Author Topic: Stupid is as stupid does  (Read 17635 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2020, 03:38:10 pm »

It's in the mail...LOL.

Did you send it with that stack of filled out mail in ballots you wanted remailed?
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2020, 03:42:02 pm »
Agreed- doing anything that encourages humans' natural <bad> pack behavior is always a bad idea IME. Not blaming COG and it is probably just a feature of the new software but allowing any degree of elevation to another always turns into a weapon, again IME.

I have never had a login on COG, nor looked at it much.  But I did just look...  This score being mentioned is just the number of "likes" posts get.  Typically, posts will also list WHO liked it.  Not all that uncommon on forums.  I can see both good and bad with allowing visible (to others) "likes" on postings, listing who liked it.  Even more issues if it also includes "dislikes."  I tend to not like public "liking" because it can be more of a tribe or mob-mentality.  But private liking (only you see the likes you placed on postings, and the total likes YOU gave to people) would be pretty safe in all situations.  It would help you identify like-minded or helpful people you might want to meet or whatnot.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2020, 06:09:07 pm »
Like all the forums that use this feature that I have seen, the new COG forum publicly shows the number of likes and who liked the post.

It might be even worse not having a 'dislike' button as a lack of likes could be construed as dislikes. As Marty said, it quickly becomes a weaponized tool used en mass to pound on 'the chosen one'.

Brian

I have never had a login on COG, nor looked at it much.  But I did just look...  This score being mentioned is just the number of "likes" posts get.  Typically, posts will also list WHO liked it.  Not all that uncommon on forums.  I can see both good and bad with allowing visible (to others) "likes" on postings, listing who liked it.  Even more issues if it also includes "dislikes."  I tend to not like public "liking" because it can be more of a tribe or mob-mentality.  But private liking (only you see the likes you placed on postings, and the total likes YOU gave to people) would be pretty safe in all situations.  It would help you identify like-minded or helpful people you might want to meet or whatnot.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2020, 06:37:18 pm »
I'm not fluent in Fakebook but it sounds similar to what I've heard about it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2020, 07:56:54 am »
Did you send it with that stack of filled out mail in ballots you wanted remailed?

Not that stupid... I hand carried our absentee ballot requests to the Registrar of my county.  When our ballots are sent out, I'll hand carry them to the registrar's office again.  I don't trust the postal service past my arm.

Your Gold Star on the other hand, was sent in the mail.  LOL.
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2020, 02:44:27 pm »
 :rotflmao:

PS...My gold star just showed up in the mail.  8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:05:28 pm by gPink »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2020, 05:20:03 pm »
Facetwit may have invented the 'like'- just one more nail in the coffin of humanity.   :-(

Brian

I'm not fluent in Fakebook but it sounds similar to what I've heard about it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com