Author Topic: Questions on checking/adjusting valves  (Read 12524 times)

Offline cog4030

Questions on checking/adjusting valves
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
I'm in the planning stage of adjusting the valves on my C14. In fact I pulled the fairings off last night.

I've done it multiple times on my old  99 C10, but the C14 is a little different =8-)) !!

I've read just about all the threads on both forums and the service manual  but still have a few questions.

Do  the 4 oil tubes just pull out ??  IE no clamps or brackets holding them in place.

To turn the engine over to get to # 1 and # 4 piston TDC, I'm assuming bumping it with the starter is acceptable or not ??

Thanks in Advance !

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Questions on checking/adjusting valves
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
It is a lot different than the C10, you aren't gonna want to be bumping the starter to turn the engine....
you need to remove the cover from the timing wheel... and pay close attention to the actual position and marks, along with scribing marks on the timing gears/cam ends.
This is because if needed for adjusting, you will be pulling the cams.
Pull the sparkplugs out when you get everythiong "unburied", and simply turn the engine over with the crank bolt.
Follow the instructions in the manual....do not deviate.
Keep good records of the measurements.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline cog4030

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Why can't you use the starter to move the cams?

I'd just be doing it to move between #1 TDC and  #4 TDC to get the initial clearances.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:35:46 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
You can do it anyway you want.  Why bother to ask if you are going to argue or ignore good advice?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
I watched Fred's videos on the valve adjustment and still would not try it, I cannot imagine trying to do it from text. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
Yes, the oil tubes just pull out. Check the O-rings on each one though- about 1/4 of mine were nicked. The O-rings are available as an individual part or you can buy them from any bearing store if you use an old one for size.

You can turn the engine over with the starter provided the entire valve train, including the tensioner, is intact and properly tightened. That said, it is unlikely you will hit the mark correctly without having to do it multiple times so it is not worth it in my opinion. As  others have said, just use a wrench or ratchet to turn the engine the correct direction (the correct direction only!).

Once any part of the valve train is loosened or removed, including the cam chain tensioner, you should not turn the engine over with the starter. Valves may strike pistons and that will surely turn into a very expensive valve adjustment. The best method is not to use the starter again until the engine is buttoned up and all hoses and wiring is in place.

Brian

I'm in the planning stage of adjusting the valves on my C14. In fact I pulled the fairings off last night.

I've done it multiple times on my old  99 C10, but the C14 is a little different =8-)) !!

I've read just about all the threads on both forums and the service manual  but still have a few questions.

Do  the 4 oil tubes just pull out ??  IE no clamps or brackets holding them in place.

To turn the engine over to get to # 1 and # 4 piston TDC, I'm assuming bumping it with the starter is acceptable or not ??

Thanks in Advance !
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline texrider

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »
I'd recommend disconnecting the battery while doing that deed...  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »
I'm a decent mechanic, but my Concours is at the dealership right now having the valves checked.  Some jobs are just worth paying the folks who do it for a living.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jimmy Lucas

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
12 pcak of hamms and i could do it myslef, sounds fun.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:27:53 PM »
Hey Cog, have ya been introduced to Haraldo?  I pray this thread stays under 10 pages.  But, we are in need of an epic thread to follow along as well as a well intentioned person willing to become the end of all things funny ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »
What kind of bike does Haroldo ride now?  I need to check out that forum to see what he has been up to.  I remember reading his valve check thread when I was doing research for my first time and it was a classic.  He had me ready to pack up my tools and send my bike to the dealer so I couldn't become Haroldo the second. 

@ the OP:  Save yourself some trouble and pick up a copy of Fred's DVD's, they will make the job much easier.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »
12 pcak of hamms and i could do it myslef, sounds fun.

Not sure if this is humor or irony.  But if unintentional, you might not want to combine beer and valves.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »
Why can't you use the starter to move the cams?

I'd just be doing it to move between #1 TDC and  #4 TDC to get the initial clearances.

You can do it anyway you want.  Why bother to ask if you are going to argue or ignore good advice?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :stirpot: :thumbs: :thumbs: :hitfan:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 01:31:59 AM »

Thanks in Advance !

Buy Fred's Videos and a Service Manual bro, trust me. 

:-) And For those that laugh: I did it (valve adjust and whatever else I could do other than fock up my brake calipers with brake grease LOL) becuase one day I plan on shedding my XXXXXX salary for a life of coveralls, a tractor, 3 acres out in the middle of nowhere, and a fancy double-wide.  I won't have the luxury of paying a dealer to maintain something I can do myself.  I love to tinker, but have a mission to learn also.  Just sayin', don't knock a man for tryin' (not that I was, but whew, Will Haraldo's misfortunes ever die?)
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:13 AM »
Just sayin', don't knock a man for tryin' (not that I was, but whew, Will Haraldo's misfortunes ever die?)

No, they won't.  Not as long as the members who were around then and now still remember those posts.

No one is knocking anyone for doing a valve adjust on this bike.  It's just a little more complicated than doing a C10's valves (which I have done multiple times).  Sound advice would be to listen to what the members say who've done this and follow along with Fred's videos. 

I wouldn't do it because I don't have the kind of time it requires to get it right.  Too many things to do and not enough time to do it.  Kudos to anyone that does though.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:30:50 AM »
No, they won't.  Not as long as the members who were around then and now still remember those posts.

No one is knocking anyone for doing a valve adjust on this bike.  It's just a little more complicated than doing a C10's valves (which I have done multiple times).  Sound advice would be to listen to what the members say who've done this and follow along with Fred's videos. 

I wouldn't do it because I don't have the kind of time it requires to get it right.  Too many things to do and not enough time to do it.  Kudos to anyone that does though.

Bio chemistry is complicated. valve adjusts are not. They are however tedious and involved.
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »
That's coming from you....  To me they're complicated.  ;)

Offline roadie

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 04:45:07 AM »
And back at 'cha :) :  that's coming from you that no one is laughing, to me Haraldo gets clowned mercilessly. Glad he is a standup guy. Does he still frequent here?
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »
Not very much these days.  I still see him pop in from time to time.  I certainly don't think Haroldo is being clowned.  He went through so much and provided us all the details of what worked and what didn't.  Legendary is the word I would use.  We learned so much from him.