Author Topic: Free tpms (w/dead batteries) replacement even w/expired 3 yr warranty  (Read 12349 times)

Offline punkynlew1

Good news for many older C14 owners. Searched online and found a Kawi document saying the tpms batteries "are rated for 5 years." I just called and varified this with a Kawi customer service rep and he said, "Take your '08 C14 to a dealer and if he says no (one had already said no), tell him to call us and we'll straighten him out." So, if you need tires, it's a good time to get free installation on those too, since they must be removed in order to install new tpms'.

Kawi document: K-TECH NEWS, vol. 20, issue 2 2007, pg. 12, para. 2.   
Google "K-TECH NEWS, vol. 20, issue 2 2007" and it will be the top of the page link to a PDF Adobe document.  For those computer challenged an easy link is attached.  Lew

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:33:43 AM by punkynlew1 »

Flathead

Re: Free tpms (w/dead batteries) replacement even w/expired 3 yr warranty
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:23:42 PM »
Can you post up the document or a link?

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
I posted that last year, when I had my first one replaced the dealer told me the battery in the unit had a 5 year warranty on them.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »

See edit in OP.  Lew

Flathead

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »
Thanks Lew

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
Dealer had better not give me any crap, cause I am gonna shove that 5 year warranty in their face! >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:59:14 AM »
Now, now, Mr. Poke.  Don't get yer knickers in a twist before you take it in...  Save it for the actual confrontation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:05:21 AM »

See edit in OP.  Lew

I'm not seeing a link or the document in the OP.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:10:38 AM »
The Kawi tech letter or the 5 year thingy?  The 5 year battery statement is in the owner's manual.  Ok, I take back the owner's manual statement.  Can't find it, but I've read it somewhere as well.  In search mode...

Ok, found it in the Kwak 2008 design factoid....which is also linked to in our C14 General Facts thread in the C14 Wiki area.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=93.0

http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:20 AM »
The tech letter.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
I'm not seeing a link or the document in the OP.

Look again.  Lew

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »
http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf

HEHEHEH
 I found this quite humerous in that "factiod" sheet from the "design team"....
Q: Are the front and rear brakes linked?
A: No. For sport touring bikes, brakes that
can be used independently front and rear on
winding roads are part of the fun. Our view
is current Linked Brake Systems tend to
remove this fun factor – the underlying
principle of the C14.

I guess they decided the 2010 owners needed LESS FUN FACTOR

:rotflmao:

I also don't think the O/P's tech paper holds any credence if handed to a dealerships tech people, that are'nt willing to comply, But I do suggest being adament about them replacing the TPS parts, right up till the last minute....(I say this tongue in cheek, because I know mine needs to be replaced this year...... :stirpot: :thumbs:   )

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »
HEHEHEH
 I found this quite humerous in that "factiod" sheet from the "design team"....
Q: Are the front and rear brakes linked?
A: No. For sport touring bikes, brakes that
can be used independently front and rear on
winding roads are part of the fun. Our view
is current Linked Brake Systems tend to
remove this fun factor – the underlying
principle of the C14.

I guess they decided the 2010 owners needed LESS FUN FACTOR

:rotflmao:

I also don't think the O/P's tech paper holds any credence if handed to a dealerships tech people, that are'nt willing to comply, But I do suggest being adament about them replacing the TPS parts, right up till the last minute....(I say this tongue in cheek, because I know mine needs to be replaced this year...... :stirpot: :thumbs:   )

So not only are the newer bikes slower, they're less fun as well?    :stirpot:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Seems that way, doesn't it?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Now, now, Mr. Poke.  Don't get yer knickers in a twist before you take it in...  Save it for the actual confrontation.

I will have you know that I don't wear knickers!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline bigguy63

Getting low battery message when cold ....Checked with dealer Kawasaki Okayed new monitors .....My 08 is getting new monitors and im replacing the tires at the same time also....Trying Metzler Z8.....

Offline PH14

This is my favorite part and why I bought the 2009 without ABS.

"Q: Are the front and rear brakes linked?
A: No. For sport touring bikes, brakes that can be used independently front and rear on winding roads are part of the fun. Our view is current Linked Brake Systems tend to remove this fun factor – the underlying principle of the C14.

::) :doublepuke:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver

A: No. For sport touring bikes, brakes that can be used independently front and rear on winding roads are part of the fun. Our view is current Linked Brake Systems tend to remove this fun factor – the underlying principle of the C14.

::) :doublepuke:

Yep, they kinda backpedaled on that, didn't they?  In Kawasaki's defense, however, note they said "current Linked Brake Systems tend to remove this fun factor".  They designed a different system with weak linking that is also adjustable.  The gen-2 brakes are still mostly what you apply;  if you activate the front brakes, you get mostly front; back, you get mostly back.  And there are two modes so you can link weakly or a little stronger.  They didn't go for what was more typical at the time they wrote that, which were HEAVILY linked brakes and with zero adjustment.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14

Same here (2008 w/ ABS).  Nothing I have read about the C14's linked brakes would invalidate the above statement. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline PH14

Same here (2008 w/ ABS).  Nothing I have read about the C14's linked brakes would invalidate the above statement.

I agree. I had linked brakes on a Goldwing and I didn't mind too much but would have preferred them to not be linked. The front end was more relaxed on a Wing. In slow parking lot maneuvers at full lock I always found the rear brake more useful since the front brake was more likely to upset the bike. For full on sport riding I want to control the brakes myself--for the fun factor as well as the proper control factor.