Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 102451 times)

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2011, 01:55:28 am »
Diesel was not taxed as high as petrol in Europe so it florished . If in the USA you paying over $10 per gallon for petrol and diesel was 30% cheaper diesel engines would have been everywhere just like Europe.

I was looking at the VW range in Australia and we get a few different model that you do not get and we do not get some that you get . But we get SCREWED  on price and I do mean SCREWED

Passat 125TDI Highline Sedan 6 Spd DSG
$48,962.50*
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/passat/Pricing.html

USA priced $26000
http://www.vw.com/portal/en/configurator#10110/11002/50

It's not all tax most is PROFIT for VW

Offline Conrad

« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2011, 07:04:11 am »
Gm's experiment in diesels in the mid 70's

I'm not following, was that a bad motor or something?

I have a 6.6l Duramax in my Silverado, along with an Allison transmission, and that combo is great! My truck has a full sized bed and 4 doors, it's a BFT for sure and I get nearly 20mpg on the highway. When I'm pulling the 5th wheel I get around 12mpg, unless I'm dealing with a headwind then it can drop to as low as 8mpg. The fuel economy that I get pulling is better than some get without a trailer attached.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2011, 02:24:17 pm »
That was an experiment in gas motor to diesel I think.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »
GM screwed up in the 70's with diesel same as they are screwing up today with batteries (Volt car).  A unionized company, what can one expect?

Anyway, HOW GM screwed up back in the day is they tried to convert their gas junk engines to diesel. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:04 pm »
I'd be a lot poorer if it wasn't for GM and the folks that love them.....VBG.

I had 3 of the 350 big blocks that nobody wanted.....until someone figured out that you could pull the diesel and put in a 350....big block only.

From boat anchors to gold overnight.

Had a 79 diesel rabbit that the DPO had put larger tires onto in the hope of getting even better fuel economy.It couldn't even get out of it's own way until I switched the tires back to OE sizing. Then it was a beast with 50 hp.....if it would have had AC I probably would have kept it a lot longer.

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2011, 05:11:14 am »
GM  just dose not get it ! the Unions and Government do not understand that they cannot meet the sales levels they keep revising down for the VOLT . GM management has lost the plot for the last 30 plus years .  Poor quality cars ,bad service ,bad treatment of customer , dealers overcharging for service ,just stupid marketing of some models around the world you name it they got it wrong EXCEPT for getting money from the Government .

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2011, 08:21:35 pm »
I'm not following, was that a bad motor or something?

I have a 6.6l Duramax in my Silverado, along with an Allison transmission, and that combo is great! My truck has a full sized bed and 4 doors, it's a BFT for sure and I get nearly 20mpg on the highway. When I'm pulling the 5th wheel I get around 12mpg, unless I'm dealing with a headwind then it can drop to as low as 8mpg. The fuel economy that I get pulling is better than some get without a trailer attached.
The big engines in the BFT's were always fine, I think it was more the brief foray in to 4 cylinder diesels that gave everyone the bad impression.
My Dub (an '80 Caddy) came stock with a naturally aspirated 1.5l diesel and a 4 speed. Most of that era (in the smaller sizes mind) were similarly underpowered. Best money I ever spent on that truck was the 5 speed, so now I'm up around 45MPG and can still do highway speed! ;)
'02 C-10

Offline Conrad

« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2011, 05:06:02 am »
The dealer tells me that my Jetta was put on a transport truck, along with 13 more cars that are Chicago bound, on 12/8. My car still isn't here as of yesterday! How can it take THAT long to get here from Houston?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:47 am »
At last! My Jetta was delivered yesterday.  ;D

She's all ready for me to pick up and I'll be doing that today.

Gonna take the train in to Chicago, my salesman is gonna pick me up at the train station. At least I won't have to deal with the damn traffic on the way in.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:22 am »
[Bad German accent] Have fun with your new SportsVagon ya.

I see lots of hypermiling in your future.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2011, 06:11:28 am »
Zign zee papers olt man.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »
Zign zee papers olt man.

He can't, all of his fingers have been broken...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »
Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Who will be the first to join the 600 mile on a tank of fuel club?  My best has been 575, I still had an 8th of a tank left, I have never run out of fuel on anything driven or ridden, I'm kinda paranoid that way 8)

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2011, 03:01:57 pm »
Conrad have a great time with your new VW  wish I could get one at US prices ,I just do not like being screwed

SOP - do not run out of fuel in a diesel ! 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2011, 03:15:24 pm »
Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Who will be the first to join the 600 mile on a tank of fuel club?  My best has been 575, I still had an 8th of a tank left, I have never run out of fuel on anything driven or ridden, I'm kinda paranoid that way 8)

Did you get out of the car speaking Espanol like in the commercial?   ;D

2012 Passat Commercial: Vámonos
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.