Author Topic: spline lubrication  (Read 5777 times)

Offline jim-d

• Arena
Re: spline lubrication
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 11:57:29 am »
It is redundant on the shaft becasue the dripping oil just washes it away over time.  I use the Honda moly on the inside of the wheel spline.  Overkill for sure but I have surely spent more on whole lot less :)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »
It is redundant on the shaft becasue the dripping oil just washes it away over time.  I use the Honda moly on the inside of the wheel spline.  Overkill for sure but I have surely spent more on whole lot less :)

I would say that moly grease on the wheel hub spline is not overkill, and it is the difference between splines being shot in as little as 30k miles, and still looking good at 170k miles(mine).
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »
//
As far as what the manual sez, I've seen other issues in the manual that were incorrect, like intake cam sprocket orientation.
//

Hey SISF...Care to elaborate on this???

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

enim57

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 07:54:54 pm »
Interesting discussion here. I have always lubricated both splines with moly grease at every tyre change. I have not noticed the grease being "washed away" from the drive shaft, but, in the final drive I use gearbox oil with moly. Can't tell if it's dirty either - goes in black, comes out black.  I don't think greasing the shaft is a problem but maybe not necessary after hearing what Steve says. My rear tyre is nearly due for a change and I'm going to have a look for that hole.

Regards, Russell

Offline ChipP

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 06:37:37 am »
I took a look and I could be wrong but it looks like there is a weep hole just behind the pinion gear directly on the shaft. I should have taken a pic but didn't have a camera at the time.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 11:38:01 am »
chip, did you check to be sure the oring at the rear of the shaft was intact? they're often cut - Steve

Offline Summit670

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »
I'm getting into foggy territory here, but I believe in addition to the splines on the hub, you also should pull the snap ring off and disassemble and lube some of the bushings inside.  It's been a few years since I've done it but I found the lube that was in there to be pretty dry and glad I pulled it apart.  This is on the wheel.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline ChipP

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:27 am »
Thanks for the heads up Steve. I did take a look since you had mentioned it earlier in this thread. Luckily mine was ok. I did order a spare to have on hand though.