Author Topic: Let's see your dog  (Read 28124 times)

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: Let's see your dog
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »
Losing a pet is so hard.  Our best friend of 16 years was just put down last week.  She used to curl up next to my chair.  I still catch myself reaching down to pet her.....I feel your pain Conrad.  :'(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 03:56:03 pm »
I've got no words, Conrad.  :'(
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 04:10:04 pm »
There is no pain quite like grief. The harder we hurt, the more we loved.

Sincere condolences, Conrad.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Saying goodbye to my best little buddy, Sookie.
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 04:28:06 pm »
My sincerest condolences Conrad. It is quite clear from your post that 'you are one of us' and do not see "pets" as animals but basically the better part of what humans could be. To all of us, losing a 'short member of the family' is impossible to describe. I have had two dogs in my life and had to put both down; the first when my kids were still fairly young, and it was absolutely an terrible phase of our lives. I could not shake the thought that in the end, the only thing the little fellls and gals count on is for us to basically keep them alive and each one of us will fail at that eventually. Normally I am not morbid that that thought followed me around for weeks... maybe months.

Funny thing I have found about pets is that they do not even have to be 'mine' to be a pet. My brother had a Doberman that was just a wonderful dog and he and I were the best of pals; I cannot imagine we would be any closer had he been my own pet.

So again, my deepest sympathies to you and your family on losing one of your own.

On a slightly different note: we lost our last dog about 4 years ago and between riding and house work, we decided not to get any more pets for a while. But my wife is terrified that I am going to bring something furry home and we both know she will just not have it in her to reject the animal.... and I will not have to do a thing, just ask if she wants me to take it away, at which point it will live here forever. :-)  So far I have not nor do I intend to do so but just maybe one day, that certain mutt will cross my path, need a home and be sleeping in our bed about a week after establishing all the rules that prohibit that very thing.

You are a good man Conrad; schmucks do not agonize over the loss of any animal (and a lot of people) in my experience.

Brian (who thinks most of my very favorite people are dogs....)

A light has gone out in my life and the world is a darker place for it.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2017, 01:36:51 am »
I lost my Barty McFarty over 18 months and it was a huge hit.

Just over a month ago this little girl adopted me and it's great to have another dog around again.  She is growing and learning fast...

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:52 am »
I still haven't got over the loss of my Schnauzer who passed in 2005.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:03 am »
Conrad I'm so sorry to read your message.

Losing a pet is an awful experience and one from which we pet lovers struggle to recover

Think of all the happy loving times you shared with your Sookie and the smile she put on your face at those times.

Pets give so much and ask for so little in return
CARPE DIEM

Offline Conrad

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2017, 07:48:33 am »
Thanks so much for the kind words guys, I do appreciate it.

Sookie was such a special lil dog. She was so loving and as I said, she was my buddy and was almost always at my side. She was always curious to see that I was doing. If I was working on something she was right there, checking out what I was doing. Most times if I was busy with something and she wanted to play (which was 95% of the time) she'd place her ball right in the middle of whatever I was working on and want me to throw it for her. If I was filling or empting the dishwasher, her ball would be on the dishwasher door and she'd be looking at me waiting for the throw. If I took too long, she'd let me know.

We have two other dogs and one of them, Agnes, is Sookie's sister. Agnes has been besides herself, looking everywhere for Sookie and laying in Sookie's bed. It's heartbreaking.

The house is so quiet now. Sookie was the cheerleader of the three and they fed off of her energy.

It'll take me a long time to get over the loss of this lil dog. When I think of not ever seeing her again, I catch my breath for a moment. It's hard to explain but from the kind words I've read here I know that you guys know what I'm feeling. Thanks for that.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:34 pm »
after about 15 or so years since my last dog I'm just going through the final phases of adopting this great big shaggy rug :)

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/liv~~giant~~~n~/1157372/winston
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline O.C.

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2017, 05:03:45 am »
he looks great Mikey and full of character  :)   
CARPE DIEM

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2017, 07:09:01 am »
he looks great Mikey and full of character  :)   
even got his  own facebook page ;)

https://www.facebook.com/winston.white.14811
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2017, 07:32:46 am »
Good for you Mike, and I bet it will be good for Winston too.

Brian

after about 15 or so years since my last dog I'm just going through the final phases of adopting this great big shaggy rug :)

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/liv~~giant~~~n~/1157372/winston
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2017, 08:24:42 am »
Conrad, that really sucks. They just dont stay around long enough, do they?

In our family, it includes 3 dogs.

The one that picked me is a 3.5lb Maltese.  No reason why she picked me.  I did not want her. Im way more of  a big dog sort -of person...uh, yea..right...anyway, from day one, she just thought I was it.

If Im around, she refuses to go through the dog door.  Why do that when old stupid will get up and open the door, right?  Often times, she refuses to walk to her night bed.  Why walk when old, stupid guy will carry her?   It can be 100 degrees , but if I ask her, "are you cold", she will shiver.

Last week, she had two seizures, and it scared us to death.  We got her to the emergency vet, and he put her on some medicine. Shes doing much better.

Our 18lb Shorkie is hell on wheels. She turned the house into her own, personal Supercross track. Shes small, but can jump and climb , like a panther. The vehicle she most resembles is a helicopter.

Our old Westie is just sort of here.  She likes to think shes in charge, but the Shorkie is way too smart.

In the photo, the shorkie is watching me to see if I have food. The squirt bottle if for the Shorkie.  Some sort for discipline thing.  We dont even bother to put the bottle away. Semi worthless as the dog is fast enough to dodge the water stream.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2017, 04:13:11 pm »
“Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.”
-Agnes Sligh Turnbull

As to your dog interacting with you, that sounds exactly right and like the training has taken extremely well. The only fault there might be that the roles were somehow reversed but hey, that is kinda' part of their charm too, isn't it?

My last one, Zack, a Shepherd / Lab mix, guarding the house.....

Conrad, that really sucks. They just dont stay around long enough, do they?

In our family, it includes 3 dogs.

The one that picked me is a 3.5lb Maltese.  No reason why she picked me.  I did not want her. Im way more of  a big dog sort -of person...uh, yea..right...anyway, from day one, she just thought I was it.

If Im around, she refuses to go through the dog door.  Why do that when old stupid will get up and open the door, right?  Often times, she refuses to walk to her night bed.  Why walk when old, stupid guy will carry her?   It can be 100 degrees , but if I ask her, "are you cold", she will shiver.

<snip>

Offline KawaRobby

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2017, 06:55:53 pm »

The replacement for my lost Siberian when she arrived.... Post a current pic of her once it uploads to photo bucket..
"A clear conscience is often the first indication of a failing memory" unknown.