Author Topic: I need another Key FOB?  (Read 45465 times)

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
I need another Key FOB?
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »
My 2008 came with only 1 key FOB and I want to add another before I loose the one I have and have to spend lots of money to replace the ECU. I have heard that a Key FOB from a 2010 or newer, the credit card type, will work for the 2008 and is much less expensive than buying a replacement 08' one. Can anybody confirm this for me? Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: I need another Key FOB?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:27:23 pm »
I can't confirm it, but I did read that the 2008/2009 ECU can be programmed to work with the credit card one.  Keep in mind that the much cheaper credit card version on the 2010/2011 is a *passive* fob, not active.  So it has no proximity function.  To use it, you have to hold it to the ignition, touching it and holding it there for a while.  It is NOT something you want want to try and use "typically" or "normally".

The stock *active* fob will also act as a passive fob if the battery in it dies.... so I don't think the older C14 will know/care.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »
I had a thread on the the pre crash site. A few members stated the credit card fob would replace the larger fob on the 2008+ models.

Cost is about $150 less  :)

Brent
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »
The credit card fob works fine with any year C14.  It doesn't come with a key, so you will need to get one for a spare.  Be aware that there is an A key and a B key.  Make sure you order the right one.  Then you will still need to have the key cut.  I am not aware of an aftermarket key that fits either fob, but maybe they are out there.

It isn't that big of a deal to use the cc fob, but it does take more effort that a regular key, much less KiPass.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »
The CC version runs from $30 to $40 depending on where you shop, plus whatever the dealer charges for programming -- which should be a 15 minute job, tops.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:48 pm »
The credit card fob works fine with any year C14.  It doesn't come with a key, so you will need to get one for a spare.  Be aware that there is an A key and a B key.  Make sure you order the right one.  Then you will still need to have the key cut.  I am not aware of an aftermarket key that fits either fob, but maybe they are out there.

You *can* order a blank [regular] key that should fit in the Fob.  I saw the part on a diagram at the dealer when discussing keys with them...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »
Yes, the 2010 and later 'credit card' fob is only about $35 as compared with approx. $200 for a full blown RF fob that came with the '08 and '09 models. It will cost you a few dollars to have a dealer code the bike to recongnize it but it will still cost far less than the more complete (RF) fobs. The later credit card fobs work with all years of C-14s once the bike is programmed to recognise them.

Brian

My 2008 came with only 1 key FOB and I want to add another before I loose the one I have and have to spend lots of money to replace the ECU. I have heard that a Key FOB from a 2010 or newer, the credit card type, will work for the 2008 and is much less expensive than buying a replacement 08' one. Can anybody confirm this for me? Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline bdhszy1

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:50:14 am »
  I just had the $35 credit card programed to my 08 last week, works fine and was charged 1/2 hour labor, which is about how long it took them. I too hated riding with only one FOB.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:52:49 am »
  I just had my 08 programmed to the $35 credit card last week, works fine and was charged 1/2 hour labor, which is about how long it took them. I too hated riding with only one FOB.

Fixed it fer ya.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:55 pm »
Fixed it fer ya.

Yeah, I was going to point that out too.  The keys/fobs just have a numeric code- there is nothing to program in them.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »
I know this is an old topic but my dealer says he had never heard of this. How do I get him the information he needs to order this in..
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:06 pm »
I know this is an old topic but my dealer says he had never heard of this. How do I get him the information he needs to order this in..

If your dealer is looking at the parts listings for '08/'09 he's not going to find it. He has to look at later years for the part number.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

zrotes

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:01:40 am »
And where can I buy?
card Fob key

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:57 am »
And where can I buy?
card Fob key

Your Kawi dealer.