Author Topic: Trailer Hitch?  (Read 10067 times)

Offline kawacop1642

Trailer Hitch?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
I'm sure this one has been posted before, but Does anyone make a hitch for the C-14? I have searched the web, but to no avail. During a bike trip in june I met a couple in Napa Ca. on a c14 from canada. The guy made his own hitch that looked pretty sturdy. I now wished I would have photo'd the set up.
  Anyway, some help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Trailer Hitch?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
I guy had one at a COG event I attended way up in the hills of KY. I can't remember the brand but its available. I'll look for info. He had a super-nice trailer behind the bike too.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
I thought that there was a thread a while back about a company in Australia making a hitch for our bikes?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
Classic Industries in Australia and Bushtec Trailers in the U.S.A. are the only 2 companies producing trailer hitches for the C14 that I am currently aware of.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
Classic Industries in Australia and Bushtec Trailers in the U.S.A. are the only 2 companies producing trailer hitches for the C14 that I am currently aware of.

^^^^^that is the name I couldn't think of
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline kawacop1642

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like both of these companies are "off their rocker" so to speak, with those prices. I can understand $200, maybe even $250, but $400 & $500 for a couple pieces of steel and some bolts. Thats just crazy :o. Heck, the one for my last Harley only cost $120. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I can come up with a build of my own.

Thanks again guys.

Mark

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like both of these companies are "off their rocker" so to speak, with those prices. I can understand $200, maybe even $250, but $400 & $500 for a couple pieces of steel and some bolts. Thats just crazy :o. Heck, the one for my last Harley only cost $120. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I can come up with a build of my own.

Thanks again guys.

Mark

They're not mass producing for our C14 crowd so yea, high price.

If you do tow, I'd be interested in pics and your fuel mileage at 65 and 85 MPH. 

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
Its the trailer prices that shocked the **** out of me. 
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:54:13 AM »
Its the trailer prices that shocked the **** out of me.

You'll need a separate trailer for that.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
I have the classic ind hitch on my c14, and have pulled 2 diffrent trailers

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »

How's about a pic or two of that hitch?

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Sure when i get on my laptop, dont have on my phone, i had pics on hete pre fourm crash

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »

What gas mileage you getting at HWY speeds?

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
I saw a drop of about 5 mpg but thats 2 up with the trailer

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Quote from: kawacop1642 link=topic=4802.msg55353#msg55353 date=1318i would keep looking.  885031

Thanks again guys.

Mark

Durn, that is quite a hitch, heh heh heh.  I would purchase one for something in the $200 - $300 range.  You are absolutely correct that they are  "off their rocker"  I expect to pay for the engineering, but... c'mon now.  I use one (Bushtec) on my Goldwing (wife  :) ) and we love it.  I would keep looking... matter-of-fact I think I will as the C-14 is MY machine.  Anyway, good luck.  (Murph, Phil, are you following this?  Might be some good money to be made here)
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
The hitches definitely are pricey, but is it common for the trailer itself to be in the 1500-4000 dollar price range?  Least thats what I saw on Bushtec's site.
Will

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Yes, trailers for motorcycles are fairly expensive.  You can homebuild them cheaper, but they usually look it and handle accordingly.  Bushtec has been around a while and builds nice trailers.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline trucker

• COG #8387
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »
I have the Bushtec hitch and Bushtec roadstar trailer Steve was talking about.  It pulls and handles great and I only seen about 2 mpg. loss while towing.

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
Heres a pic of my trailer untill my internet at home is up and running

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:40:05 AM »
I bought a Piggy Backer trailer for around 400 bucks.  Picked it up at their company in Easley, SC and towed it home.  I extended the tongue 11 inches, and it pulled great.  Took it on several trips to Ohio, Arkansas, and once to Niagra Falls, NY.  Haven't used it since I bought the C14 in June of 2010.  BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND A DECENT PRICE ON A SIMPLE HITCH!!!  (sorry).  They don't offer the model I have now, which had 8" wheels and a straight axle with leaf springs.  They still sell their "XL" model with 12" wheels and independent torsion bar suspension for under $1000.  Since I got mine, they even include a swivel hitch, something mine lacks and will need to be added before I put it behind the Kawi. 

In fact, if I ever find a good hitch for the bike, I'm thinking about re-modeling the trailer.  I think I'd like to eliminate the "cooler box" on the front, and remove the big square cargo box, and replace it with a longer,  slimmer, car top carrier from Yakima or Thule.  Might even cut down the width and pull the wheels in closer to make it more streamlined.  I'm sure when I get done, I'll have spent more than it would have cost me to buy a nice factory trailer, but mine would be mine!

Here is a small pic...
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!