Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 102665 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:57 pm »
We rode down to Clearwater Beach today(250mi round trip, back roads) and got about 42mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..

I made a slight adjustment to the above to show what wifey and I did today. ;)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:03 pm »
I'm with you on that...wish I could say that I rode out to the mountains.  Could only do 15 miles yesterday.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2012, 08:32:10 pm »
Steve J.,

Teressa and i thought we saw you go by on the way to Clearwater Beach and said "nahhhhhh couldn't have been them they may have at least called"!   (j/k)  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »
I drove out to the mountains today in my Prius and got about 52mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..
If ya think a dead fob battery is bad ;)  How much is it to have them (Prius) batteries replaced? 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2012, 03:59:42 am »
About $1500 these days.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2012, 04:44:07 am »
I drove out to the mountains today in my Prius and got about 52mpg.  Haven't spent any time waxing or washing it unless you count that rainstorm we had about a week ago..

You like that Prius Jim? Is it fun to drive? Is it peppy?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:48 am »
You like that Prius Jim? Is it fun to drive? Is it peppy?    ;)

235k + miles...I would say yes, I do like it.  It's peppy if you stomp it with the batteries charged.  Not charged, as in going up a steep mountain for a bit and getting close to the top....not so much.  Ahhh but that long downhill glide charges the batteries back up again and I'm good to go.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2012, 05:11:08 am »
I didn't know that you had that many miles on her Jim, what year is it?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41:18 am »
2005 bought in Nov 2004.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2012, 06:00:07 am »
I didn't know that you had that many miles on her Jim, what year is it?

Lots of frequent "smiter" miles. 

;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:29 am »
 :)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »
I'm at 1500 miles already, I will say I noticed an improvement on my return trip mpg wise.  I did read up on the trailer, I think I may have the car fit with a hitch and find or buil a MC specific trailer so I can haul either the KLR or YZ, I'm getting ready to be certified as a dirt bike instructor so I don't want to leave either bike at the property, I may make the trailer big enough for 2 bikes.  Jim, would that count as a farkle?

I went to the Audi / Volkswagen / Porsche dealer tonight before work and test drove the Audi 3. I am sooo impressed with the performance of the TDI,
and the build of the Audi, but the roof line is just a little low for me.. So I sat in a Jetta, same problem. Sat in a Passat, wow! I fit just fine, and it was loaded,
so I asked what the tow rating is, and it is zero.. Not recommended for the Passat or the Jetta or the Audi 3. So, they put great torquey engines in these
autos, and you can't even tow a m/c trailer with it? I am bummed, but after looking under the rear, I realized that the frame rails that a hitch would normally
bolt up to are not there..No place to bolt a hitch anywhere. So, it looks like I'm down to the Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Outback 3.6r. Checked out
the '12 Honda CRV, but I just don't trust that 4 banger gas to pull a trailer uphill..
Good luck gents with your newly found fuel misers.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2012, 10:24:56 pm »
I went to the Audi / Volkswagen / Porsche dealer tonight before work and test drove the Audi 3. I am sooo impressed with the performance of the TDI,
and the build of the Audi, but the roof line is just a little low for me.. So I sat in a Jetta, same problem. Sat in a Passat, wow! I fit just fine, and it was loaded,
so I asked what the tow rating is, and it is zero.. Not recommended for the Passat or the Jetta or the Audi 3. So, they put great torquey engines in these
autos, and you can't even tow a m/c trailer with it? I am bummed, but after looking under the rear, I realized that the frame rails that a hitch would normally
bolt up to are not there..No place to bolt a hitch anywhere. So, it looks like I'm down to the Toyota Rav4, and the Subaru Outback 3.6r. Checked out
the '12 Honda CRV, but I just don't trust that 4 banger gas to pull a trailer uphill..

To bad VW isn't putting the TDI in the Tiguan (at least in the US).

Sounds like you want Japanese (or German), but what about the Ford Edge?  30 mpg with the 2.0 ecoboost is pretty hard to beat in a decent looking small SUV/crossover.  It also has a 3500 lb tow capacity.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »
Hitch kits are available for the Jetta, I'm having one installed next month, it will be used to pull a three rail MC trailer.  I'll also get her chipped for the two passes I wil pass through.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:45 am »

I know nothing of the A3 but the Jettas have a tow rating of 2k and 1k, gasser and TDI respectively. The TDIs can certainly tow more than they are ratted for but I think that VW is covering themselves because of the emissions stuff on the TDI, the DPF mainly.

The build quality on the Jetta is top notch!

I drove the Jetta in a snow storm yesterday for the first time and it did well. The traction control works great, as does the ABS.    :o