Author Topic: GPS mounts, are there any functional differences?  (Read 8652 times)

Offline Elfmaze

GPS mounts, are there any functional differences?
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
I am currently looking at three versions.  The Techmount,  the Kawasaki OEM,  And Project D's fork mount. 

Are there any differences besides style in the units?  better range of articulation?  or thicker metal between one or the other?   

Seemes they all kinda get the job done so i'm thinking get the cheapest of the three.

Universal ram mounts do sound appealing too though,  I don't like stem mounts if they can work loose. 

Offline Texas Concours14

Re: GPS mounts, are there any functional differences?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
One thing to consider is location of the mount.  If you will be pressing buttons on the GPS while riding (as I do on occasion - I know, not safe), having the GPS mounted on the left handlebar is preferable to the center location of the Kawa OEM mount.  Also, the Kawa OEM center mount is lower than a handlebar mount, which necessitates taking your eyes off the road to a greater extent when looking at the GPS screen.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:41:04 PM by Texas Concours14 »
2010 C14 ABS

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
This plastic mount cost less than a dollar. Took all the crap off the back side. Drilled one hole in top of glove box.
Easy to reach and solid as a rock.

Offline W14

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
If you have the already installed Murph's Kevin Baker Risers, Murph's now offers a ram ball mount that easily attaches to the risers. You will also need an extension arm and a cradle for your gps. I have this setup for a TOM TOM and it works quite well.

Regarding the GPS on the top of the glove box, the process is innovative but I think this would be little hard to see when wearing a full face helmet.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
I ran my gps units down low for a while and found it better for me to run them up higher to my line of site. You cover a lot of ground when you look down to the gps, find what info you want and then back up. I find myself just lowering my eyes slightly to get to the units now.

I made this out of 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum angle and coated it with plasti-dip spray.

Just another option, John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
One thing to consider is location of the mount.  If you will be pressing buttons on the GPS while riding (as I do on occasion - I know, not safe), having the GPS mounted on the left handlebar is preferable to the center location of the Kawa OEM mount.  Also, the Kawa OEM center mount is lower than a handlebar mount, which necessitates taking your eyes off the road to a greater extent when looking at the GPS screen.

what he said. Having the GPS close to your left hand is a big plus, and it sits higher than on other locations, which minimizes eyes-off-the-road time.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
I use the TechMount and I think of the 3 you listed, it offers the best adjustability. I think (and I could be wrong) that the Kawi and the Projekt D are just rigid mounts that do not adjust. This is just a personal preference, but I like to keep the look as clean and OEM'ish as possible.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »
I use the adjustable one from ProjektD, it's adjustable, mounts to all 6 handlebar bolts and is sturdy.
It tilts up and down, which you will need due to glare

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
I ran my gps units down low for a while and found it better for me to run them up higher to my line of site. You cover a lot of ground when you look down to the gps, find what info you want and then back up. I find myself just lowering my eyes slightly to get to the units now.

I made this out of 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum angle and coated it with plasti-dip spray.

Just another option, John
How do you see where you're going with all of that stuff up front??? Can you even see the speedo and tach?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »
This plastic mount cost less than a dollar. Took all the crap off the back side. Drilled one hole in top of glove box.
Easy to reach and solid as a rock.

I agree. It's an innovative idea, but too low for my taste. Mine's on a RAM mount on the left handbar. Easy access and up high enough to see easily.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
lots of places to put things on those balls

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
I used to have my Zumo mounted on a RAM ball on a stem mount.  It was ok but flexed a bit and I had to tighten up the stem mount every now and again.  Just recently I replaced this setup with the non-adjustable Projekt D solution and it's a lot more vibration resistance and secure.

Install here: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/newold-farkle.html

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »
I did mine a little differently.  I modified the mount to angle it up a bit and attached it to the plastic dash.  Works just fine for my purposes and I am really surprised at how well I can hear it. 

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 07:06:50 AM »
I do like that left side dash thing.  And it looks like Project D has moved to an angle adjustable version.        We went on a ride last night and used my cell phone as GPS.  Could not see the screen to save my life sitting in the map pocket of my tank bag.  Cell phone stayed on top of the bag the whole way home.  Thank god it didn't go flying (still in break in period :) )  But it did secure the need for the mount. 

I think i'm still aiming for the tree mount.  It just seems a cleaner install.  I think i'll even still be able to see it over my tank bag.   But I was surprised to see that not much bigger than my cell phone in wide aspect can fit there.  I don't think some of the wide GPS's will.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
How do you see where you're going with all of that stuff up front??? Can you even see the speedo and tach?

LOL- I was thinking the same thing.
And I was also wondering why anyone would want or need TWO GPS units...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »
I used to have my Zumo mounted on a RAM ball on a stem mount.  It was ok but flexed a bit and I had to tighten up the stem mount every now and again.  Just recently I replaced this setup with the non-adjustable Projekt D solution and it's a lot more vibration resistance and secure.

I have used  my Zumo on a RAM mount off my Helibar risers since day one and never have to tighten it and have no vibration problems...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »

Nice feature on the Diamond DA40 I fly!

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »
I have used  my Zumo on a RAM mount off my Helibar risers since day one and never have to tighten it and have no vibration problems...

And you probably wouldn't.  The one I had relied on a piece of rubber pushed into the steering stem hole which was then squished outwards to hold it in place by tightening the bolt - nowhere near as good as a ball bolted to something solid.  In saying all that the mount worked ok for the bike's first 70,000km...
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »

I can see the speedo clearly but the gps units are more accurate, mine is off 4mph at 60. I just need a clear line of sight to the LCD display.

As far as seeing the tach there is no need to see it. I am not a drag racer  having to hit shift points. I certainly dont need it to ride in a civilized manner.
I've spent 40 years riding listening to the engine. When it bogs, downshift. :)

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »

Do you run rallies. Have you ever seen serious rally/LD bikes.

2 gps units are standard on most rally bikes with 3 units very common. And a 4th unit if it is a 2 up pair. Some are even using IPads in the tank bags.

They are used for different applications by different people. Some are strictly back up units with routes and waypoints downloaded for when/if the primary goes on the fritz. Some always have the rally HQ set as home on one unit  and it constantly reminds the rider of the amount of time and the route back to HQ so as
 not to DNF. Some show all the preselected POI's a particular rider may want on 1 and not the other.

I usually run 2 units with routes entered into both units. The primary is zoomed out to show a larger picture of the route and upcoming towns, weather etc., while the secondary is pulled in tight to show all cross roads/streets with names and also to show what the upcoming road ahead looks like, especially helpful at night in unfamiliar areas. Once you get a feel for curves and bends on the gps screen it is easier to determine entrance speeds into those curves and bends knowing (hopefully) what lies beyond. The Lowrance unit I ran a couple years ago would auto zoom at the city limits and then back out to the level I wanted it outside of those boundaries.

Just a quick abbreviated answer to your question,

John

IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant