Author Topic: Onboard computer display mod  (Read 33751 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Onboard computer display mod
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:56 am »
Wow! I have a 2010 so I don't need this mod but what a great write up! Kudos!  :hail:

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »
I did a search for a switch for this mod , for me have to be small to fit in the  little project box that i have attached to the bottom of the left switch housing for the auxiliary LED driving lights and also it have to be water proof, did not found any, so i have to use my fabrication skills and make my own switch that is water proof and low profile
Here are some pictures that i have with my cel phone camera, later i will post more pictures taken with a better camera and explanation of the fabrication, the toggle switch in the side is for the lights and the one in front is for the menu change
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:36:16 pm by gildaguz »
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 05:22:10 am »
Is it possible to install the 10-11 grip housing. That way we could get the OEM switch.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 06:20:33 am »
Is it possible to install the 10-11 grip housing. That way we could get the OEM switch.
i did search for a used one on EBAY but can't get it,  I thing it should work
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:58:10 am »

I'll let someone with a 2010+ confirm, but doesn't that grip housing also have buttons for the traction control and ABS settings?  Not sure it would work cleanly on an '08-09.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:17 am »
I like Bud's approach of mounting the switch in the original switch housing and I found suitable switches at RS, although not labeled water proof. But a question comes up as RS had some momentary swiches available in either "on" or "off". I assumed that we need a switch that is on when pressed  but I guessed wrong as which pack to buy: on when pressed or on when not pressed. The lovely sales girl was no help. She confided that she was "not any good with switches". Before I return and get the other switch pack will someone confirm that we need on when pressed?
Thanks
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 07:27:40 am »
Before I return and get the other switch pack will someone confirm that we need on when pressed?

You dont want an ON/OFF switch, you want a momentary switch. One that when pressed, does not stay depressed. Think of your "flash to pass" switch.....it is only ON when you have it depressed and when you release, it it is off. That is a momentary switch and what you need for this application as well.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 08:11:53 am »
I like Bud's approach of mounting the switch in the original switch housing and I found suitable switches at RS, although not labeled water proof. But a question comes up as RS had some momentary swiches available in either "on" or "off". I assumed that we need a switch that is on when pressed  but I guessed wrong as which pack to buy: on when pressed or on when not pressed. The lovely sales girl was no help. She confided that she was "not any good with switches". Before I return and get the other switch pack will someone confirm that we need on when pressed?
Thanks

What you need Lather is a momentary, normally open switch.  When pressed it will connect the pin your wire is soldered to on the circuit board to ground.  This link will take you to a Radio Shack site with an assortment of such switches available.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=momentary%20switch&origkw=momentary+switch&sr=1

The one I used is in a 4 pack that you'll find at:  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062539

This switch will only be exposed to a few milliamps so the smallest one with the lowest capacity is what you need.

There seems to be an inordinate preoccupation with water among those who have replied to this thread.  In my opinion the switch is pretty well shielded from the airflow by the clutch reservoir and it's the airflow carrying the water.  So what if the switch does manage to accumulate enough water to create a source of flow between the contacts.  All it will do is switch your display panel to the next menu and stay there.  If I'm riding in a rain that's heavy enough to penetrate the switch and to activate it then the least of my concerns is what the display is telling me.  I seriously doubt that the switch will ever be activated by the rain.  If it is, so what?  As a final thought on this matter.  Take a look at the other switches, buttons and what not on on both handlebars and I'll be damned if you can tell me that any of them are waterproof.  None of them are and obviously don't need to be (with the possible exception of the flash to pass switch) otherwise Kawasaki and the other motorcycle manufacturers would be employing waterproof switches in these locations.  They don't, so stop sweating water penetration of the little button that toggles the display panel.   

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:00:27 pm by BudCallaghan »
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline lather

• And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:05 am »
Thanks Bud. The 4 packs were not labeled as to whether they were normally open or closed. There were trays with labels but most of the packs were obviously in the wrong trays! Anyway I found another switch that I like better. Wider and lower profile. As for water proofing I have had a couple cockpit panel mounted non waterproof toggle switches for my heated grips on two bikes a total of 175,000 miles and have never had any rain or washing related problems.
Here's the one I like:
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »
Thanks Bud. The 4 packs were not labeled as to whether they were normally open or closed. There were trays with labels but most of the packs were obviously in the wrong trays! Anyway I found another switch that I like better. Wider and lower profile. As for water proofing I have had a couple cockpit panel mounted non waterproof toggle switches for my heated grips on two bikes a total of 175,000 miles and have never had any rain or washing related problems.
Here's the one I like:

Looks like an appropriate choice to me and probably would have been my choice also had I gone to the store for this specific purpose.  However, I bought mine a couple years ago and that was what I had on hand when this thread was so graciously begun by Lord Frederick III.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:41:36 am by BudCallaghan »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:10 am »
when this thread was so graciously begun by Lord Frederick III.
Hey "Fred", didja see that? "Gracious".  :rotflmao: :nuts: :loco: :rotflmao:
By the way, why is yer location different in UK/US forums?
Perhaps I should change my name on here too.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 04:06:17 am »
Trying to protect the innocent?
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 08:27:07 am »
Here's the one I like:

I like the looks of that one the best. It seems the most OEM'ish of the bunch. Looking at these dimensions though:
Mounting hole: .48"
Bezel diameter: .55"
Button diameter: .35"
Length overall: 1.03"
Length of threads: .26"
Hex nut size: 9/16" or 14mm

I am not sure if I can find room in the factory housing. Anyone that has had it apart care to comment?
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:29 am »
I think the original writeup had a switch similar to what you show mounted in the housing.  It's not that difficult to pull apart and look but it will depend on the physical characteristics of the switch.
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2016 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home.

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 08:50:41 am »
I like the looks of that one the best. It seems the most OEM'ish of the bunch. Looking at these dimensions though:
Mounting hole: .48"
Bezel diameter: .55"
Button diameter: .35"
Length overall: 1.03"
Length of threads: .26"
Hex nut size: 9/16" or 14mm

I am not sure if I can find room in the factory housing. Anyone that has had it apart care to comment?

There are two screws holding the housing together on the handlebar.  Remove the two screws, separate the two halves of the housing, and see for yourself is there is ample space to accommodate the switch.  Do this and you will have proven yourself to be as mentally endowed as the average chimpanzee.  That's what I did to assure my switch would fit and to guarantee consideration for the monkey of the month club.