Author Topic: Denali LED Driving Lights...  (Read 8524 times)

Offline RBX QB

Denali LED Driving Lights...
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:56:51 PM »
Yes, I tried a couple searches (just in case someone finds a thread that I couldn't).

Anyone tried these: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6158 (or the older D1)

I know many have talked about the Krista and smaller LED blocks, but these are conceptually perfect for me (price aside). Been eyeing these for a while now.

I'm looking for visibility, not light output... I don't do much, if any, night riding.

Let us know if you have any FHE.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Denali LED Driving Lights...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of money just to "be seen".

I just ordered a set of these in black : http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/172

I'll let you know what I think of them when I get them.  A co-worker bought a 3 LED flashlight based on the same Cree T6 LED, which is designed to use 2 or 3 Li-On cell batteries.  He only had 2 batteries, but said the thing was so bright, he thought with a magnifying glass, he could burn ants on the sidewalk (or if he just put it close enough, wouldn't need the magnifying glass).  He said all he could think about was 1) this thing should have the same warning label as LASERS, and 2) what would it be like with all 3 batteries!?!  Well, there was a third comment about something to do with "they finally invented the Light Saber..."

Now I'm really anxious.  :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »
If your looking for something that will help you be seen get a headlight modulator.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jonathan

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:43 AM »
If all you want is visibility you can get a set of driving lights at any auto parts store for under $100 that just throw light out.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
C1x... Can you confirm the diameter of those things? Says 55mm, which is about 2 1/8"... which works for me. And yes, the Denali is kind of ridiculously priced. Nice that is has a couple output settings, but still...

All of the small driving lights at the auto store are still too large. I found some the right size years ago, for my Ducati ($20 and still working), but they seem to be out of production now. I've been trying to find them (or something similar) since I bought the Connie in March. I've been looking at the compact PIAA lamps, but even they're too large in diameter.

As for modulators... I hate those things. Sorry Joe... just my opinion.

I'm a designer, so aesthetic and visibility are intertwined (some call this "being picky"). And I have a hard time committing to something sight unseen... I like to have my hands on parts before I see them, whenever possible. Not always possible, but when I fork out cash, I like to have a firm grasp of what will show up.

I appreciate the input.

2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of money just to "be seen".

I just ordered a set of these in black : http://24x7diy.com/product_info.php/products_id/172

I'll let you know what I think of them when I get them.  A co-worker bought a 3 LED flashlight based on the same Cree T6 LED, which is designed to use 2 or 3 Li-On cell batteries.  He only had 2 batteries, but said the thing was so bright, he thought with a magnifying glass, he could burn ants on the sidewalk (or if he just put it close enough, wouldn't need the magnifying glass).  He said all he could think about was 1) this thing should have the same warning label as LASERS, and 2) what would it be like with all 3 batteries!?!  Well, there was a third comment about something to do with "they finally invented the Light Saber..."

Now I'm really anxious.  :)

Could you mount these on the reflector brackets on either side of the front wheel?

Those on the Twisted Throttle site are just stupidly expensive!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »
Could you mount these on the reflector brackets on either side of the front wheel?...

I "could", but won't. They looked tacked on there. Again... this is just MY opinion. Tho, the ones C1x listed look like they could work, I just can't find much specifics on them yet. Not looking too hard right now, as I'm at work.

There's just enough room under the headlights to get something the size of the Denali in there without risking hitting the fender during suspension travel... Like I said before, I'm being picky. I know what I want, just having a hard time finding it.

I was hoping that someone had experience with the Denali. I missed the opportunity, last time Twisted Throttle was at a local bike shop, to get my hands on a unit for review. They'll be back in Seattle in December at the big Bike show.

There's a local company called VisionX that has similar products... Can probably drive there and look, too. A little less costly than the Denali.

I appreciate the feedback. Eventually the ideas will spark a solution for me (or possibly more insanity).
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »
C1x... Can you confirm the diameter of those things? Says 55mm, which is about 2 1/8"... which works for me. And yes, the Denali is kind of ridiculously priced. Nice that is has a couple output settings, but still...

Will do.  I don't expect to receive them for another week or two, but I'll be posting info once I get my hands on them.  I don't like buying without seeing things either, but after staring at the web page for over a month, I had a moment of weakness.  That, and I noticed they had free shipping and took Paypal.

I played with the flashlight my co-worker bought, and it's certainly bright enough to work for a driving light.  Playing with it in the parking lot at work after dark, it throws plenty of light pretty far out there with only 2 batteries.  Looks brighter than the stock high beam of the bike.

I'm expecting to either have a way to control the brightness, or make one.  I think it has 3 wires coming out of it (Low/High/Gnd).  I'll tie them in to be controlled by the existing high/low circuit of the bike.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
Could you mount these on the reflector brackets on either side of the front wheel?

I'm sure you could, and I'll check that when I get them.  I will need to see how solid their bracket is too.  Others have mounted LED lights down there, so it should be an option.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
Check http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.0...

I'd followed that thread for a while, but they weren't quite fulfilling what I wanted. I'll have to go back thru it, as it's longer than when I last read it.

Interesting sidenote for the Mods::: The Denali was mentioned a few times in that thread, but it didn't pop when I searched. Any ideas why?
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
Rbx

Yes the denali's are pricey but nothing like the clear waters. I too am sizing these denali2 lights up. I like the plug n play aspect and the dimmable light features and not just a hi-lo beam.  I like my safety $300-$400 seems justifiable in the long run. I used to use piaa 1100xx lights on my gold wing, but they eat bulbs like candy...if you run them all the time and not just at night.  Another option is Rigid Industries the "dually 2's", take a peek, let me know what you decide, I haven't made up my mind yet.

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »
... nothing like the clear waters. ...

The thing I REALLY like about those Clearwaters is that you can get amber lenses. That's what appeals to me about the Denali, and even the VisionX units... I can see how simply they disassemble to add amber to the mix. I have amber driving lamps on the Ducati, and even tho they are just below the headlamp, the color shift between the white and amber makes the bike more visible from the front (MY opinion).

The Dually's are nice in that they also have the amber/beam/spot options... but too large for my mounting location.

If I can get up to the VisionX office and get my hands on their Solstice Prime series (http://www.visionxusa.com/LED-Solstice_Prime_Series/c1_106/index.html), I'll post my opinions here. Similar pricing and options to the Denali, but a bit cheaper, and easier to purchase single lamps without all the switches and wiring (since I already have the wiring and relays prepped on my bike). I think somewhere in the other thread, linked by Jalthar, someone mentioned that VisionX may produce the Denali... Wouldn't surprise me since they are near identical, and both now have the hi/lo option and round housing. I've seen the older VisionX... with the square housing... and the sucker does have excellent output for the size. But the think was mounted to a board, so I couldn't drag it out to the showroom to hold it up to the Connie there. But I'm sure the new round one will work better.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »
Took an actual look at the rigid industries dually lights.  Im convinced that the dually 2s will be too bright for use on the roads.  Im going to buy the duallys...they're 1300 lumens each, use a minuscule amount of juice and are unbelievably bright. They come in wide or spot light versions.  I think the spot aka driving light is the best bet.  They max out at 65 foot wide, or 32.5 feet each side... which will be good for checking roadside ditches for animals late at night or early in the morning.

They don't have a dimmable feature, but for $199 USD they will allow me to spend less, and be seen more, even if i blind the odd driver lol. They come. With. Mounting bracket and wiring harness and on/off switch.

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »
Check these youtube Video's

http://youtu.be/RElB3cst4Z8

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RElB3cst4Z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/a9YPAWInWac

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a9YPAWInWac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »

I'm sure you could, and I'll check that when I get them.  I will need to see how solid their bracket is too.  Others have mounted LED lights down there, so it should be an option.

Wally, I received the new lights today, and after looking at them, I don't think mounting them to the reflector bracket would work without incorporating some way to space them out past the fork tube.  If you simply bolted the bracket on with the reflector bolt, half the light would be pointing into the back of the fork tube.  With a different fender bolt, something with a stud or threaded hole in it, you might be able to mount them to the bolts on the side of the front fender.

Look here for more information about them, with pictures.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.msg62370#msg62370   8)

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »

Will do.  I don't expect to receive them for another week or two, but I'll be posting info once I get my hands on them.  I don't like buying without seeing things either, but after staring at the web page for over a month, I had a moment of weakness.  That, and I noticed they had free shipping and took Paypal.

I played with the flashlight my co-worker bought, and it's certainly bright enough to work for a driving light.  Playing with it in the parking lot at work after dark, it throws plenty of light pretty far out there with only 2 batteries.  Looks brighter than the stock high beam of the bike.

I'm expecting to either have a way to control the brightness, or make one.  I think it has 3 wires coming out of it (Low/High/Gnd).  I'll tie them in to be controlled by the existing high/low circuit of the bike.

RBX QB,  The size is as advertised.  I posted some pics of them here : http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.msg62370#msg62370