Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671226 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3260 on: June 25, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
I have to admit I've spent a lot of time inside a lot of wrecks. BTW: if I do visit the Prinz Eugen, I do not plan to penetrate (easy boys) as it is upside down.

This is a picture I took from inside a wreck (the Heian Maru I believe) looking out through the hole made by the torpedo from an Avenger.

Just as an aside, wreck diving is typically fairly dangerous. Something like 80% of the experienced divers who die while diving are 'in' something when an accident occurs or emergency occurs. I make it a point to always stay outside of everything, no matter how interesting the inside may appear (Easy Boys!- talking about diving here and Easy again Boys!, water diving).

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3261 on: June 26, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
And now for something completely different:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/why-retailers-installing-blue-lights-223046256.html

Seems some large retailers have chosen to address our opioid problem by installing blue lights in their restrooms. A very interesting method of attack IMO; this does nothing in any way to address drug use but they claim it makes it harder to inject intravenous drugs because they are blue and therefore less visible under blue light. Ingenious if you ask me.

Of course this will not stop a truly dedicated opioid user because as we all know, 'real' men and women will just inject it under the tongue, under toenails, into the perineum (shiver me timbers on all of those!) but hey, it may address the 'Mary Jane Tinklepants' versions of mainlining opioid users.  ::) :o :yikes:

Real life has things no comic or fiction writer could even think of IME.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3262 on: June 26, 2018, 04:56:21 PM »
Meh ... they'll give their best shot (duh-duh, chiiiish (snare drum, cymbal)), inject anyway, miss, collapse and then we'll all get to pay for an ambulance and medical care.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3263 on: June 26, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »
Comments can be entertaining / astute:

"Strangely, we're also seeing a surge in flashlight and lantern sales at this same store."

"ATTENTION we have a BLUE LIGHT special in the bathroom."

"I'm curious how the effectiveness is determined. "Excuse me, we're doing a survey. Do you use IV drugs? Did the blue light in the bathroom make you decide not to inject today? Thanks for your participation!""

"They will just use the light on their phone."

"Couldn't they just find track marks from previous injections?"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3264 on: June 27, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »
But whatever happened to Francis Gary Powers, the man flying the U-2 over the Soviet Union, supposedly above the reach of any weapons available at that time (over 70,000 ft.) when he was shot down by a Soviet missile in 1960?

He was sentenced to 10 years in a Soviet prison but served less than two before he was released in a prisoner exchange. He then continued to work for the CIA until 1970, when he published a book that rubbed 'management' the wrong way and was terminated. Then an interesting turn; he became a helicopter pilot for a local news channel in Los Angeles reporting on traffic. It was while doing that job that his helicopter crashed after running out of fuel in 1977. He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery as an Air Force veteran.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3265 on: July 07, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
Rented a car to go to TN to do a job.  Got to the rental place and they 'upgraded' me to a new RAV4.   Didn't really like that as it would not get as good a gas mileage as the car I was supposed to get (Altima, Camry or something similar).   After driving it for a few hundred miles I realized that they hadn't fixed the seats and my back was killing me by the time I got to my destination.  I had previously owned a RAV4 for 11 years and it killed my back as well on long trips.

This RAV had radar in the front and lane awareness.  It also had a key.  I can't tell you how many times I went to unlock it by touching the door handle with the key in my pocket.   No vehichle I have I have uses a key anymore.  It's all fobs.  In fact at the Indian dealer a month or so back I went on a demo ride on a Scout and couldn't figure out how to start it.  They had to point out the key on the left side for me.....sigh.

Now to the advanced feature starting with the radar in the front.   Comes on with cruise control.  Not sure I liked it much.  It wanted way more following distance than I thought necessary and would slow the vehicle to match speeds with the slower one in front.  Couldn't get used to it.    I also had a car pull out in front of me.   I saw it, but just as I was reacting the car strongly applied the brakes to my 'WTF!'.  That was unnerving as well.

The lane awareness was interesting, seems I be wobbling a bit going down the road and if I didn't correct quickly enough the steering did a nudge all by itself in the opposite direction....  That happened a couple of times...and no, I wasn't drinking.  I found a button to turn that off but didn't see anything to turn the front radar off.  New fangled stuff....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3266 on: July 07, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
Rented a car to go to TN to do a job.  Got to the rental place and they 'upgraded' me to a new RAV4.   Didn't really like that as it would not get as good a gas mileage as the car I was supposed to get (Altima, Camry or something similar).   After driving it for a few hundred miles I realized that they hadn't fixed the seats and my back was killing me by the time I got to my destination.  I had previously owned a RAV4 for 11 years and it killed my back as well on long trips.

This RAV had radar in the front and lane awareness.  It also had a key.  I can't tell you how many times I went to unlock it by touching the door handle with the key in my pocket.   No vehichle I have I have uses a key anymore.  It's all fobs.  In fact at the Indian dealer a month or so back I went on a demo ride on a Scout and couldn't figure out how to start it.  They had to point out the key on the left side for me.....sigh.

Now to the advanced feature starting with the radar in the front.   Comes on with cruise control.  Not sure I liked it much.  It wanted way more following distance than I thought necessary and would slow the vehicle to match speeds with the slower one in front.  Couldn't get used to it.    I also had a car pull out in front of me.   I saw it, but just as I was reacting the car strongly applied the brakes to my 'WTF!'.  That was unnerving as well.

The lane awareness was interesting, seems I be wobbling a bit going down the road and if I didn't correct quickly enough the steering did a nudge all by itself in the opposite direction....  That happened a couple of times...and no, I wasn't drinking.  I found a button to turn that off but didn't see anything to turn the front radar off.  New fangled stuff....
All this new fangled stuff is making people worse drivers.  Cars that park themselves, warn you of stopped traffic ahead, or a vehicle occupying a lane next to you, etc. and etc. just makes people lazy.  Drivers stop using good defensive driving techniques and rely on technology to do it for them.  The result is a disconnect from the task at hand:  Paying attention.  I was so happy to be done with my career after witnessing so many drivers texting and crashing. 

Get off my lawn!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3267 on: July 07, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »

I have one of the first cars with "adaptive" cruise control.  I try it every couple of years and then remember why I HATE it and switch back to "normal" cruise control (no lasers, no adjustments, no auto-braking).  I simply can't deal to the car trying to adjust.  Most importantly, it "disengages" me just enough from driving that it then becomes dangerous because my mind wanders too far from what is going on.

Either drive FOR me COMPLETELY, or let me drive.  I don't like this inbetween crap.  I know I am not alone.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3268 on: July 08, 2018, 07:53:17 AM »
All this new fangled stuff is making people worse drivers.  Cars that park themselves, warn you of stopped traffic ahead, or a vehicle occupying a lane next to you, etc. and etc. just makes people lazy.  Drivers stop using good defensive driving techniques and rely on technology to do it for them.  The result is a disconnect from the task at hand:  Paying attention.  I was so happy to be done with my career after witnessing so many drivers texting and crashing. 

Get off my lawn!

For the bad and marginal drivers all this stuff is going to make them more dangerous on the roads. For the folks who are good and attentive drivers, I don't think that the new fangled doodads will change the way they drive much.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3269 on: July 08, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
Either drive FOR me COMPLETELY, or let me drive.  I don't like this inbetween crap.  I know I am not alone.

I agree, accept for cruise control. I want it to set and work the throttle for me right were I set it. I don't want it moving up or down to the next 5 mph increment and
I especially don't want it with radar slowing down to the same speed as the car in front of me.  I also grow tired of all the crap CC radar and bumper sensors setting off my radar detector.
Other than that, I agree with you 'max. --->  Kinda scary eh?  :o

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3270 on: July 08, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
I agree, accept for cruise control.

Yeah, I am fine with just normal cruise control.  It frees me from the tedium of having to constantly check and correct speed.  Yet I am still "engaged", perhaps even more so- I can spend that attention looking up more and planning for passes and other such stuff.

I think the line at which enough of the brain "disengages" dangerously from driving will vary greatly from person to person.  But I know my own limits- adaptive cruise control makes me TOO passive.  And although I might be OK with an *OPTIONAL* warning from lane departure detection or whatnot (full control to turn it on, off and what parameters), don't dare touch my steering or brakes....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #3271 on: July 08, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
Gives all the idiots more time to read and/or send their texts/emails and ignore what's happening around them as they are speeding down life's hiway. Getting in my way or just another irritation waiting to cause an accident. I'm beginning to think "self driving" vehicles may just be better for most than actually driving themselves.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3272 on: July 08, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
Gives all the idiots more time to read and/or send their texts/emails and ignore what's happening around them as they are speeding down life's hiway. Getting in my way or just another irritation waiting to cause an accident. I'm beginning to think "self driving" vehicles may just be better for most than actually driving themselves.
yeah,right!
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/21/595941015/police-in-arizona-release-dashcam-video-of-fatal-crash-involving-self-driving-ca

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3273 on: July 08, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
We are a long way away from "real" self-driving cars.  What they do now is nowhere near what is needed.  Highway driving is one thing- complex city driving is orders of magnitude more challenging.  They are coming, and will be here at some point.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3274 on: July 08, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
Well, as I was coming home in said vehicle a message came up on the front display wondering if I needed a rest.  How convenient as I was just pulling in to the rest area near Charlottesville.  I don't know what generates that message.  I'm thinking mileage at the moment.  That took me quite off guard as I'd already come to the same conclusion.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3275 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »
Forgive me, because I'm a musician. Specifically, a brass player.

Strength and power come from two sources. First, the muscles around the mouth, euphemistically called "chops" and second, air.

I have always practiced my instruments (I play euphonium, bass trombone, tuba, and tenor trombone) with the idea that strength is borne of chop strength, i.e., the muscles around the mouth.

I am reminded after today's practice session that that is indeed the case.  8)

(BTW, I'm really glad to be here for the bike I ride. I've learned a ton and it has nothing to do with chops.)  :rotflmao:
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3276 on: July 23, 2018, 07:18:58 AM »
Because of the dark and intense nature of the film Suicide Squad, director David Ayer hired an on-set therapist for the cast.

I would like to think that spending time around Margot Robbie dressed like that would be enough to distract me from all the "darkness". Just sayin'....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3277 on: July 23, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
I really liked that movie and have watched it multiple times..

On a sadder note, I've been reduced to drinking Cognac out of a wine glass.   Oh the pain!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3278 on: July 23, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »

On a sadder note, I've been reduced to drinking Cognac out of a wine glass.   Oh the pain!

July is a bit early to be dropping Christmas hints isn't it, Jim?  :rotflmao:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3279 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
And now for something completely different..... https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/disney-theme-parks-happiest-place-ashiest-place-earth-010652755.html

And the park employees call this 'situation' a "Code Grandma". Well, at least that is not as scary as, say, 'Clean-up on aisle six!'

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian