Author Topic: shock preload adjuster cap (2010-2012 model)  (Read 2437 times)

Offline jtk1531

shock preload adjuster cap (2010-2012 model)
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:29 PM »
anyone knows how to take off the plastic adjustment cap on the shock preload adjuster?
frequent rides in the rain seem to result in a siezed up adjuster. i'm thinking of using some silicon grease to lube up the inside of the cap.

i've read about using WD-40 and other types of spray-on lubes to free up the adjuster, but i don't think petroleum-based solvents will be safe for o-rings that might get in contact with the spray liquid.

Offline momo65

Re: shock preload adjuster cap (2010-2012 model)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
I don't know how to take the cap off, but whatever you do, do not use WD-40, you are going to end up with a bunch of dirt and grime afterwards, am pretty sure someone here will help you with your question.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
Same happened to me and I've read that it's happened to others. I took mine back to the dealer and they had it working within 10 minutes and I haven't had a problem with it again for about 10 months.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
There is a small pin on the back side (tyre side) of the adjuster that I have read (so not done myself) you push into the adjuster which then allows you to pull the cap off.

My adjuster seized within a week of having the brand new bike that had never seen rain.  I sprayed Inox (a penetrating lubricant) up under the cap, worked it back and forth and it has been fine since.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
There is a small pin on the back side (tyre side) of the adjuster that I have read (so not done myself) you push into the adjuster which then allows you to pull the cap off.

yeah, i noticed that pin too. tried to push the pin in yesterday evening while cleaning up the bike, but it doesn't seem to budge at all. i only had a small key on hand at that time that i tried to push the pin in with.
any site-reference to where you read about pin's function? is it supposed to be pushed in when the preload's fully in or out or somewhere in between?

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
any site-reference to where you read about pin's function?

Have tried to find it for you but can't seem to work my google-fu at the moment.  I seem to remember reading you had to push it through with a nail or something and then fish it out of the adjuster when dissasembled.

BUT

I didn't like what I was reading and a jammed shock adjuster on a one week old bike was bad enough I didn't want to be responsible for breaking the thing.  But still, after I gave her a squirt with the lube and got onto it with the strap wrench it has been fine.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390