Author Topic: I need another Key FOB?  (Read 49294 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I need another Key FOB?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »
Got the same problem over here... :rotflmao:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1560.0

The fob that you get has to have the unique id number with it.   Typically this is on the bag it come in.  It is not printed on the fob or in it that I'm aware of...

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:26 am »
we dealers are stupid and expensive

At least you admit it  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:56 pm »
I'd like to bump this conversation for some clarification.  I have washed my original fob one time too many, and now it is working then not working.  It seems to drain the battery pretty quickly (like in 3hrs).  I want to be clear about the credit card FOB, does it work the SAME as the original that came with my 08?  Like I can just get on the bike and ride?  I believe I saw a post where someone stated that you had to wave it around the ignition to get it to work.

Just would like some clarification,

Scott 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:06:17 am »
You have to hold it against the switch housing to start the bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 04:40:43 am »
You're not going to mention the secret incantation?
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 04:47:44 am »
You're not going to mention the secret incantation?

If he did then it wouldn't be secret any longer now would it?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 05:00:11 am »
I'd like to bump this conversation for some clarification.  I have washed my original fob one time too many, and now it is working then not working.  It seems to drain the battery pretty quickly (like in 3hrs).  I want to be clear about the credit card FOB, does it work the SAME as the original that came with my 08?  Like I can just get on the bike and ride?  I believe I saw a post where someone stated that you had to wave it around the ignition to get it to work.

Just would like some clarification,

Scott

The full sized fob works in two ways. One is the method that uses the fob's battery to send out a confirmation signal to the bike from a short distance after the stove knob is pressed. The other doesn't use the fob's battery (this is the method the smaller fobs use, they have no battery) and the fob must be placed in very close proximity to the top of the ignition boss.

There is also a difference in the way the bike is programmed to recognize these fobs. Since the full sized fob can give the bike the 'go ahead' to start in two ways (at a distance and placing it on the ignition boss in case of a dead fob battery) so the programming for the full sized fob has two segments. The smaller fob only has one segment that needs to be addressed.

There's a bit more to this but basically that's it. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 05:07:13 am »
If he did then it wouldn't be secret any longer now would it?
sshhh....nobody reads the owners manual.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 05:34:02 am »
sshhh....nobody reads the owners manual.

There's an owners manual?    ;)

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 07:58:16 am »
Thanks Conrad.  Is it possible to program my 08 for both?  I'm liking the idea of keeping my original fob in my jacket (instead of my pants pocket!), but would like to have the other type for maybe emergencies or that time when I don't wear the right jacket..... So I was thinking of purchasing BOTH!

Scott

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 10:19:01 am »
Thanks Conrad.  Is it possible to program my 08 for both?  I'm liking the idea of keeping my original fob in my jacket (instead of my pants pocket!), but would like to have the other type for maybe emergencies or that time when I don't wear the right jacket..... So I was thinking of purchasing BOTH!

Scott

Yes, C14s of all years can be programmed to recognize both types of fobs. Not all shops have the knowhow to do it right off the bat though. If you only have one fob right now you had better treat that thing like gold until you can get one more fob that works with your bike. If you lose the one fob that works you are going to be in for a BIG surprise. Get another fob ASAP or you're looking at around $700 or more to get your bike working again.

Offline SevenAce

• Left Lane Passing Only
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:14 am »
The FOB which you currently say drains its' battery and works on again/off again could still work as a passive FOB forever. I'd try it -

Whether you think you can or can't you're right!

Offline stlheadake

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 01:03:54 pm »
The FOB which you currently say drains its' battery and works on again/off again could still work as a passive FOB forever. I'd try it -

Just at the stealer this morning....287.50 for a new fob!!!  This is crazy!  It looks like I will be using this one for a while!  Why is it that I can find plenty of wrecked C14s for sale online, but never the fobs? Never mind...

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 06:41:00 am »
Just at the stealer this morning....287.50 for a new fob!!!  This is crazy!  It looks like I will be using this one for a while!  Why is it that I can find plenty of wrecked C14s for sale online, but never the fobs? Never mind...

Do you have just one fob? Just one? If so, and you lose that one you are going to be screwed! Buy one of the smaller passive only fobs for less than $40 online and get your bike programmed to recognize it right away. Perhaps you don't understand but if you lose the one working fob it is going to cost you well over $700 to get your bike working and there is no getting around it.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
Do you have just one fob? Just one? If so, and you lose that one you are going to be screwed! Buy one of the smaller passive only fobs for less than $40 online and get your bike programmed to recognize it right away. Perhaps you don't understand but if you lose the one working fob it is going to cost you well over $700 to get your bike working and there is no getting around it.
As in...all fobs lost = new ecu.  Get the cc fob and put it in your wallet, or let it ride in the tank glove box.