Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 102632 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2012, 05:25:43 am »
Hey Chet!

Did you see the 'recall' on diesel Jettas?

Seems folks need some extra stickers on their cars to keep them from putting gas in their diesels.

VW is sending these yellow things out.

I didn't get mine but I wish they would hurry the heck up! Where are my stickers, I COULD PUT GASOLINE IN MY TANK AT ANY MOMENT!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2012, 08:06:48 am »
I'm embarrassed to say my brother rented a Peugeot in France and it was so quiet we had no idea it was a diesel. Didn't sound anything like my old diesel rabbit. No smell like my old diesel rabbit. The gas cap had diesel in slightly raised letters black on black. I need reading glasses and without them I couldn't see the letters. I put gas in it, about 1/2 tank. It still ran but in about 15 miles it started running rough. We drove it another 50 miles or so to a Hertz place (still running no problem but missing some) and they exchanged it no problem.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:58 am »
I'm embarrassed to say my brother rented a Peugeot in France and it was so quiet we had no idea it was a diesel. Didn't sound anything like my old diesel rabbit. No smell like my old diesel rabbit. The gas cap had diesel in slightly raised letters black on black. I need reading glasses and without them I couldn't see the letters. I put gas in it, about 1/2 tank. It still ran but in about 15 miles it started running rough. We drove it another 50 miles or so to a Hertz place (still running no problem but missing some) and they exchanged it no problem.

How long ago was that? There have been plenty of horror stories of folks putting gas into their diesel Jettas and the cars certainly didn't make it 50 miles, let alone 15. This can be a VERY VERY expensive mistake in these cars. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2012, 08:22:06 am »
It was this last May. The car was a 2012. Must have been enough diesel still in the tank to make it work. We drove it from Mont Saint Michel to Rennes airport, almost 100 km. That was the closest Hertz.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2012, 08:26:47 am »
Even if the engine survived without damage, the cost of emptying the tank and refilling in France would have been a some bucks. But as it is we actually got some free diesel out of it from Hertz.

I wonder what they do with the diesel gas mixture. That's what we used in the Forest Service for torches for back fires and prescribed burns.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:39 am »
It was this last May. The car was a 2012. Must have been enough diesel still in the tank to make it work. We drove it from Mont Saint Michel to Rennes airport, almost 100 km. That was the closest Hertz.

I'm surprised that the Hertz people didn't go over the use of diesel in that car with you before you two dove off with it. Filling a diesel Jetta with gas can lead to a bill in the area of $6k (stealer repair price).

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2012, 08:55:09 am »
I'm surprised that the Hertz people didn't go over the use of diesel in that car with you before you two dove off with it. Filling a diesel Jetta with gas can lead to a bill in the area of $6k (stealer repair price).

They said nothing about diesel. Nothing in any of the paper work. They didn't seem to care about it when we brought it in.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »
Hey Chet!

Did you see the 'recall' on diesel Jettas?

Seems folks need some extra stickers on their cars to keep them from putting gas in their diesels.

VW is sending these yellow things out.

I didn't get mine but I wish they would hurry the heck up! Where are my stickers, I COULD PUT GASOLINE IN MY TANK AT ANY MOMENT!
Nice!  Only cages I have left burn diesel.  Heck, the wife even managed to use the GREEN hose :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2012, 08:50:15 am »
I clayed my Sportwagen for the first time yesterday after a good wash. After the clay I waxed her up. Damn, that Reflex Silver sure does shines up NICE!     8)

My arms and shoulders are sore today, that's a lot like work you know?    :o
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:47:05 am by Conrad »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2012, 09:24:16 am »
No good can come from this, methinks.
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2012, 09:46:39 am »
No good can come from this, methinks.

I beg to differ Jim. 80% chance of rain today and 70% chance for tomorrow. We're WAY behind on the rain (although you couldn't tell by my ride home from work on Thurs when I got soaked to the bone, only 20% chance that day) so I did my part, short of doing a rain dance and no one wants to see me dance...    :o

Seinfeld - The Elaine Dance

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2012, 11:02:37 am »
 :)
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2012, 08:25:09 am »
Short update.  Just got the 20,000 (20,800 actual) mile service done.  Still loving the car.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2012, 08:31:47 am »
Short update.  Just got the 20,000 (20,800 actual) mile service done.  Still loving the car.

And the dealer used the correct 507 spec oil?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2012, 08:48:56 am »
No idea.  SWMBO dropped it of and picked it up.  It has become her car :(