Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 102559 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »
I'm about thisclose to pulling the trigger on a '12 JSW TDI DSG w/sunroof & navigation. I just got off the phone with a dealer in Chicago. They have one coming from the port and it's exactly what I want. He'll sell it to me for $500 UNDER invoice. I can't go this weekend but I'll be taking a drive to Chicago next weekend and taking a test drive of one they have on the lot. If I like it, I'll be signing the papers then and waiting for my new car.

BTW, I got the fastest color. Silverdammit!
Outstanding!!  You wont have to tint your windows out of shame ;) 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2011, 04:40:07 am »
Hey Chet,

I wanted to ask you about that extended warranty you bought for your Jetta. Is that a VW thing or some 3rd party? I've been looking for info on this but can't seem to find it. I forgot to ask my salesman about it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2011, 10:15:46 am »
Hey Chet,

I wanted to ask you about that extended warranty you bought for your Jetta. Is that a VW thing or some 3rd party? I've been looking for info on this but can't seem to find it. I forgot to ask my salesman about it.
I'll need to look, but I'm pretty sure it's through VW.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:23 am »
I'm full of questions, sorry.    :P

With the keyless entry/push button start, how is the warming of the glowplugs handled? On my truck, you turn the key to on and when the glowplug light turns off it's safe to start.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2011, 11:02:24 am »
What I have found the smoothest for me is as I get in I touch the button, then seat belt, foot on brake and push button again, starts really quick.  If I buckle up and the start it took a coupla seconds before she cranked over, I'd guess it was the glow plugs warming up.  If you forget to put your foot on the brake pushing the button a second time shuts everything off.  I do know the glow plugs are a heck of a lot quicker then my F250.  We are leaving today for our property in E WA, 2 passes to travel through so I will see how well the traction control works, as well as see how good the mileage will be, I will do as much hyper mileage as I can.  I'll check on that ext. warranty as soon as I can.  And BTW, keep them questions coming, aint no sweat off my brow :)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2011, 11:24:25 am »
Hey Chet,

http://web.vw.com/cms/vehicle-protection/landing-page/
It appears it is a plan through Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »
http://web.vw.com/cms/vehicle-protection/landing-page/
It appears it is a plan through Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc.

So it's a 3rd party warranty endorsed by VW? When I asked my salesman about it he said that once I speak with the finance person at the dealership that I would have all my questions answered. That made me a lil nervous.  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »
What I have found the smoothest for me is as I get in I touch the button, then seat belt, foot on brake and push button again, starts really quick.  If I buckle up and the start it took a coupla seconds before she cranked over, I'd guess it was the glow plugs warming up.  If you forget to put your foot on the brake pushing the button a second time shuts everything off.  I do know the glow plugs are a heck of a lot quicker then my F250.  We are leaving today for our property in E WA, 2 passes to travel through so I will see how well the traction control works, as well as see how good the mileage will be, I will do as much hyper mileage as I can.  I'll check on that ext. warranty as soon as I can.  And BTW, keep them questions coming, aint no sweat off my brow :)

I thought it a lil strange that VW doesn't offer an engine heater on the TDI. My truck came with a heater and back when I used it more in the cold months I connected up a timer and had the heater turned on a couple of hours before I needed the truck. It may have been overkill since the truck was in a garage though.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
I thought it a lil strange that VW doesn't offer an engine heater on the TDI. My truck came with a heater and back when I used it more in the cold months I connected up a timer and had the heater turned on a couple of hours before I needed the truck. It may have been overkill since the truck was in a garage though.

Here ya go. 

http://www.frostheater.com/frostheater.htm
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »
Here ya go. 

http://www.frostheater.com/frostheater.htm

Thanks Jeremy! How did you come up with that? I'm all over it, as soon as I sign the papers I'm going to order that heater.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:46 pm »
Chet,

Way back in this thread Boomer mentioned looking into the decoking cost for the TDI. I had no idea what that was, I think that I do now though.

Check this out.

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#j

Avoiding the Need for Intake Manifold Cleaning - Recalibrating the EGR System - this vehicle is equipped with a CCV (crankcase vent) system and an EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) system. Oily fumes from the CCV system can combine with carbon particles from the EGR system to form a black sticky tar in the intake system. This eventually starts restricting the amount of airflow into the engine, resulting in gradual power loss as the vehicle ages and the intake clogging becomes worse. In rare cases a MIL ("check engine" light) may be tripped, with an intake manifold pressure control code set, but normally this does not happen and no codes are set. Operating conditions, fuel quality, oil quality, driving habits, and general condition of the engine all have some effect on how long the intake system survives before clogging up. It can be prevented and this recalibration is highly recommended for all TDI owners.
A VW specific scan tool such as VAG-COM is required for this procedure. With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 3. Give the accelerator pedal a quick "blip" to ensure that the EGR remains turned on for the next minute while you perform the following steps. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows approximately 250 +/- 20 mg/stroke of air intake volume. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) If all is well, enter 33768 as the new adaptation value, and select "test". Note that the displayed air intake volume changes, usually to about 370 mg/stroke. The specification limit is 370 mg/stroke, so if you want to remain within OEM shop manual specifications for emission control reasons, you might have to enter a number slightly smaller than 33768. (If you don't care about road-legal NOx emission limits then leave it at 33768. [Depending on the usage cycle, NOx at this setting can be increased by as much as 40%]) If all is well and you have a setting that you are happy with which results in an intake air volume of 370 mg/stroke or just a hair less, enter "save". Now your intake manifold either will never clog, or will take so long that the engine will wear out first.

Note for '96 Passat and possibly other older ECU variations: The adaptation numbers are in a different range, and you won't be able to get feedback on what you are doing on the same screen. The EGR adaptation number for a '96 Passat with the original "BK" ECU is 188 rather than 33768 and you'll have to go back to "measuring blocks" group 3 to see the effect before "saving" the new setting.
As for warranty, no one has mentioned any problems nor should there be. This adjustment is also completely reversible should one be concerned.
Most provinces and states that do emissions testing on diesels, just check opacity, so this will not be a factor when testing.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 04:39:51 pm »
Thanks Jeremy! How did you come up with that? I'm all over it, as soon as I sign the papers I'm going to order that heater.

I found it by doing a search for "TDI engine heater" through google.  Then I got on a TDI forum where several members had used them with satisfactory results.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »

You do realize that you can't farkle two toys well.  One will suffer and we don't want that to be the bike do we?
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:52 am »
I found it by doing a search for "TDI engine heater" through google.  Then I got on a TDI forum where several members had used them with satisfactory results.

Ah, you Googled it. I thought that maybe you had some experience with that heater. Thanks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2011, 06:17:00 am »
You do realize that you can't farkle two toys well.  One will suffer and we don't want that to be the bike do we?

You're right Jim, I won't let Connie suffer! My wallet will suffer too much if I try farkling both anyways. 

All I need is that heater for the Jetta anyways, right?

"And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need."