Author Topic: +2 or +4 degree Ignition Rotors, Anybody bolted one on? What's Your results?  (Read 17417 times)

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
 Actually I've found a Programmable Box at what I consider a very reasonable price. Which I may pursue. About $100 + Freight.

Programmable High Energy Ignition System
 The system can be used simply to intercept and modify the factory ignition timing or turned into a stand alone ignition system with remapped timing, electronic coil control and anti-knock sensing. The unit will trigger from a range of sources including points, Hall effect sensors, optical sensors, or the 5 volt signal from the car's ECU. Timing can be mapped against engine load and RPM and adjusted in step as small as 0.5°.
Features:
> Timing retard & advance over a wide range
> Suitable for single coil systems
> Dwell adjustment
> Single or dual mapping ranges
> Two de-bounce settings
> Max & min RPM adjustment
> Suits 1 to 12 cylinder four stroke engines and 1 to 6 cylinder two stroke engines
> Optional knock sensing & correction

But first the Stats have to be gathered as to what mileage I'm getting now. That might take quite a while with winter coming.
 Your Smackdown at the shack sounds like fun, but I can't make that. I've never even been to that part of the USA.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
Motor, I hesitate to tell you what works best, but the last 3 pages tried.

I had a V/H 5' advance and SISF talked me out of it WHEN I installed his exhaust cam instead. I can tell you Connie went from mildly zippy to noticably more TORQUEY!!!  This $40 is the best bang for your buck, then the jet kit if you want more input to how you are running (@ altitude).

Don't spend all your time (and $$$) guessing what might work, listen to those that have MADE it work....and enjoy the ride! ;)

'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering

More cylinder pressure is a good thing, especially up here.  If I reset the ZG cam timing, and want to re-jet, etc, I have that capability.  But unlike my younger years when Gas was cheap, I don't want to drop the mileage, I want to increase it, if possible.

1) why would re-jetting cause in loss of fuel economy if it's properly engineered? I think most guys running my kits get better economy, particularly at elevation

2) what altitude are you at? I can see your point on increasing the timing at high altitude, but I think getting the jetting done first is the more appropriate way to go. As you have stock jetting, the richness will cover up some overly advanced timing and suppress detonation. Get the jetting right then try to dial in some timing, that would be my approach. you may find the economy increases and performance you're looking for. Stock connies are jetted rich at sea level, so you know what happens at altitude... Steve

Offline Motor Head

Yes the Jetting is being addressed. Comes off choke pretty quick even at 40F. 6200" is the house, and all the fun happens up hill from here, to 10K. So 7500+ mostly.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Yes the Jetting is being addressed. Comes off choke pretty quick even at 40F. 6200" is the house, and all the fun happens up hill from here, to 10K. So 7500+ mostly.

I'm interested too.  I live at 5000' but the good roads by my house go up to 7,000'.  I barely had to use the choke on my A8L even when I lived at 1100'.

My current jetting is stock Kalifornia--135 main, 38 pilot.  FM says I can go down to 122/35.  Bike will also be deKalifornicated and the CA emissions equipment either thrown in the trash where it belongs or given away for shipping cost.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Motor Head

AZBiker,
 I posted some info in your thread on Hi-Altitude Jetting.
 Once I get some more miles on this bike, which is hard in the weather coming, I'll post up some info. Maybe good, or maybe not, but I'll add changes I make.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline connie_rider

MH you sound pretty knowledgable. Your inputs ino the discussions will be interesting.

I've looked into the advance plate. Was always told that it was not worthwhile. Your box sounds interesting!

Now, getting off the original subject again,,,,,,,,,,

I'm a flatlander. (Houston) Made 2 trips to Colorado with my 86. The first trip it was waay down on power. Second trip I (guessed on jett sizes)  and leaned out the Jetting. It made a big difference. Plus my mileage was the best I  had ever gotten.
BUT, when I returned home it was BAAAD!  Had to rejett richer.

Bottom line, be careful that you don't go too lean if you plan to ride other area's.

NOTE: My lean jetting "might" have worked at home if I had known about Steves original 2 min mod.
BUT NO ONE ever considered restricting the intake until he came up with the idea....
(you might be able to jett lean for Hi Altitude and add restricter when you go down to the flatlands....)

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:36:16 am by connie_rider »

Offline Motor Head

connie_rider,
Yes like a lot of things the Jetting for a certain situation, then it changing, will put you well out of those Tuned parameters.
There are Altitude Compensators on Many Old Carburetor Cars, Snow Mobiles etc.  This a possibility, but I have not tried this on this bike/ CVK carb. Like you say, if you set it for say 7K' and go down hill, probably 2K and below, you will be to lean. A quick change main jet plug in the Float bowl, and an Adjustable Needle are two things to consider.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline connie_rider

You mentioned a High Altitude Jetting discussion. Should we move this to that discussion? If so, just say so?

Until then. My guess is that you will have to find jetting that is the best for both worlds. I clearly jetted too lean when I did mine. Plus rejetting is a heck of a lot of work to do if you change altitudes a lot.
Soo,,,, my thought was (you might be able to jett lean for Hi Altitude and add restricter when you go down to the flatlands....)

Is this a viable solution?
 By the way, Steve join in with your thoughts.
    Have you already built a 2 min kit for altitude and do you recommend changing restriction if you use that kit at lower altuitudes?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Motor Head

connie_rider,
 The fellow who is AZBiker has a High Altitude thread. Maybe this could go there? he would maybe benefit from some of the input from everyone. I made 1 post there already.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline connie_rider

Agreed.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
You mentioned a High Altitude Jetting discussion. Should we move this to that discussion? If so, just say so?

Until then. My guess is that you will have to find jetting that is the best for both worlds. I clearly jetted too lean when I did mine. Plus rejetting is a heck of a lot of work to do if you change altitudes a lot.
Soo,,,, my thought was (you might be able to jett lean for Hi Altitude and add restricter when you go down to the flatlands....)

Is this a viable solution?
 By the way, Steve join in with your thoughts.
    Have you already built a 2 min kit for altitude and do you recommend changing restriction if you use that kit at lower altuitudes?

Ride safe, Ted

Heres where my adjustable intake plate would come in handy in conjunction with Steve's 2 min jetting.
If you knew where to set the air intake at high altitude and where to set it for lower ones, you could
mark the plate with a sharpie and simply move it to the desired location needed for the specific altitude.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Heres where my adjustable intake plate would come in handy in conjunction with Steve's 2 min jetting.
If you knew where to set the air intake at high altitude and where to set it for lower ones, you could
mark the plate with a sharpie and simply move it to the desired location needed for the specific altitude.

Love your 4-1 pipe.  I used to have an old-school yosh can on my GPz750 lo these many years ago.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Motor Head

Just did the 4 degree addition to the timing rotor/ curve. Set to 14 Initial and 39 total. Sounds good, now a couple of rides before any thing else gets changed.
 First documented 5 Gallons= 46mpg.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Motor Head

I did 1 ride of about 150mi the other day. So far the +4 is good. I could feel the difference in how much easier the motor pulls throughout the RPM range. While I haven't used enough gas to refuel, the gauge seems to have stayed a lot closer to Full than before. But that's just a guess. I did several WOT runs up through the 1,2,3 gears and all the way to redline it pulls stronger.
 One of these winter days I'll degree the cams, and with that I will do a Positive Stop, to find true TDC to see if the Factory case/ Rotor marks were indeed correct.  Weather permitting I'll get some more rides, and mileage figures.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD