Author Topic: What happened to Super Tech oil filters?  (Read 15729 times)

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
What happened to Super Tech oil filters?
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »
I'm not interested in arguing the merits (or lack of) of the above mentioned filters, but does anybody know? I can't find them anywhere.
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What happened to Super Tech oil filters?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:13:54 PM »
Super Tech is WalMart's 'house' brand. Those filters are only available from WalMart. The filters themselves are made by Champion, a company which also makes oil filters for quite a few other brands.

Brian

I'm not interested in arguing the merits (or lack of) of the above mentioned filters, but does anybody know? I can't find them anywhere.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Ya, I already knew that, but none of the Walmarts near me carry them anymore. About all they have anymore is Fram and a very few AC Delco filters.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
I think Wal-Mart is discontinuing the Super-Tech brand in their stores. A Wal-Mart in Oregon didn't have any Super-Tech filters and only had a couple quarts of Super-Tech oil left. They are carrying about 400% more Fram filters than previous and another brand of oil. I'm not a huge fan of Fram cardboard filters, so I will stick with Napa (Wix) filters and stock up when they go on sale for 50%.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
I noticed that this weekend when I tried to get one... I ended up going up the road to carquest and getting a Bosch 3323 for $6.  Walmart wanted almost $13!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:11 PM »
Wow at the wally world filters.  I hate Walmart so much I shop target, and didn't know these things exist.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
Wow at the wally world filters.  I hate Walmart so much I shop target, and didn't know these things exist.

I hate Walmart also. Unfortunately, our Target carries nothing for automotive and Fred Meyers is a total ripoff, so I haven't much choice unless I order it online...

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
Like a couple of you, I only go to Walmart for oil because they can't be beat on price.  I hate going there though.  I have decided to use only the mfrs filter.  My theory is that I know it is a quality filter, and for a few bucks more I am on record with the dealer as to when I actually changed my oil.  My dealer sells the factory filter for $12.95.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »
Wallys must not have been making enough money off of the Super Tech filters anymore. That would be the only reason that they stopped selling em.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
This has happened before- quite a few stores run out of stock on that filter and the area where the Super Tech filters seems to be disappearing but then it gets restocked. So hopefully that is what is going on again. I am not going to get into an oil filter / mfg. warranty debate but I do think those filters offer a great value- a 'real' filter (with rubber check valve and no paper or cardboard inside) for right around $3. The only downside to those filters that I have found is the paper thin housing, it is so thin you can dent it with your hands and they really do not like being gripped by almost any kind of oil filter wrench. I am currently using a large set of serrated oil filter pliers that seems to be working pretty well but removing these filters can be a challenge as the housing just crushes or rips underneath most removal tools.

Brian

Wallys must not have been making enough money off of the Super Tech filters anymore. That would be the only reason that they stopped selling em.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Summit670

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I wrapped a few turns of masking tape around the bottom of my car filter last time I changed that and we'll see how well it stays put for grip when removing during the next oil change.  I know I like those Frams with the "line-x" type bottoms because you can still grip them even when they are oily.

If it works, I'll be wrapping all my filters before I install them.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
Yeah, they are definitely thin walled. I have a pair of oil filter pliers that I use to remove them. It pretty much destroys them getting it off.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
After reading this thread I went to my local Wally World to stock up on a few filters in case there were eliminating them. There were absolutely NONE on the shelf. There happened to be an automotive employee right there so I asked where the ST filters were. His reply was that Walmart corporate called for them to be removed. He said all stores should have taken them off the shelf and they were being replaced with Purolater brand filters. They previously did not carry Purolater. I did see a selection of Purolater filters o the shelf and they were all priced at $3+ (give or take some change) but they did not have the correct one for the C14 or either of my 2 vehicles.
So take that for what it worth, that is what he told me.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
Great- and I liked those filters too.

Brian

After reading this thread I went to my local Wally World to stock up on a few filters in case there were eliminating them. There were absolutely NONE on the shelf. There happened to be an automotive employee right there so I asked where the ST filters were. His reply was that Walmart corporate called for them to be removed. He said all stores should have taken them off the shelf and they were being replaced with Purolater brand filters. They previously did not carry Purolater. I did see a selection of Purolater filters o the shelf and they were all priced at $3+ (give or take some change) but they did not have the correct one for the C14 or either of my 2 vehicles.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »

That's strange that they wouldn't just sell the filters that they had left on the shelves.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 07:21:16 AM »
That's strange that they wouldn't just sell the filters that they had left on the shelves.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
That's the way walmart operates. They made Purolator a deal they coudn't refuse.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 09:22:54 AM »
It's just wierd that they don't even show up on the Champion Labs website. I wonder if they stopped making them. They have a new one on their site (new to me at least) called an eCore or something to that effect. I haven't taken the time yet to try to get some answers from their support folks about the Super Tech line. Maybe some other retailer carries them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 06:46:16 AM »
TARGET FTW

I'll pay 1-2% more to avoid long lines, trashed carts and the peopleofwalmart.com  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
ST filters = Kipass failures?  Just wonderin'   :rotflmao:
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
KiPass failures???  Very strange phenomenon to me  :D