Author Topic: Final bag solution  (Read 7134 times)

Offline texrider

Final bag solution
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »
Went with 2" stainless 'safety pin' style keepers, only needing 1/8" drilled holes. I like this arrangement best of all things I've tried on them.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Final bag solution
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »
I debated on this and eventually decided to carry a bag of zip ties since they have many uses.  Here is how I added the insurance, after a while I never notice them.

Offline texrider

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
I debated on this and eventually decided to carry a bag of zip ties since they have many uses.  Here is how I added the insurance, after a while I never notice them.

Nice trunk and seat! I was securing my bags in that way, only with velcro wraps. Just got tired of fussing with them.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
Thanks,  I rarely take the bags off so it is not a big deal.  If I removed them on a regular basis I would most likely pin them as I did on the FJR.   I have the Concours set up for Touring and the Corbin trunk has a nice backrest.  Did I mention that it is HUGE?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »

That trunk looks great TJ!  :thumbs:

$900 from Corbin??  ;) :-X ;D

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
That's the one, but I got a good deal because some Ebay slut threw me a link.... ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
That's the one, but I got a good deal because some Ebay slut threw me a link.... ;)

:rotflmao:

Those damn ebay sluts...  ;D

Offline So Cal Joe

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:01:46 AM »
i've bought the retaining brackets too. but lately i've been thinking that maybe keeping weight of the bags low would probably go a long way in preventing bags from flying off in the first place.
the heavier the bags, the more the inertia when the bike hits a bump on the road. it's the bag's inertia that bends the (orange) latch and unhitch the bags.

just my thoughts...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
Not putting 'stuff' in the bags defeats their purpose.  There is a weight limit per Kwak but I don't think any of us weighs their items before stuffing the heck out of them.  I like the latches myself.  I know darn well they aren't coming off the bike with them attached.  Quite a few pin them.  Accomplishes the same thing.  It's all good.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
I use this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/270912949890?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f13ab8e82

I have those but I quit using them when I switched out my silver passenger grab rails for the 2012 black rails because I noticed that they did rub the paint off the silver rails in a tiny spot about the size of a pencil eraser where they touched.

I still keep em in my center glove box though and would probably throw them on if I was parked overnight at a hotel or something just to help prevent somebody from easily stealing my bags, but I don't use them while riding anymore because I don't want them to damage my finish on the black rails...

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:16:52 AM »
I bought some brackets from Zteve. However,during a long ride with my daughter last year, she accidentally lifted the handles up on the bags momentarily trying to figure out how to get them open. I had no idea, so the brackets eventually fell off somewhere on the road.

I've contemplated buying some more, but a pinned solution might be better...

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
Went with 2" stainless 'safety pin' style keepers, only needing 1/8" drilled holes. I like this arrangement best of all things I've tried on them.
I like that idea,Where can i  get those pins
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline texrider

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
Found them at Lowe's
2014 Valkyrie

MGvalerio

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
Posto pure qui la mia soluzione.Per chi non volesse forare le borse ho altra soluzione valida,forando i 2 agganci delle borse.

http://youtu.be/qEhYqst8otQ

MGvalerio. 8)

PS.Final bag solution ...non valido a mio avviso. ???

Offline texrider

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »
Thats-a nice, but I don't wanna drill so many holes in the bags!  ::)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »

I have those but I quit using them when I switched out my silver passenger grab rails for the 2012 black rails because I noticed that they did rub the paint off the silver rails in a tiny spot about the size of a pencil eraser where they touched.

I still keep em in my center glove box though and would probably throw them on if I was parked overnight at a hotel or something just to help prevent somebody from easily stealing my bags, but I don't use them while riding anymore because I don't want them to damage my finish on the black rails...

Hey J! What color are those bars under the black paint? Yep, black. Why worry about that small of an area that can't be seen?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:53 PM »
Hey J! What color are those bars under the black paint? Yep, black. Why worry about that small of an area that can't be seen?

That post is old C, I have them on now, agreed.