Author Topic: Fuzeblock and wiring question  (Read 6067 times)

Offline Smiffer

Fuzeblock and wiring question
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »
I planned on mounting a fuzeblock just like Steve http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3434.msg39664#msg39664 . I need to connect my Gerbing and zumo and was going to connect to the accessory lead up front so when the bike is off no power goes to the Zumo. My question is can I connect a battery tender lead to the fuzeblock? I tried hardwiring my Gerbing and the battery tender pigtail right to the battery but there just isn't enough room in there to have everything hooked up (due to the fuses on each lead) and get the battery cover screwed back together. Does this sound like a good solution?
2010 C14

Offline SimonSaysDie

Re: Fuzeblock and wiring question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
The Fuzeblock has a switched and non-switched position for each connection wired to it.  I have my Fuzeblock connection to accessory ports (Powerlet type for GPS/phone/heated gear etc.) using fuse positions on the switched side so they go on and off with the bike.  Then I have a connection that has the fuse on the non-switched side so it's powered all the time that I can use for a battery tender or whatever.  Other than the Fuzeblock I don't have anything directly connected to the battery.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
I would not attach a charging cable to the block.  I just don't think that is a good idea.  I ran my battery tender lead from the battery, out the back of the battery box ( this requires taking the gas tank off or at least lifting it).  Then I ran it out the side of the bike.  Might be a better solution for you.
T.S.R.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
I would not attach a charging cable to the block.  I just don't think that is a good idea. ...

Out of curiosity, why?

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Just seems like a bad idea to charge the battery through the ectra wiring/fuse block.  Granted the battery tender charges at something like 1.25 amps but I just wouldn't feel confortable running through all of that extra wiring and such.  It may very well work like a charm.  I just wouldn't be confortable with it.
T.S.R.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »
Just seems like a bad idea to charge the battery through the ectra wiring/fuse block.  Granted the battery tender charges at something like 1.25 amps but I just wouldn't feel confortable running through all of that extra wiring and such.  It may very well work like a charm.  I just wouldn't be confortable with it.

Before I installed my tender lead I used my fuse block to trickle charge with no ill effects.  I did use 10 gauge wire from the battery to fuse block.  I even felt the wire after several hours to feel if it was getting hot and it was cool to the touch.  But you are correct about feeling comfortable, I installed the tender lead the other day to make everything "right".
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
The Fuzeblock has a switched and non-switched position for each connection wired to it.  I have my Fuzeblock connection to accessory ports (Powerlet type for GPS/phone/heated gear etc.) using fuse positions on the switched side so they go on and off with the bike.  Then I have a connection that has the fuse on the non-switched side so it's powered all the time that I can use for a battery tender or whatever.  Other than the Fuzeblock I don't have anything directly connected to the battery.

+1:  same setup for me. many switched and one non switched for battery tender.
Will

Offline stewart

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
All my power runs through the Fuzeblock firect from battery and switched via the rear accessory lead.

Except the tender lead which comes off the Fuzeblock, using the non-switched side.

Not sure why is would be an issue, using appropriate gauge wire, fuse etc there is no reason this would have a problem.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Ok the only problem i see with using the fuze block for power is the distance it would be from the battery, but assuming you are using the correct size wire this should not be a problem. Heck battery tender sells a longer lead then the one you get in the box. And that would be no difrent than running it into the fuzebox. Just make sure you find a good ground. I ran 10 ga from both the + and - of the battery the + to a fuzeblock and a - to a small terminal strip next to it. That way i always have a good place for -

Offline stewart

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
So here's a twist. I just received a 12 Amp inline noise filter. My plan was to run this between the battery and fuzeblock. I power the zumo, starcom1, bluetooth module and sometimes phone from it.

But with the battery tender also hanging off the fuzeblock, I don't think that will work. So I now have to move the tender lead.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
I have always ran my Battery Tender wire through the Fuzeblock.  There is no electrical reason not to.  ;)
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline accbiker

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
All my power runs through the Fuzeblock firect from battery and switched via the rear accessory lead.

Except the tender lead which comes off the Fuzeblock, using the non-switched side.

Not sure why is would be an issue, using appropriate gauge wire, fuse etc there is no reason this would have a problem.

I have a related question.  I plan on setting up mine the same way.  However, if you use the accessory lead for the switched portion, aren't you limited to 5 amps for what you hook up the fuzeblock?  I would think that if you pull let's say 10 amps through the switched portion of the fuzeblock you are going to run into a fuse problem on the bike itself.  Or does fuzeblock only uses the switched portion to turn on those circuits and you are still the current directly from the battery through the fuzeblock's main 30 amp circuit?  Does this make sense?

-David
Athens, GA

Offline stewart

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
I have a related question.  I plan on setting up mine the same way.  However, if you use the accessory lead for the switched portion, aren't you limited to 5 amps for what you hook up the fuzeblock?  I would think that if you pull let's say 10 amps through the switched portion of the fuzeblock you are going to run into a fuse problem on the bike itself.  Or does fuzeblock only uses the switched portion to turn on those circuits and you are still the current directly from the battery through the fuzeblock's main 30 amp circuit?  Does this make sense?

-David
Athens, GA

The question does make sense, if the fuzeblock output was being powered by the 5 amp accessory lead, but its not.  You only use the accessory lead to drive the relay in the fuzeblock which then controls the switched output power. I run a separate 12v line direct from the battery which supplies the power with a 25amp fuse. The fuzeblock then outputs this power with via separate fuses to each device either switched or not.

Does that clear it up?
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »
That's exactly how I have mine setup as well. 

The question does make sense, if the fuzeblock output was being powered by the 5 amp accessory lead, but its not.  You only use the accessory lead to drive the relay in the fuzeblock which then controls the switched output power. I run a separate 12v line direct from the battery which supplies the power with a 25amp fuse. The fuzeblock then outputs this power with via separate fuses to each device either switched or not.

Does that clear it up?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline accbiker

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »

Does that clear it up?

Stewart:

Yes it does and I expected that it was just using the accessory lead to operate the relay for the control of the switched outputs.  Thanks.  Now if only Christmas can get here so I can open up the present and get to work.  :-)

-David
Athens, GA