Author Topic: Kawasaki Gel Seat  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Vegas Rider

Kawasaki Gel Seat
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Hey Guy's,
     What is the consensus on Kawasaki's Gel Seat?  I can get one for$400.00 new in the box.  Is it worth it?  I also like the fact it is 30mm / 1" lower than stock and I will also get to keep my factory seat.  If you have had one did you like it?
Monty
2011 Atomic Silver Concours 14
2010 Titanium Honda Goldwing
2008 Atomic Silver ZX-14

Offline Gsun

Re: Kawasaki Gel Seat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
I liked mine for city riding, but it was too hard for long rides. Great for stop and go as you are lower and it helps a lot.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:25 AM »
I like mine a lot. It's a very firm seat though and I think that some guys don't like that. It also has more of a textured cover that keeps my butt planted where I want it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:54 AM »
For 400$ you're not far off of a non-heated, no backrest, Corbin. Not sure how you tip the scales, but if you're 180lbs+ (normal sized guy) you may really enjoy the Corbin seat. A few guys that are in the 150-170lbs range have said they liked the Seargant on the C-14, just from what I've read on this site. If you can pry yourself away from your bike for a couple of months, the Russell is supposed to be the best of all, just can't imagine doing that. Good luck on your search, and Go Irish!

Offline OPUS

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
Put 11k miles on mine so far and I still love it I have done some 750 mile days on it with sheep skin with no problem.  I am flat footed with the seat also 6'/ 32" inseam
200 LBS.  On a 2010 ABS.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
What is the consensus on Kawasaki's Gel Seat?  I can get one for$400.00 new in the box.  Is it worth it?  I also like the fact it is 30mm / 1" lower than stock and I will also get to keep my factory seat.

Based on my previous (extensive) research on the forums, the consensus seemed to be that Kawasaki's Gel Seat was too hard and not enough quality to justify the price.  If you are going to pay that much, most people would recommend a Sargent or Corbin seat.  I ended up buying a low height Sargent with heat and the storage pod.

Based on my previous EXPERIENCE with a gel seat (not a Kawasaki one), they can get VERY hot in the sun and do not let go of the heat.  And yet they get FREEZING cold in the colder weather (under a cover) and never seem to warm up.  And they do feel hard, although the idea is to help distribute weight.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Vegas Rider

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.   I am 5'-6" , 30" inseam an 165lbs.   I think the stock seat is okay around town but on longer trips it becomes a real pain and is too hard.      I will look into a Corbin and sergeant seat, because of what maxtog said about how hot and cold they can get.  The last thing I want is a seat that stays hot after sitting in the Las Vegas sun at over 110-115 degrees.  That would really burn my A$$.   
Monty
2011 Atomic Silver Concours 14
2010 Titanium Honda Goldwing
2008 Atomic Silver ZX-14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:01:46 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.   I am 5'-6" , 30" inseam an 165lbs.   I think the stock seat is okay around town but on longer trips it becomes a real pain and is too hard.      I will look into a Corbin and sergeant seat, because of what maxtog said about how hot and cold they can get.  The last thing I want is a seat that stays hot after sitting in the Las Vegas sun at over 110-115 degrees.  That would really burn my A$$.

You're 1" taller and 5 lbs heavier than I am, I have the same inseam. I agree about the gel seat getting hot in the sun, not sure that I agree that it retains the heat anymore than the stock seat though. In any case, I use a cover on my bike when it's baking outside in the sun. The cover has a reflective surface and keeps the bike lots cooler. Plus there's no fading from the sun.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kjk concours

Kawasaki concours 14 gel seat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »
Does anyone have one, and how do they like it. And how does the passenger like it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Kawasaki concours 14 gel seat
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »
I've heard from several members that they hated it, but your YMMV.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
I don't have one, but here is what I found:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=501.msg4570#msg4570

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,23071.msg83696.html#msg83696

Yep!  Search is your friend.  And here was my post in one of those threads:

Based on my previous (extensive) research on the forums, the consensus seemed to be that Kawasaki's Gel Seat was too hard and not enough quality to justify the price.  If you are going to pay that much, most people would recommend a Sargent or Corbin seat.  I ended up buying a low height Sargent with heat and the storage pod.

Based on my previous EXPERIENCE with a gel seat (not a Kawasaki one), they can get VERY hot in the sun and do not let go of the heat.  And yet they get FREEZING cold in the colder weather (under a cover) and never seem to warm up.  And they do feel hard, although the idea is to help distribute weight.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
Hmm, I must be the exception (I always knew that though).   ;)

I put about 8K miles on the stock seat, then switched to the Kawi Low Gel seat.  At first it was very hard (Naugahyde covered 2x12, I think was the description), but after 6K or 7K miles on it, I tried going back to stock, and hated the stock one.  I only lasted 3 days on it, but really tried to give it a chance.

Now the Low Gel still feels hard as a rock, but I guess I'm used to it.  I've done 11 hour days on this saddle and still felt like I was ready to go again the next day.  It's also quite grippy on the pants, so I don't slide around on it, which I like too.  I tried a Corbin Leather Gel seat, and I felt like a pinball, sliding between the tank and the seat back every time I changed the throttle.

I'm still thinking about pulling the cover off and making some minor tweaks to it though.  It doesn't help me with the reach to the ground, since the pan is the same width at the front as the stock one (same pan).  I'm 5'5" for reference, and almost always wear riding boots, which adds another 1/2".

If you are not familiar with riding on a Gel seat, you probably wont like it, at least at first.  If you are comfortable on Gel seats, you may like it.  It's actually made by Bagster, and looks really nice.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
It doesn't help me with the reach to the ground, since the pan is the same width at the front as the stock one (same pan).  I'm 5'5" for reference, and almost always wear riding boots, which adds another 1/2".
Yep, sometimes the width can actively prevent leg placement.  But I had more problem with my ZRX with that than on the Concours.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »
I've had the Kawi low gel seat since I bought my bike back in 5/09. I really like it a lot but it is a very firm ride. On short trips my wife is fine with it but on longer trips I put the stocker back on for her.

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 06:57:56 PM »
i picked up a used one and like it

Offline gnuse

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
I installed the Kaw gel seat the first week after my new C14 arrived last Fall.

It is very personal, but I have owned a number of BMW RT's with a lot of different seats, gel pads, sheep skins, etc. The Kawasaki gel seat is the BEST motorcycle seat I have ever experienced. Nice grip and hours of riding with no fatigue. I highly recommend it.
"God does not deduct from one's time on Earth, that which is spent in the air."

Offline gthomas15229

• 2011 C14 Black
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
I found a C14 seat on the European GTR1400 Accessory page, but it is not offered on the Kawasaki US Accessory page.
'06 C10 gone to salvage heaven
New ride 2011 C14 Black new left over

Offline gthomas15229

• 2011 C14 Black
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
I found a gel seat that is lower and narrower from the European Kawasaki GTR1400 Accessory page. It even has 'Kawasaki' embroidered into the driver's seat. It probably would be over 600 USD after the conversion and S&H.

Offline gthomas15229

• 2011 C14 Black
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Here is the website for those who do not want to search.
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Accessory/Details/340DCB93331?model=1400GTR&modelYear=2012
 ;)