikes).  Most give the wave back but nearly half of Harley riders won't, doesn't bother me though.  The only time I don't wave is when I am leaned waaay over.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57:30 pm »
Why the hell not?

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:38 pm »
My comment about Harleys was strictly about the chopped bikes cruising around.  I've just learned that it doesn't matter if you wave or not.  They never respond.  So I don't bother anymore.  Sometimes I don't pick them out right away and wave, but when I get nothing back I realize I've tried to friend someone who really doesn't care. 

Otherwise I'll wave to anyone on two wheels.  Okay, I won't wave if you're on the other side of the freeway wall and it's rush hour and I'm trying to survive the commute.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 09:23:58 pm »
Several riders and I were having a discussion on this one.  Do you wave to Can Am Spyders or not?  The overwhelming majority seemed to think the Spyder does NOT qualify as a motorcycle, and therefore their riders do not receive a wave.  The majority also seemed to think they should be ranked the same as scooters.  What do you think?

I don't give a damn what they ride. If they ride a Can-Am or if they ride a scooter, I give them a wave. JMNSHO

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »
I've never met a Can Am Spyder on the road but I'm sure I'll throw up a hand when I do. I wave a most every rider I meet but I especially make an effort to wave at the riders of small scooters. I figure if they are out there riding something without enough power to get out of it's own way, they deserve some recognition.
I've always thought we wave at the rider, not the bike.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline George in N Az

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »
I will wave at almost anybody, why not, at least I know they see me!!! Heck, I will even wave at cars.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »
I will say this...despite my personal opinions on Spyders and scooters, I'll wave at anyone who waves at me.  It's like a reflex, unless I'm leaned over hard or using the clutch.  It's funny to see everyone's different personal rules regarding the wave.  It's such a simple gesture, yet we all have our own requirements for rendering the salute.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 10:08:19 pm »
I feel that since they take pretty much the same chances as us (exposure to weather, no seat belt or airbag, etc), they deserve the wave too.  Even if their bikes look silly.  I also wave at trikes and scooters.  Scooters kinda depends on my mood though, it's a 50/50 thing with them.

I also nod or wave to the local police/firefighters, mostly because there's a somewhat good chance I've conversed with them at some point (at council meetings and such)...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »
I remember a conversation I had many years ago with a Harley rider (I was riding a BMW at the time). He told me that the pure unvarnished truth is that the only riders who don't wave are BMW riders.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:25 pm »
I wave at them all. I have found a funny thing. I have forward highway pegs on my C14. I find I get almost 100% waves from the Harley crowd when I have my feet in the pegs. I'm guessing that with my feet sticking out they mistake it for something other then a Jap ST bike as they are coming toward it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 04:20:30 am »
I've found that with few exceptions those that don't wave really, really need to keep both hands on the bars.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Bob

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:17 am »
I've found that with few exceptions those that don't wave really, really need to keep both hands on the bars.

That's probably true. One problem with the design is that with three separate wheel tracks. Your guaranteed to hit every single imperfection or pot hole in the road!

Bob

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2011, 05:52:17 am »
Bob, I hope you don't run across any unicycles!

Yeah, that may not be taken too well, would it!  ;D

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 06:05:56 am »
I've been there and done that with the Harley's and I can tell you that most of them (not all) HATE us for riding non-American "iron". I really don't see the point in trying to kid-glove this.

Like many others have said, I will wave at anyone in the open air, but here is my take on it....... The Harley group is the only other rider than I am unsure if they are going to wave back. I have no hard data, but seat of the pants response is that 50% of the time, they will not wave back.
And I quoted TurboHawk simply because it stretches beyond the non-American bike. I rode a heavily customized Victory Jackpot for several years and that bike has more American in it than the Harley does and they resent that bike just as much. 
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:36 am »
I always point one finger towards the ground  :yikes:  My normal wave

All seriousness aside, I find most Harley riders wave and most of them will initiate the wave.  Bottom line I wave at anybody.  ;)
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"