Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 102418 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »
I had a 1978 Rabbit Diesel. Absolutely no power. You could pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal on the highway for cruise control. Max speed about 80. But the good news was it would get 57 mpg in town or flat out on the highway and any combination. I took the spare tire out of the well in the back and put an aftermarket 10 gal fuel tank in that well. With a total of 20 gal I had over 1000 mile range.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 03:39:46 pm »
I had a 1978 Rabbit Diesel. Absolutely no power. You could pretty much put a brick on the gas pedal on the highway for cruise control. Max speed about 80. But the good news was it would get 57 mpg in town or flat out on the highway and any combination. I took the spare tire out of the well in the back and put an aftermarket 10 gal fuel tank in that well. With a total of 20 gal I had over 1000 mile range.

I hope that you never got a flat?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 03:42:42 pm »
I hope that you never got a flat?

I still carried the spare, just had to lay it in the back instead of in the nice well under the back deck.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »
So.....  I ended up with the slower colored black one!  I will have it home tomorow.  As loaded as they come.  Got the extended warranty and get this 0% financing.  I also got the xzilon coating and window tint.  I figure if the HPFP grenades it'l happen before 100000 miles.  At 0% I don't know how I could go wrong.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »
So.....  I ended up with the slower colored black one!  I will have it home tomorow.  As loaded as they come.  Got the extended warranty and get this 0% financing.  I also got the xzilon coating and window tint.  I figure if the HPFP grenades it'l happen before 100000 miles.  At 0% I don't know how I could go wrong.

CONGRATS!

And a few pics would be nice too  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 07:22:01 pm »
CONGRATS!

And a few pics would be nice too  ;D
Will do, I am going to need to slow down my F stop tho 8)

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:22 pm »
Enjoy it! Surprising how much power you feel in it. Not too many people can appreciate TDIs.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
Enjoy it! Surprising how much power you feel in it. Not too many people Americans can appreciate TDIs.

There, fixed it for ya. 

After living in Germany I saw the benefits of turbo diesel passenger cars that the US has ignored for the most part.  My neighbor got 50+ mpg in his Skoda and it was average, there are quite a few small TDI cars that could get 55-60 mpg.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »
There, fixed it for ya. 

After living in Germany I saw the benefits of turbo diesel passenger cars that the US has ignored for the most part.  My neighbor got 50+ mpg in his Skoda and it was average, there are quite a few small TDI cars that could get 55-60 mpg.
Yep, back in '94 we rented a diesel Peugeot, non turboed, ran from Grobbendonk Belgium (3 tours, 2 in Germany, 1 in Belgium) to Frankfurt and back, same tank of diesel, average speed for the round trip-120mph.  It was silver BTW.  Back in the mid 70s my mother owned a little Golf Rabbit, it averaged 50 mpg, little 4 speed that just wouldnt die.  My old 86 F250 is diesel, absolute beast, gets almost as good a mileage as my (well, not anymore) 5 cylinder Colorado.  So, I converted along time ago, just never could find one I could afford/was willing to buy.  Heck, if I could find a reasonable conversion for my KLR I'd be all over it.  When I really retire, I'll have an F350 turboed dually and a nice 5th wheel toyhauler big enough to haul the 14, KLR, YZ, and the wifes quad.  Lots of folk around the nation I'd like to meet and twisties I'd like to ride.
Someday, soon I hope, America will really wake up and see the virtues of a well built diesel car, it seems the younger gen. is all caught up in horse power, most of them cant even spell torque, much less understand the value.
The last time I was this pumped was when I got my 14 brand spanking new, if this car provides half as many smiles it'll be a keeper for sure ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 05:04:03 am »
Chet,

You about have me sold on the TDI. I was going to wait till next year to buy but now I'm not so sure. What's the deal on the 0%? They had one on the lot that you liked eh?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:13 am »
Someday, soon I hope, America will really wake up and see the virtues of a well built diesel car,

This seems to be getting closer to reality... Chevy is releasing the Cruze with a TDI engine for 2013.  http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/22/diesel-chevrolet-cruze-coming-to-u-s-in-2013/
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 08:33:22 am »
Chet,

You about have me sold on the TDI. I was going to wait till next year to buy but now I'm not so sure. What's the deal on the 0%? They had one on the lot that you liked eh?
The 0% was something new, the level depends on credit score-mine is a lowly 796, wife squeeked out a 832.  We/she really wanted a gray (WINK) one, I really liked the white/gold metalic for visibility.  They had 2 nav package TDIs left on the lot, red and black, I couldnt see myself living in the Prius lane, so I opted for the slightly quicker black.  I started the entire process through the internet, compared prices without a phone call, exchanged ideas, and I made the first call.  The lady we worked with was really a good sales lady, she fully understands the rules of reciprocity, so it was kinda fun swapping debts so to speak.  I also told her up front I was looking to buy around January and that I prefered to swap emails, that we would contact her when we were ready.  I'l post up tonight how the ride drive home is, I won't have my speed reduction factor with me 8)

I bet the cruze will far out sell the volt, but, I wonder how many will remember the bailout.  I know I will never buy a new Chevy, besides, I really am a fan of Ford.  I have the memory of an elephant, I still wont buy fuel from an Exxon station.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 08:49:59 am »

I was at the VW site this morn and built my TDI sportwagen. I didn't see anything about factory tint or xzilon coating (what this?) or extended warranty. What's the cost of those 'extras'? 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 09:01:42 am »
I was at the VW site this morn and built my TDI sportwagen. I didn't see anything about factory tint or xzilon coating (what this?) or extended warranty. What's the cost of those 'extras'?
The coating is a dealer option, 'sposed to never need waxing, kinda like a shiny teflon for cars, the extended warranty will extend out to 100000 miles, bumper to bumper, they threw in the tint for free, well, no additional charge.  All said and done the extras were a tad over $2k, cheap piece of mind and at the 0% rate, I felt I couldnt go wrong.  I also opted for the 5 year vs the 6 year, I'll do 20k miles no sweat, so why pay for the 6th year when it wouldnt matter.  I would caution ya, don't take one for a test drive unless you're ready to buy, it really is a nice ride.  Did I mention all the hotties who were in for services?  Very well decorated waiting area ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:18 am »
The coating is a dealer option, 'sposed to never need waxing, kinda like a shiny teflon for cars, the extended warranty will extend out to 100000 miles, bumper to bumper, they threw in the tint for free, well, no additional charge.  All said and done the extras were a tad over $2k, cheap piece of mind and at the 0% rate, I felt I couldnt go wrong.  I also opted for the 5 year vs the 6 year, I'll do 20k miles no sweat, so why pay for the 6th year when it wouldnt matter.  I would caution ya, don't take one for a test drive unless you're ready to buy, it really is a nice ride.  Did I mention all the hotties who were in for services?  Very well decorated waiting area ;D

Tint would be nice, ext warranty I'll get but any dealer applied coatings, of any kind, I'll pass on.