Author Topic: Tiny Harbor Frieght air compressor  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Tiny Harbor Frieght air compressor
« on: January 30, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
I know some here have picked up these Harbor Freight compressors and stripped off the plastic to make a tiny compressor to keep on their bikes.

Just wondering, since the gauge is basically useless (0~300psi without much resolution) has anyone removed the gauge and plugged the port to make the whole assembly even more compact?  I just got one and stripped it down.  ($4.99 with coupon!) 

I always have a tire gauge (or two) on my bike anyway, and don't see much use in this gauge other than a really rough idea of the pressure.  Figure it would not only make it smaller, but give one less part that is likely to break.

Although, now thinking about it as I type, I guess another good idea would be to replace it with a 0~50 psi gauge.  Can't see myself using this thing to inflate anything that would need higher pressure than that.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline mlf73

Re: Tiny Harbor Frieght air compressor
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »
I had one of those for a while and the gauge was useless as you say.  The needle just keeps bouncing around as the compressor jogs around on the ground as it's running.  I can't remember if I chunked it or if it's buried in the trunk of one of the cars somewhere.  Mine never did work very well at all.  It always took forever to add just a handful of PSI to a tire.  If yours is as slow as mine, I'd just take the gauge off and use a tire gauge to check PSI if you are trying to save as much space as possible.  I never stripped mine down though because it would fit under my seat back when I carried it.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline westkyguy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »
 I carry one of those also stripped down. I have used it a few times and been damn glad to have it! The gauge works on mine, at least to get a rough idea of whether you have ten pounds or thirty. I see no reason you couldn't replace it with a Schrader valve and check it with your digital gauge while it is pumping.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »
I use a $25 Campbell Hausfeld inflator from wallyworld. Have had to use it 3 times now, twice on my buddies bike and just a couple of weeks ago on my C14. Works great! No guage, maybe 7x5x2". Stays in the left bag with my rain gear, tools and tire plugs. Takes about 5 min to inflate the rear tire.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
I had one of those for a while and the gauge was useless as you say.  The needle just keeps bouncing around as the compressor jogs around on the ground as it's running.
I was going to put a lanyard and a clip on it like Aerostitch does on their $47 version of this compressor.  (For the extra $42, you get some extra wiring choices and a plastic shield over the gears)

I think I'm going to go with losing the gauge entirely.  Just remove it and plug the hole.  Add a lanyard and clip.  Put it in a little bag and throw it in the trunk.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
Ii mixed up a little batch of JB Weld and filled the hole where that gauge was. Been working fine for the last two riding seasons. I use my compressor at least ones a week. Nice little machine. Just remember not to wrap your fingers around the gear. If you know what I mean?  ;-)
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »
I toyed with the idea of dual purposing an air horn compressor by using a tee and a valve. Simply carry a length of hose with a quick connect end on it, flip the valve and hold the horn button to inflate a tire. Anyone know if the compressor from an air horn is up to the task? Anyone ever try it?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:52 AM »
Ii mixed up a little batch of JB Weld and filled the hole where that gauge was. Been working fine for the last two riding seasons. I use my compressor at least ones a week. Nice little machine. Just remember not to wrap your fingers around the gear. If you know what I mean?  ;-)
Yeah, the gears look like they could do a bit of damage.  I'm keeping my eyes open for something I can attach as a guard. 

I toyed with the idea of dual purposing an air horn compressor by using a tee and a valve. Simply carry a length of hose with a quick connect end on it, flip the valve and hold the horn button to inflate a tire. Anyone know if the compressor from an air horn is up to the task? Anyone ever try it?
Probably not.  The "compressors" for air horns like that are more blowers than compressors.  (No pistons, just a fan that creates some pressure)  They move a good volume of air, but not (I don't think) at a useable pressure.  If you know anything about how a turbo- or super-charger works, think along those lines.  Whereas a compressor for tire inflation (or air tools) uses a piston.

It might be enough to get you off the road if the alternative was a completely empty tire, but I really don't think you'd be able to get 30~40psi out of it. 

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:03:25 AM »
 There is a good one sold by "Slime". Its about the size of a paperback book. Wally World has them for about $10. I carry one one I ride, and one in my glove-box. Its a "Top-up" compressor. So if you had some big tires on a 4X4, it would either take forever or burn up. But it is really good for smaller tires, and I use it for the Air adjustments on the suspension.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline Tele130

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »
Yeah, the gears look like they could do a bit of damage.  I'm keeping my eyes open for something I can attach as a guard. 

I was thinking about using the "Cap" of a spray can.......moddified of course ;D.  Just an idea.

Doug Colton

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 03:52:05 PM »
I was thinking about using the "Cap" of a spray can.......moddified of course ;D.  Just an idea.
That sounds like about the right size and shape.  Thanks.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
There is a good one sold by "Slime". Its about the size of a paperback book. Wally World has them for about $10. I carry one one I ride, and one in my glove-box. Its a "Top-up" compressor.

This.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
This.
Yes.

Thoughts on air horns. A person could probably dual purpose an air horn compressor to inflate an air matress maybe. It would save hauling that extra blower with, just need a small length of hose. Anyone with air horns care to give it a go?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
There is a good one sold by "Slime". Its about the size of a paperback book. Wally World has them for about $10. I carry one one I ride, and one in my glove-box. Its a "Top-up" compressor. So if you had some big tires on a 4X4, it would either take forever or burn up. But it is really good for smaller tires, and I use it for the Air adjustments on the suspension.
I have one of these and it is amazing. Fills a bike tire quickly and is not bad on a car tire. Compact. I thought it would burn upeasy but so far so good. I will have to try harder!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline booger

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
Mine didn't last long enough to air up my rear tire. ???

Offline Tele130

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
Mine didn't last long enough to air up my rear tire. ???

Sounds like the typical (Stereotype) Chinese stuff............One good one to three bad ones. :loco: ;D

I picked up mine from Wally-World.  Took it apart to adapt it to fit in a "Fanny pack" that I carry in the saddle bag.  It holds Two Plug tools, 25 plugs.....(never know who else my need one ;D), Tire pressure gauge, Compressor and a pack of gum..................when all else fails  :o

Doug Colton