Author Topic: Brake light / Driving light question - ANSWERED (Use new bulbs to test)  (Read 11422 times)

Offline Mettler1

Re: Brake light / Driving light question
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:30 pm »
I offer myself up as per RangerJim's signoff: "No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example."

Using two good replacement bulbs fixed my issue.  Not a socket issue at all because I used a bad bulb each time I checked sockets. The bad bulb worked on high but not low once compared with good bulbs.  Last night I went to AutoZone and bought 1157 bulbs for $5 and 1157R bulbs in red LED for $17.  What a difference using good bulbs makes!  ;D

And I do have cell phone video that shows the LED lights blinking so I know that the BackOff device works with them too. 

My local auto store sells 1157 bulbs for $.83 each and Napa at $.99 each.  I almost choked when I saw 1157 bulbs at AutoZone for $2.50 each. You won't see me at AutoZone ever again !! ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Brake light / Driving light question
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 09:34:47 am »
Awhile back, I bought some LED bulbs, maybe 6 years ago, maybe the technology has changed since then but they were really DIM
Yes, the technology has VASTLY improved in the last few years.  And it matters the type and quality of the LED you buy.  The taillights in my 06 are LEDs, purchased in 06, and they are exactly as bright as the standard bulbs they replaced.  And you can see them from an angle, too.  One of these days, I'll have a few extra bucks and I'll upgrade to a newer set of brighter LEDs, but since I have additional brake lights, it's not top of my list.

I have a good LED replacement bulb in my 3-D-cell Maglite.  It's brighter than the stock bulb, and projects just as well/far as stock.  And I can still focus the beam like the standard bulb.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157