Author Topic: driving lights  (Read 3731 times)

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
driving lights
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »
So I got some driving lights to put on the concours (08), I have the lights mounted, cables somewhat ran....my question is, I am looking for just a plan old key 12v wire to tap into. What wire are most tapping into? Head light I assume?

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: driving lights
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Hopefully you are powering the driving lights through a relay.  You can tap into either the low or high beams for the switching  if you only want the driving lights on with one or the other.  You could tap into most any key-switched wire if you want them on all the time.  The accessory lead under the left panel would be one choice. 

Personally, I would recommend a separate switch so that you can flip them on or off as desired.  If you aren't running a relay, you need to re-think the whole thing or install the relay.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
Hopefully you are powering the driving lights through a relay.  You can tap into either the low or high beams for the switching  if you only want the driving lights on with one or the other.  You could tap into most any key-switched wire if you want them on all the time.  The accessory lead under the left panel would be one choice. 

Personally, I would recommend a separate switch so that you can flip them on or off as desired.  If you aren't running a relay, you need to re-think the whole thing or install the relay.

I think you might find everything you need in this thread:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.30

2010 C14 ABS

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
As it stands I have them powered straight to the battery with a switch. I would like to tap into a power line that is key activated so I don't forget and leave the lights on by mistake. Why would I need these on their own relay? Can't I just tape into the headlight relay?

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »
As it stands I have them powered straight to the battery with a switch. I would like to tap into a power line that is key activated so I don't forget and leave the lights on by mistake. Why would I need these on their own relay? Can't I just tape into the headlight relay?

Because there are rules with electricity (in this context):

* The first one is that a given size of wire can only carry a certain amount of power before it starts resisting and heating up.
* The second is that anything that goes to the battery MUST BE FUSED for safety.
* The third is that the fused circuit MUST MATCH [be no greater than the power carrying capacity of] the wire gauge and distance.
* The fourth is that a switch (like the ignition switch) can only carry X amount of power safely.

For all those reasons, it would be best to have a relay-driven, fused connection.  A pair of driving lights typically use 60 watts, that is 5 amps @ 12V, which is a significant amount of power.  Dumping that on an existing circuit not designed to handle 5 more amps is a mistake (and will cause blown fuses).  I don't know if the ignition switch/circuit can handle 5 more amps, either (which could cause a stuck or failed ignition switch and/or blown fuses there too).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
That is a bad idea in my opinion because you are likely to overload the original light circuit and open the fuse. If that happens, you will lose the stock headlights as well as the additional driving lights and that is quite likely to happen while driving at night.

You can use the headlight circuit to close a relay but nothing more really. The relay (power side) should be wired directly to the battery. As you have already done that, the additional wiring is fairly easy and you will end up with a robust circuit for both sets of lights.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »