Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 292884 times)

Offline Sgt Mac

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #880 on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
Isn't this what you're talking about?

Yes, not sure how I missed that.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #881 on: September 21, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »
Yes, not sure how I missed that.
It just blends in that much ;)

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #882 on: September 22, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
Do the new instruction's come with torque specs? I read people were complaining that the old ones did not.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #883 on: September 24, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
Do the new instruction's come with torque specs? I read people were complaining that the old ones did not.

We added torque specs to the instructions a little while back on the #1400-410 (2010-2012 Concours) and the #1400-400 (2008-2009 Concours) but haven't added them for the FJR quite yet. Depending on where you're at in the queue, your instructions may or may not have this information. However, if you need it, just message me and I can send the specs over to you!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #884 on: September 25, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
did we ever decide which specs were correct?

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #885 on: September 25, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »
We added torque specs to the instructions a little while back on the #1400-410 (2010-2012 Concours) and the #1400-400 (2008-2009 Concours) but haven't added them for the FJR quite yet. Depending on where you're at in the queue, your instructions may or may not have this information. However, if you need it, just message me and I can send the specs over to you!

Thank you sir!! PM Sent.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #886 on: September 26, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
Got mine today!! I put them on in about 1 hour and added my highway pegs too. Took it out for a ride and loved them. I'm also glad I got the Larry's passenger drop pegs for the wifey. Without them it would be kinda cramped for her feet with the rear cages. Oh... I almost forgot, I installed my CalSci XL windshield too before the ride which was also great. Now I'm just waiting on my Baldwin GT seat and I will be set for some long haul rides. Can't wait!!

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #887 on: September 27, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »
Ryan - Could you post the torque specs here? I have a 2010 C14 and the instructions I received (early buyer) did not have this info.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #888 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
I have attempted to clarify the question of torque specs but nobody has really confirmed anything.  The specs in the manual do not correlate with the specs that I was given by Ryan.   I posted the manual info for reference.  If you search you will find my post.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9386.180

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #889 on: September 29, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
Today it was necessary to remove the 2nd Gen Canyon Cages so that I could remove the fairings and install an HID lighting kit.  After FINALLY getting them off and completing the HID installation, I decided to see if I could cut the fairing vents as mentioned on the forums and install the fairings AFTER re-installing the canyon cages.

Below is a photo after the cut (I did this on both fairings).  Note that you will want to cut it in a way that leaves some of the old attachment material present so it can be grabbed by the other fairing.  I expect this will strengthen the connection and prevent vibration or buzzing/rubbing.

I can verify that this does, in fact, work.  However, it is a nightmare of a 3D puzzle to get the fairings on with the Canyons present.  So much so that I am not sure it is even worth trying.  I have had a terrible time with the vented fairings even WITHOUT trying to fight the Canyons.  Perhaps I don't have the "method" down, but I did FINALLY manage to get them on, and without scratching or damaging anything.  I considered it a miracle.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline byekryam

• "The only way out is through!"
« Reply #890 on: November 10, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »
Ok, new here, but been investigating the Canyon Cages and need some insight. 

They have two types.  One sticks out from the sides of the bike and is similar to the ones on police bikes.  These to me look like they protect the best keeping the ground away from the bike the most.  (do they also protect legs from possible side swiping something unintentionally?)  But since they stick out, they may look a little obtrusive.  Does anyone have a pic of thier bike with these attached (front view)?

The other type is the one that wraps around the bottom\side.  It's more low profile and looks better.  But does it allow for uneven ground to touch the plastic where as the other type might not?

Any insight \arguement for either side would be very much appreciated so I can make an informed decision on which type to purchase.

(Also, earlier on I saw comments on "bathroom bars" but never found any pictures of them.....)

Thanks,
Woody

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #891 on: November 10, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum. The police bars are often referred to as bathroom bars especially if chromed. They will afford the most protection if you can abide the looks. There are a couple of members still sporting the police bars I think. With the Canyon Cages keep in mind that they are considered tip over bars and work well for that. Uneven ground may of course reach through the bars to the plastic. The majority of the drops I've heard of caused little or know damage to the bike with the mirror tip being the most vulnerable.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #893 on: November 10, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »
By definition, "canyon cages" are the low profile versions... they're meant for those who ride the canyons (with more lean-in). Like you noticed, less protection that the other variety, but they do a great job in parking lot falls (several times, for some people :-[). Think of them as large frame sliders. MCE makes canyons for other sport bikes, as well.

I like it because it's low profile but still offers added protection. Decide where you want to land on protection vs appearance and purchase accordingly.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #894 on: November 10, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
So, what's the difference in 7/8" tubing bars and the 1" bars?
Thanks.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #895 on: November 10, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
I think it just had to do with when they were produced... Ryan at MCE mentioned it back in the build post, something about matching a diameter they we already producing for the rear bag guards. I'll have to look back thru those to see if I can find it.

EDIT::: Looks like the Gen 1 C14s are using the 7/8", and the Gen 2 all have the 1". Looks true for the large style, canyons and rear bags.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #896 on: November 10, 2015, 05:31:55 PM »
Thanks. I noticed on Amazon that certain sizes did seem to fit certain years, it's just not clear. I appreciate the info.

I heard some folks were having some issues of some kind with MCE, has that cleared up?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #897 on: November 10, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »
Either the 7/8 or 1" will fit the rear. Cages installs biggest problem seems to be an excess of factory applied loctite on the engine mount bolts.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #898 on: November 10, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
I heard some folks were having some issues of some kind with MCE, has that cleared up?

I think that might have been a different vendor, but I haven't had to purchase since we did the original build and group buy a couple years ago. It might be worth trying to PM Ryan directly ("RyanMCEnterprises"...he pops up around here from time to time) to check stock or production status.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #899 on: November 10, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
Yeah, maybe so. I saw in an old thread where he (Ryan) took some personal time during that group  buy, but was back last year.
Thanks.
2014 C-14 Red