Author Topic: Rostra Switch  (Read 4952 times)

ang

Rostra Switch
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
Go easy on me as I am starting my Rostra install and I am sure will have a few questions on route. First one, do I need to use a relay with this switch. I am not sure if it lights up, I think it does.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
Re: Rostra Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:38:49 PM »
no
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
 :popcorn:

Flathead

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »
IIRC the only relay you'll need is for the brake circuit.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »
 :popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:48:52 AM »
no

Is that 'no' on the 'go easy' or 'no' on the relay?

We don't have a write up per se on this installation, at least I don't think we do.  I'll have to check.  If not, it would be nice to have one, though, for reference.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:20:03 AM »
Here's a write up I found.  Forgot about this one.  Must be slipping.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1675.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:24 AM »
Is that 'no' on the 'go easy' or 'no' on the relay?

Just an answer to his question,
no u do not need a relay for that switch and yes it does light up
you do still need a relay for the brake trigger wire and it needs to be a 5 pin not 4
don't ask how I know
2012 Blue ABS Wing

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:57:15 AM »
Like Don said, yes it lights up and yes you need a relay for the brake. No idea what other relay you are referring to.

ang

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »
I have the relay installed for the rear light, but in some instructions it says I need a relay for the switch if it lights up. Just want to make sure.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
I think they are referring to a 2 light switch that has an "engaged" light. I have the exact same switch that you do, a single light just showing power on and does not need a relay.

Offline jayke

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
That’s the standard Audiovox  / Rostra switch.  The gray wire is the background illumination for the switch.

To answer your question, the reason you might need a relay for the switch is to shut the power off to the gray wire so you don’t run your battery down. 

If you connect the gray wire to the key switched C14 accessory terminals, you don’t need a relay.  These accessory terminals shut off (no power) when the bike is turned off.

If you do this below , you’re good to go without a relay on the Control Pad:
The Gray wire from the Control Pad illuminates the Control pad at night. Connect this wire to the red / orange fused wire and attach both wires to the positive accessory lead.  Attach the Black wire from the Control Pad to the negative accessory lead.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
That’s the standard Audiovox  / Rostra switch.  The gray wire is the background illumination for the switch.

To answer your question, the reason you might need a relay for the switch is to shut the power off to the gray wire so you don’t run your battery down. 

If you connect the gray wire to the key switched C14 accessory terminals, you don’t need a relay.  These accessory terminals shut off (no power) when the bike is turned off.

If you do this below , you’re good to go without a relay on the Control Pad:
The Gray wire from the Control Pad illuminates the Control pad at night. Connect this wire to the red / orange fused wire and attach both wires to the positive accessory lead.  Attach the Black wire from the Control Pad to the negative accessory lead.

Good point. I do have a relay to the main power to the Rostra Unit so it completely powers down when the bike is off.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
A relay is always needed for the brake light circuit on the C-14 when installing a Rostra. You will also need an additional relay for the switch but only if you have a switch with an 'engaged' light on it. Rostra sells both types of switches, with and without engaged lights so it depends on which switch you have whether or not you need the second relay.

Brian

I have the relay installed for the rear light, but in some instructions it says I need a relay for the switch if it lights up. Just want to make sure.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
No, as there is no engaged light on that switch, you do not need a relay to use it with a Rostra on a C-14.

Brian

Go easy on me as I am starting my Rostra install and I am sure will have a few questions on route. First one, do I need to use a relay with this switch. I am not sure if it lights up, I think it does.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

ang

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the help, no relay for the switch it is. I am drawing power from a switched fuse box so power is off when bike is off.

ang

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Well I have done my hook ups, I think correctly, and checked the 1 to 12 settings on the module but I can't get the unit to enter the diagnostic mode. I have left off the light green to black spotted wire as advised. I know there is power to the unit as the led does flash when I push the on button on the switch. I am going back to the garage to give it another try but wanted to get this question asked asap. Thanks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
Well I have done my hook ups, I think correctly, and checked the 1 to 12 settings on the module but I can't get the unit to enter the diagnostic mode. I have left off the light green to black spotted wire as advised. I know there is power to the unit as the led does flash when I push the on button on the switch. I am going back to the garage to give it another try but wanted to get this question asked asap. Thanks.

I don't know the answer, but it seems like every time someone posts about installing the Rostra- they have the exact same problem- diagnostic mode!

One day, I will install one of those things.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »

if u need some help give me a call 719 344 93 four zero
2012 Blue ABS Wing

ang

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »
Finally got it! Simple solution, please don't ask! I did all the tests as described in the manual , but had a problem with the last one. The led does not seem to flash at a faster rate when I spin the wheel, stays constant. I have been using Brian's install instructions, who I thank, and his instructions do indicate that the led should flash faster as the wheel is spun faster. Seems to me it can only be the VSS connection. Will check tomorrow as dinner is scheduled for Valentines!!!
Thanks for the offer of help Don, if I can't get this figured out I will give you a call.