Author Topic: Fuzeblock install ?'s  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Smiffer

Fuzeblock install ?'s
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
I was going to mount my fuze block similar to Stevewfl from http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3434.msg39664#msg39664 but instead of attaching itto the foam i was going to mount it upside down under the fairing right there with industrial velcro.

I have a couple of questions.
1) the fuzeblock will be somewhat exposed to the elements. I imagine extended riding in the rain it would possibly get a little wet. The fuzeblock website says that it is water resistant but I imagine it shouldn't get wet at all? Yes I know I could mount it under the seat but really don't want to as all 3 of the items I'm powering are right there by the steering head. I would then have to snake the gps, heated gear, etc wires from there to under the seat.

2) I looked through the old threads but didn't see an answer, should I connect the fuzeblock to the negative battery terminal or to the frame where the negative connection grounds?
2010 C14

Offline 4cedars

Re: Fuzeblock install ?'s
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
Smiffer, that is exactly how I mounted mine. I left all the wires going into the block 6-8 inches long then keep everything zip tied and in loom material.That way I can reach under and pull the block out if there is a problem or I want to work on/ add accessories. It works very well in that location.

In now have a Rostra cruise control unit mounted to that foam and have the block velcroed to that. Again reach under and pull it off.

I have had 0 issues with water, and I will/have ride in toad stranglers. When your doing IB rides its go or go home.

I had the block off this winter while doing the cruise install and there was no indication of ANY water related issues.

I also mounted 4 powerlet outlets to the forward part of the black cover and the wiring is all neat and compact.

Like you said, most everything you want to power is up front so why not put the block up front

Hope this helps, John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Stretch

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
Ok,

So this has been on my bike for the past 4 weeks and I thought I would share it with you all.  I've attached some photos and a pdf of the plate to mount the Fuzeblock to my 2011 bike.  I saw this idea a while ago and have made it work for at least the 2011 model. 

When you print the pdf file, be sure to set the Page Scaling to none.  After you have printed out the pdf, measure it to make sure it is correctly printed.

The mounting plate is made from .050 aluminum and I cut it using a plain vanilla jig saw with a metal cutting blade.  After you have cut the plate out, be sure to file all the rough edges.  Bend the plate as shown and test fit it to the bike.  Don't drill any holes until you are sure the plate fits correctly. 

I removed the right side fairing and used the upper bolt location adjacent to the Kawasaki logo on the forward fairing.  I removed the plastic retention 'bolt' that holds the foam deflector in place.  After I drilled and fitted the mounting plate I drilled holes to mount the Fuzeblock to the plate.  I used the nuts and bolts supplied with the Fuzeblock ao I did not have to get any additional fasteners.

Hopefully the pictures speak for themselves.  I purchased the aluminum sheet from http://www.cut2sizemetals.com/aluminum/flat-sheet/ash/.  You can get 2 of these from 1 6"x12" sheet. 

Offline Stretch

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Here is the pdf and some other pics

Bob

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
I likey   8)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Hamsters00

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:08 AM »
I would love to post the pdf file, but it does not upload.  Any thoughts?

Stretch, PM sent to you on the procedure, hope this helps out.
Hamster
C14
'00 - C10 traded up
'86 - C10 traded up

Offline Stretch

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
PDF   Thanks Hamster

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
That looks like a great idea.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
I was in the middle of a farkling session and saw this thread. I liked the idea and although I am using the fuse block sold by Murphskits for the C-10s I thought this would work out really nice as a platform for it. I got it DLed and printed off. I stuck my printed template to a piece of .125" lexan since I didn't have any sheet metal handy. I cut it alll out and temporarily mounted the fuse block onto the pattern. Before I did the bends, I though I'd go see how was going to fit and with the thicker material, I knew I would need to adjust the bend locations a bit. The piece wasn't even close. Obviously this is another area where the '08 and '09's differ from the newer bikes. I gotta start over with cardboard and work out a new template.
That's what I get for not checking first! Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Still plenty to do, finish new full exhaust, Rostra cruise control, PCV, heated grips and a few little minor things like Phils wedges and spot mirrors.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike