Author Topic: Anybody taken a set of stock mufflers apart?  (Read 6761 times)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Anybody taken a set of stock mufflers apart?
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
One of the projects I've got going is shortening a set of factory mufflers--got a nice scratched up pair from Bob's Cycle in Phoenix just for that purpose.  I figure they will ease access to the rear axle, weigh a little less, sound better, and retain the EPA compliance script just in case Johnny Law decides to look.  And I like the look of stubby cans.

I've drilled out all 8 rivets.

Before I start banging on it, is there anything else I have to do to separate the skin from the muffler baffles?

The way I've got it visualized is removing the rivets, taking the skin off of the baffles, shortening the baffles and the skin and then riveting it all back together.  Amirite?

I'll take some pics and put 'em up here for future reference.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline connie_rider

Re: Anybody taken a set of stock mufflers apart?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
JIm Snyder cut some apart so that he could see the 2 halves. Has photo's.

Contact him.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
Thanks!!
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »
when you see the innerds, you may be sorry for drilling the rivets. The insides are not what you may think of as Highly / easily modifiable.  Hopefully the pics get posted before you damage the cans attempting disassembly.
I believe Elvin also has pictures somewhere, as well as Jimmie Miller (Millerized).
simplest mod for the effort is still the Baffle-ectomy.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I have some and they are probably the same pictures - I didn't take them.

Edit-  I think these are bafflecomy mufflers because it looks like it is now a straight shot thru the main baffle.  Maybe a hole saw was used, not sharpened rebar.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:42:16 PM by RFH87_Connie »
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »
The cans were already pretty rashed up--no way I would use pristine cans for this.

So it looks like the finish line is going to be a pair of stubby, hollow cans.  Maybe throw in a short baffle.

Step 1 is going to be separating the muffler part from the midpipe.  From the looks of those pictures the rivets should be the only thing holding the assembly together at that point.  I'm also going to try and save the main baffle.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
Please see my edited note above.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline boatnut

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »
could somebody forward the pictures to me. Thanks. aaes@shaw.ca
Ride hard, Grin lots!!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
could somebody forward the pictures to me. Thanks. aaes@shaw.ca

I sent them to you.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
I have some and they are probably the same pictures - I didn't take them.

Edit-  I think these are bafflecomy mufflers because it looks like it is now a straight shot thru the main baffle.  Maybe a hole saw was used, not sharpened rebar.

Yep those are the pictures I took. I still have the two halves in my scrap pile.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
Those in the know, could you please confirm that if I hit it hard enough with my 3# deadblow and yell enough expletives at it, that the midpipe part will separate from the muffler part once the rivets are removed?

Thanks!
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »
Those in the know, could you please confirm that if I hit it hard enough with my 3# deadblow and yell enough expletives at it, that the midpipe part will separate from the muffler part once the rivets are removed?

Thanks!

I don't know about that but if I point and cuss at the Deckhands here on board ship they will confess to $hit they thought I'd never find out about.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Learned something tonight.  Know what the rivets on the end of the muffler by the midpipe hold on?

That little collar.  Nothing else.   ::)

So next step is going to be finding someone with a chop saw to cut them to the desired length.  Then I'll remove the cap from the part I cut off and get some cheap baffles, since the pipes will be so short I might be able to use just a single baffle.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »
Jim Snyder sent me the attached note. He added baffles to a muffler he was quitening down.

Hope this helps.

Ride safe, Ted

Well the baffle surprisingly enough came from JC Whitney. Its a 2 stroke silencer baffle. Here is the link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-2-cycle-silencer/p2006238.jcwx?filterid=c14672u0j3

I installed it inside the mufflers and secured it with sheet meatl screws. That Muzzy muffler was way too
loud before the modification, now it has a very nice low tone. 

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »
AZ - expect it to be an exercise in frustration. These things are built like a sealed up automotive miffler; not like a straight pipe muffler that can be repacked. I tried to get inside my zx9 muffler; it has the same construction. cut it open, and you're basically going to destroy it and probably play h*ll trying to put it back together. there's multiple levels of metal sandwiched and welded together internally. UGH - Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
AZ - expect it to be an exercise in frustration. These things are built like a sealed up automotive miffler; not like a straight pipe muffler that can be repacked. I tried to get inside my zx9 muffler; it has the same construction. cut it open, and you're basically going to destroy it and probably play h*ll trying to put it back together. there's multiple levels of metal sandwiched and welded together internally. UGH - Steve

I kinda eluded / hinted to that, but some folks will torture themselves...heheheheheh

Learned something tonight.  Know what the rivets on the end of the muffler by the midpipe hold on?

That little collar.  Nothing else.   ::)

So next step is going to be finding someone with a chop saw to cut them to the desired length.  Then I'll remove the cap from the part I cut off and get some cheap baffles, since the pipes will be so short I might be able to use just a single baffle.

he needs to understand that the individual sections are all welded together and that he will virtually destroy the thing before he gets it disassembled.... 8)

they'll end up in the rubbish..... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
Mebbe not....
Ya'll are the proof that saying "it won't work", isn't always right.

He might figure something out that others/we haven't tried.
For instance, he's planning to use a Chopsaw.... I never though of that. Did you?

One of the things we all  love is for someone to tell us it isn't possible.
Then we do/try it anyway. (Even when we do things that aren't logically worrth the effort).

So, I say,,, AZ,, don't give up yet. GOFORIT.......

Try the Chopsaw and see what you can figure out.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
Remember the good ol' days when we just bafflectomized the mufflers and called it good. Now there are crazy people
cutting up pipes and mufflers and building 4 into 1 exhaust systems. Oh wait I told off on myself.
Here is what happens when you get the exhaust sickness !!!
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:22:22 PM »
Next time I'm back home in Phoenix, I'm gonna run by my friend Mont's shop, I'm sure he's got a chopsaw.  I don't think I'm going to be able to keep a hacksaw normal to the axis of the can.

And maybe I will utterly fail.  Who knows?  The pipes I got are pretty rough, and I picked them up cheap so it's not like I'm wrecking a set of good pipes. 

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red